Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

~ Sheet 57d NE ~

Wendy Macpherson

Hello all

Would anyone have a copy of sheet 57d NE prefer April or May 1918 if possible. I'd like to see where the third New Zealand Rifle Brigade were at Colincamps ~ Courcelles ~ Bertrancourt. Particular interest is La Signy Farm. So a photo of the bottom left corner of sheet 57d NE would be very much appreciated.

It's after midnight here in New Zealand so I'm off to bed and will check in again first thing in the morning :blush:

Regards Wendy

The best I can do is February 1917 I'm afraid. from TNA CD from N and M press.

Roger

post-42671-0-45383000-1309699109.jpg

Thank you Roger, thats great :)

I would still like a photo of the bottom left corner of 57d NE please.

The villages of Colincamps ~ Courcelles ~ Bertrancourt.

The Kiwis and Aussies were in this area the morning of the 5th March 1918. The Germans opened an intense bombardment at 5am on the 5th that continued for three hours. Our HQ at Colincamps was very nearly hit. By 10am the young chap that I'm looking into at the moment, Pte Louis MacLeod was believed to be advancing with the 4th Battalion in the area of La Signy Farm.

He was wounded in the head on the 14th and removed to the No1 New Zealand Field Ambulance and later died at the Canadian Stationary Hospital on the 15th. I'm still reading the official history and yet to confirm where the 4th Battalion was on the 14th apparently they were 'straighting the line' so would imagine they were still on this part of the salient.

Wendy

Here's the same area shown on Roger's map but from a trenchmap dated 14th June 1918 (edition 5d(Local) )...

Dave

post-357-0-65571300-1309734625.jpg