Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Collingwood Battalion, Gallipoli, June 1915.

kkinsella

Hi Everyone,

On a recent visit to the National Archives in London, I was unable to get any relevant information on the Collingwood Battalion in Gallipoli, June 1915. SUB-LIEUTENANT GERALD PLUNKETT, Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve, Collingwood Battalion (R.N. Division), was killed in action on 4 June 1915, age 27. I would be grateful for any information on the activities of the Collingwood Battalion in June 1915 in Gallipoli?

Best wishes,

Ken.

Hi Ken,

The 3rd Battle for Krithia took place on 4th June,1915. The RND were heavily involved including Collingwood Bn. From the official history, page48:-

"At a quarter past twelve, in long extended line, the Collingwoods moved forward as steadily as if on parade. But just before reaching the Turkish trenches they were caught by a murderous fire from their right flank. Practically the whole battalion was annihilated. The few survivors with parties of the Howe and Hood, pushed steadily forward, and captured the brigade's second objective.----. The ill fated Collingwood had literally ceased to exist."

Hope this helps,

Robert

Hi Everyone,

On a recent visit to the National Archives in London, I was unable to get any relevant information on the Collingwood Battalion in Gallipoli, June 1915. SUB-LIEUTENANT GERALD PLUNKETT, Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve, Collingwood Battalion (R.N. Division), was killed in action on 4 June 1915, age 27. I would be grateful for any information on the activities of the Collingwood Battalion in June 1915 in Gallipoli?

Best wishes,

Ken.

There is a history of the Collingwood Battalion, in which there is a photo of Sub-Lt Plunkett with a penpic and a short account of his death from a surviving platoon member. Not sure what you have but if you would like this please PM me your email address and I'll scan and send it.

The Collingwood battalion had a very short, disastrous life. They arrived in the front line fort No 1 in Antwerp on 5th October 1914, their first taste of war, and underwent 3 days of heavy shelling. On 8th October they were ordered to retire. In the confusion that followed only 22 out of 700 originals reached England; the rest interned or prisoners.

The surviving 22 formed the nucleus of the new Collingwood. Early morning on May 30th 1915 the Battalion arrived on Gallipoli alongside the 'River Clyde'

On June 4th at noon, the Collingwood went over the top. Within 45 minutes 24 Officers and over 500 OR's became casualties.

From June 5th began the process of breaking up Collingwood and so it ceased to exist. Its front line experience lasted about 7 days and it was wiped out twice as a fighting force.

There is a history of the Collingwood Battalion, in which there is a photo of Sub-Lt Plunkett with a penpic and a short account of his death from a surviving platoon member. Not sure what you have but if you would like this please PM me your email address and I'll scan and send it.

The Collingwood battalion had a very short, disastrous life. They arrived in the front line fort No 1 in Antwerp on 5th October 1914, their first taste of war, and underwent 3 days of heavy shelling. On 8th October they were ordered to retire. In the confusion that followed only 22 out of 700 originals reached England; the rest interned or prisoners.

The surviving 22 formed the nucleus of the new Collingwood. Early morning on May 30th 1915 the Battalion arrived on Gallipoli alongside the 'River Clyde'

On June 4th at noon, the Collingwood went over the top. Within 45 minutes 24 Officers and over 500 OR's became casualties.

From June 5th began the process of breaking up Collingwood and so it ceased to exist. It's front line experience lasted about 7 days and it was wiped out twice as a fighting force.

Hi there,

Thank you for this information and I will PM my email address to you. I will delighted to receive the photo of Sub-Lt Plunkett and a short account of his death.

Regards,

Ken.

RND ex-OTC, Trinity, Dublin. He commnanded No.2 Platoon of 'A' Company.

horatio2,

Thank you for this information, which Is most useful.

Regards,

Ken.

Hi Ken,

The 3rd Battle for Krithia took place on 4th June,1915. The RND were heavily involved including Collingwood Bn. From the official history, page48:-

"At a quarter past twelve, in long extended line, the Collingwoods moved forward as steadily as if on parade. But just before reaching the Turkish trenches they were caught by a murderous fire from their right flank. Practically the whole battalion was annihilated. The few survivors with parties of the Howe and Hood, pushed steadily forward, and captured the brigade's second objective.----. The ill fated Collingwood had literally ceased to exist."

Hope this helps,

Robert

Hi Robert,

Thank you very much, this a great information, and certainly helps.

Regards,

Ken.

Hi Robert,

Thank you very much, this a great information, and certainly helps.

Regards,

Ken.

Glad to be of assistance.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Anyone know anything about Sub-Lieutenant Louis E. Tucker, also of Collingwood Battalion, killed in the same attack?

Cheers,

Hugh.

Hugh I have information on and a photo photo this person and many other officers and men of Collingwood Battalion RND. If you are still looking I can let you have it no problem.

LL

• 1 month later...
Guest MaureenS

i have a copy of my father's Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve service record. It states that he was part of the Collingwood Battalion from March 4 1915 to December 31 1915. From Jan 1916 to June 1918 he was with the Anson Battalion. He was wounded in France in march 1918.

I am new to military genealogy and would love to know more, especially now that I've read the above posts about Gallipoli.

Are there records available regarding the wounded. A F form 103 is noted on his record.

ms

He could not have been in Collingwood Battalion until 31 December 1915 because Collingwood (and Benbow) Battalion was disbanded on 9 June 1915 after the heavy losses in 3rd Battle of Krithia. I have no doubt your father was transferred to Anson Battalion on that date.

If he was an RNVR rating, his RNVR enlistment papers together with his Army Form(s) B.103 (and possibly other papers) are held at the Fleet Air Arm Museum:-

http://www.fleetairarm.com/royal-navy-royal-marines-services-records.aspx

Guest MaureenS

Many thanks for your response. I was able to get a copy of his service record from the National Archives. He was transferred on June 8 1915, though his "Service Certificate" gives the later date.

ms

• 2 years later...
On 25/09/2012 at 22:59, Hugh Pattenden said:

Anyone know anything about Sub-Lieutenant Louis E. Tucker, also of Collingwood Battalion, killed in the same attack?

Cheers,

Hugh.

IMG_1346.PNG

On 09/08/2014 at 17:46, MaureenS said:

i have a copy of my father's Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve service record. It states that he was part of the Collingwood Battalion from March 4 1915 to December 31 1915. From Jan 1916 to June 1918 he was with the Anson Battalion. He was wounded in France in march 1918.

I am new to military genealogy and would love to know more, especially now that I've read the above posts about Gallipoli.

Are there records available regarding the wounded. A F form 103 is noted on his record.

ms

Hello Maureen

if you are able to give me your father's name I have a documented account of the Collingwood Battalion in Gallipoli and can probably give you more information about him.

On 01/07/2011 at 17:04, kkinsella said:

Hi Everyone,

Best wishes,

Ken.

IMG_0930.JPG

IMG_0931.JPG

IMG_0932.JPG

IMG_0933.JPG

IMG_0934.JPG