Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Anthony Crean - Connaught Rangers

malvec

Hi all,

I am looking for any info on a relation of mine:

Anthony Crean 6387 who was in the Connaught Rangers. He served in the Boer war and got injured Colenso in 1899, he then was the stationed in India. The info we are really interested in is during the first world war. We, in the family, have been told that he was stationed in Barracks due to age, haven risen to Sergeant or Sergeant Major, however in c1915 he was killed while stationed in The Curragh from some rifle incident/accident. I can find no info on how he died. Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

Pat Fleming

the only info I can find re A Crean is the Boer War casualty info which I assume you already have :

Name: A Crean

Casualty Type: Wounded

Casualty Date: 15 Dec 1899

Casualty Place: Colenso

Force: Natal Field Force

Regiment: Connaught Rangers

Battalion: 1st

Number: 6387

WW1 medal card for 1st Battn Connaught Rangers number 6387 pulls up a Private Christie Aris who was awarded the BWM and VM.

Nothing found on SDGW, Ireland's Memorial Records or CWGC or medal rolls for Anthony Crean.

Do you have any medals belonging to Anthony Crean from WW1 (name, number, regiment on rim) or any info re birth year, parents, birth location that might offer other search criteria?

Thanks a mill to both of you for the replies. I have emailed that man 1st and will wait to see what he comes back with.

Regards

Pat

Malvec, I don't think you can received PM's yet. Regarding A Crean, ask this man, he will know.

(remove the spaces before and after the '@')

This email address will be removed at 6 pm.

Cheers.

Tom,.

Malvec, delete that email from your last post please.

Hi,

The only other info I have is that he was born 1879 in Ballina, County Mayo.

Thanks

Pat

the only info I can find re A Crean is the Boer War casualty info which I assume you already have :

Name: A Crean

Casualty Type: Wounded

Casualty Date: 15 Dec 1899

Casualty Place: Colenso

Force: Natal Field Force

Regiment: Connaught Rangers

Battalion: 1st

Number: 6387

WW1 medal card for 1st Battn Connaught Rangers number 6387 pulls up a Private Christie Aris who was awarded the BWM and VM.

Nothing found on SDGW, Ireland's Memorial Records or CWGC or medal rolls for Anthony Crean.

Do you have any medals belonging to Anthony Crean from WW1 (name, number, regiment on rim) or any info re birth year, parents, birth location that might offer other search criteria?

There are two Crean/Creane's in PJ Clarkes @Mayo Comrades of the Great War, both from Ballina, one from Breaffy(Robert) and the other from Ardnaree (Michael AKA 'Ginger'). Michael was invalided out of the army, part of his leg was amputated. I cannot find anything more on them in his book. Perhaps if you PM him on this forum he may be able to help you.

Regards.

Tom.

Thanks will do

Pat

There are two Crean/Creane's in PJ Clarkes @Mayo Comrades of the Great War, both from Ballina, one from Breaffy(Robert) and the other from Ardnaree (Michael AKA 'Ginger'). Michael was invalided out of the army, part of his leg was amputated. I cannot find anything more on them in his book. Perhaps if you PM him on this forum he may be able to help you.

Regards.

Tom.

Hi Pat,one way of nailing it might be to get a death cert from the UK Natioanal Archives and establish a date and cause of death.Then you could try researching local newspapers like the Leinster leader.

I am researching a 1BN Connaught Ranger as well who served in India (my friend has a photo of some of the BN in Dagshai India 1910) but the odd thing was that on war outbreak this soldier was part of 3 BN reserve and drafted to 2BN who merged with 1BN end of 1914.So it would be interesting to know perhaps if the same is true of your man ie that he was in one of the C Rangers reserves BN's at the outbreak and didn't see service perhaps because of his Boer War wound.

I have a panoramic photograph of the Connaught Rangers before they went to India from Dover. There must be 1000 men, all the officers and the band but not a single mascot, funny that.

Very nice. We have Anthony's English Dictonary with the following note: A Crean No2 Company INA (2 shillings)

Does this help in tracking him in any way?

I would interpret INA as "Irish National Army" especially seeing "No 2 Company". BA was normally A, B, C etc Company. Is there a publication date for the dictionary?

Hi museumtom,would there be any chance of a copy of that photo,even a scan.

Thanks/Liam

Hi Pat,one way of nailing it might be to get a death cert from the UK Natioanal Archives and establish a date and cause of death.

Death certificates are not held at Kew. It's the General Register Office which looks after these