Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lochnagar Crater

towisuk

Looking superb in the setting evening sun, the new cross after it's erection yesterday morning,

by a fantastic team of volunteers and "Friends of Lochnagar Crater"

regards

Tom

post-5284-0-02866700-1309415354.jpg

Superb and ready for tomorrow mornings ceremony.

TT

Lovely shot!

Roger

Was there on the 16th - Missed it!

Jim

Further preparations on-going by the team, ready for the 7:28am service in the morning...

regards

Tom

post-5284-0-76529800-1309443734.jpg

Does the new cross have a lightening conductor?

Does the new cross have a lightening conductor?

Why? To my knowledge the charge has been already set off 95 years ago B)

I am wondering about blasts from above rather than blasts from below! It would be a pity if the new cross got struck in the first thunderstorm.

David

I am wondering about blasts from above rather than blasts from below! It would be a pity if the new cross got struck in the first thunderstorm.

David

Hi David, I don't think it is worth while putting a lightning conductor on the cross, it stands on the chalk thrown up around the lip of the crater, chalk would not be a good electrical conductor for the current from a lightning strike.

You would have to install several long ground stakes in the surrounding field...not our property, to achieve anything like a low resistance path to ground. The cost of the copper conductor would be prohibitive, even if you could ensure it wouldn't "dissapear" overnight.

I hope that answers your question

regards

Tom

I am given to understand that the timbers from the original cross at Locccchnagar were from a church on tyneside. Do the timers from the new cross have any provenance. Dave

I am given to understand that the timbers from the original cross at Locccchnagar were from a church on tyneside. Do the timers from the new cross have any provenance. Dave

Check out the story of the cross from the Friends of Lochnagar Crater site Dave.....

http://www.lochnagarcrater.org/FriendsArticles.html#NewCross

regards

Tom

Lochnagar Crater, 6:00am this morning, the sun rises behind the New Cross 1st july 2011

post-5284-0-89189900-1309540839.jpg

"Lest We Forget"

regards

Tom

And the rim of the crater during the service....

Tom

post-5284-0-11287800-1309541593.jpg

I walked past the cross yesterday whilst doing an overnight Foncquevillers to Maricourt walk and I thought the cross looked a bit different. However it was about 1.30am so too dark for me to be sure. Hope we didn't wake anyone up who was in the camper vans!

Well done to the Friends of Lochnagar.

Neil

the cross is oak and come,s from brigg in lincs, made in midgley, wakefield by afriend of lochnagar and transported to france regards, a friend

the cross is oak and come,s from brigg in lincs, made in midgley, wakefield by afriend of lochnagar and transported to france regards, a friend

There will be an article in the Scunthorpe Telegraph about the new cross in the next few days, local interest being Brigg, the firm who supplied the oak for the cross are located there.

regards

Tom

All great news! The cross is magnificent. I visit two or three times a year, but back in early June it had not been erected.

Chris

Well done, those men!!