Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

William Niven Reid

Fedelmar

William Niven Reid was 36 when he enlisted in the AIF having been born in Glasgow Scotland 23rd March 1882 (according to his attestation form. He stated that he had previously Served 6 years in 3rd.L.R.V. Scottish Rifles.

Reid is one of those soldiers that 'jumps out at you'. He is buried in Karrakatta Cemetery in Western Australia. One day during a visit for some other reason I walked past his grave and something made me go back and take a photograph. This was a couple of years ago from memory ... now he is jumping out at me again!

According to his AIF service record, 13 pages in all, there is nothing much to tell about him other than he was a Lt in the 28th Bn.

He died in 1933, not sure what from but from accounts it appears to be war related.

Can anyone add to this snippet of information on this man please?

Bright Blessings

Sandra

There is a William N Reid on 1891 Scotland Census listed at 7 Garturk Street, Glasgow.

Jane Reid 35 Living on private means

John Reid 11

William N Reid 9

Janet A Reid 7

David M Reid 4

Alexander J Reid 1

1901 Census - 218 Allison Street:

Jane Reid 44

John Reid 20 Missionary, Glasgow City

Wm N Reid 19 Clerk

David H Reid 14 Clerk

Alex J Reid 11 Scholar

He also shows up on someone's personal tree - no other information beyond dob and mother's name Jane Manson.

Thanks for that. It adds a little more to his story. He gave his occupation on enlistment as a Commercial Traveller. The family were living at 30 Colin Crescent West Perth W. Aust at the time.

I have a family tree for him and could possibly locate his great grand children here but will leave that to the last to cross off the list.

Bright Blessings

Sandra

Still looking for information on the 3rd.L.R.V. Scottish Rifles please.

It strikes me as a bit 'odd' that this man has no story! If not why not? :blush:

That is a start :)

I find it hard to believe that this man became a Lt in the AIF 28th Bn and hasn't a story to tell. Has to be something other than the standard stuff!

Bright Blessings

Sandra