Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pte W Abbott, Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers

pipkins59

Hi All,

My wife's grandfather served in the Great War, I found him on the national roll of the great war "section XII" where he is listed as Pte W Abbott, Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers, he made it through the war despite losing his full calf on one leg, once patched up he served in egypt etc.. he eventually died in 1972.

My questions would be that I can find no mention of him on ancestry or findmypast with the regiment, no MIC or anything, is there anywhere else I can try?

Also he was born in London, lived in Great Barford , Beds, is the Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers an Irish regiment, why would/ how could he have joined them?

His brother James was a gunner in the Tank Corps and through talking with my mother in-law she remembers he was older and apparently you could have close family in your regiment so this sopposedly was what happened, they apparently had two weeks together before James was killed in action at Kemmel Hill, so my other question is this, could William have served with the tank corps then on the loss of his brother served with the RIF?

Thanks in anticipation

Steve

Sorry , Ive just found out he was with Northamptonshire Regt Pte 24379 W Abbott , would he have transfered to RIF ?

his medal card on Ancestry shows 24379 Northamptonshire REgt and then 31127 Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers.

British War Medal, Victory Medal and Silver War Badge.

the only James Abbott, Tank Corps death I can see on SDGW is

Name:James Walter Charles AbbottBirth Place:Blanham, BedsDeath Date:25 Apr 1918Death Location:France & FlandersEnlistment Location:Ampthill, BedsRank:PrivateRegiment:Tank CorpsNumber:301555Type of Casualty:Killed in action

Theatre of War:Western European TheatreComments:Formerly 25133, Bedford Regiment.

Medal card shows Victory Medal and British War Medal

his medal card on Ancestry shows 24379 Northamptonshire REgt and then 31127 Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers.

British War Medal, Victory Medal and Silver War Badge.

the only James Abbott, Tank Corps death I can see on SDGW is

Name:James Walter Charles AbbottBirth Place:Blanham, BedsDeath Date:25 Apr 1918Death Location:France & FlandersEnlistment Location:Ampthill, BedsRank:PrivateRegiment:Tank CorpsNumber:301555Type of Casualty:Killed in action

Theatre of War:Western European TheatreComments:Formerly 25133, Bedford Regiment.

Medal card shows Victory Medal and British War Medal

Hi,

Thank you for the reply, I've searched ancestry many times using every connutation and kept coming up blank or the incorrect person found, since seeing that you found him I've since done it myself so now have his MIC on record, just looking for service/pension docs now,

Best regards

Steve

• Admin

I'm very glad someone found it for you!

I think Ancestry's search engine must be one of the most appalling search engines ever created - surely they must have had plenty of feedback by now from their "customers". Know idea why they can't simply improve it - the relevant search information (subject to transcription errors, which there are quire a few - but, hey, there are millions of records) is already there just waiting to be searched efficiently.

I've often found that the more fields I enter with accurate information, the less likely it is I will get a hit!

Rant over

Russ

I think Ancestry's search engine must be one of the most appalling search engines ever created

I would give my vote to National Archive, but that is another debate

On Ancestry if you go to the search page, at top right you will see go to "old search" and you can toggle between the "old" and "new" (basically just two different ways of interrogating a data base.

You will find you get completely different results. It also pays to know about, and how to use, wild cards

I'm very glad someone found it for you!

I think Ancestry's search engine must be one of the most appalling search engines ever created - surely they must have had plenty of feedback by now from their "customers". Know idea why they can't simply improve it - the relevant search information (subject to transcription errors, which there are quire a few - but, hey, there are millions of records) is already there just waiting to be searched efficiently.

I've often found that the more fields I enter with accurate information, the less likely it is I will get a hit!

Rant over

Russ

Hi Russ,

Totally agree, its even worse if you use it with family tree software , like I said I searched many times to the point of giving up, it definately needs a revamp cos its a shame that it seems most records are maybe not found due to this,

Thats my rant over too,

Regards

Steve

I would give my vote to National Archive, but that is another debate

On Ancestry if you go to the search page, at top right you will see go to "old search" and you can toggle between the "old" and "new" (basically just two different ways of interrogating a data base.

You will find you get completely different results. It also pays to know about, and how to use, wild cards

Thanks for the info, I'll give it a try

Steve

• Admin

Corisande

OK I found the "old search" version - there are pros and cons between this and the new search I've alreday discovered

Can you please give me a few tips on the use of wild cards in Ancestry

For example: If I wanted to find all the Medal Index Cards of soldiers in a certain regiment between, say, Service Numbers X and Y, what what do I type in the various search fields?

Obviously I would type the regiment - but what wild cards can I use in the Service Number field?

Cheers

Russ

With say "Inniskilling Fusiliers" try "Inn* Fus*" I know I can get different results with Dubling Fusiliers by this method.

With service nos try combinations like 467???

Have a look at in ancestry help

It is an art not a science :)