Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Cork soldier "in Madras Presidency, from wounds received by panthe

museumtom

I came across a casualty with a strange description of his death, the paper says 'in Madras Presidency, from wounds received by panther". Has anyone ever come across this type of description in the past, Its completely new to me.

Kind regards.

Tom.

Hi Tom,I don't know as such but googling throws up Madras Presidency as a district of India under British rule and I assume the death was casused by a panther attack and subsequent wounds.

There seems to be a book as well called The Black Panther of the Madras Presidency but I don't know anything about it whether it's fiction or not.

Best Wishes,Liam

Off the top of my head, I believe British India was split into three presidencies: Bengal, Madras and a.n.other.

Whew, that's brilliant. I did not think it was a panther but maybe it was. Thanks for all the input guys, much appreciated. Kind regards.

Tom.

Off the top of my head, I believe British India was split into three presidencies: Bengal, Madras and a.n.other.

Bombay.

When the Honourable East India Company was taken in charge by the Crown (and Victoria became Empress of India - not to be confused with the Empress of Blanding, a totally different beast), the Presidencies were downgraded somewhat, but the separate commands remained, so Madras was a distinct entity until Partition.

The 3 Presidencies were Madras{which included Burma and the Straits Settlements, including Singapore}; Madras & Bombay {which included Aden}.

Regards,

Alf McM