Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

9th Bn Yorkshire Rgt (Green Howard's)

jay dubaya

Hi folks,

having recently found the service papers of another Great Uncle I have discovered that on his return from Gallipoli with the 6th BN. he was posted to the 9th Bn after a short illness. After serving on the Western Front with the battalion the whole division was posted to Italy during November 1917. I have to admit I know absolutely nowt about the war in Italy so any information regarding the Green Howard's during this campaign or pointers in the right direction would be very much appreciated,

cheers, Jon

Jon

I'd suggest the divisional history of the 23rd Division to which this battalion belonged. I couldn't say what detail it has on the 9th Green Howards but it may be a start - sadly I currently don't have access to my copy.

I hope this helps.

Colin

Hi folks,

having recently found the service papers of another Great Uncle I have discovered that on his return from Gallipoli with the 6th BN. he was posted to the 9th Bn after a short illness. After serving on the Western Front with the battalion the whole division was posted to Italy during November 1917. I have to admit I know absolutely nowt about the war in Italy so any information regarding the Green Howard's during this campaign or pointers in the right direction would be very much appreciated,

cheers, Jon

Hello Jon,

These are the only 3 pages devoted to the 9th Bn's time in Italy from "The Green Howards in the Great War" by HC Wylly.

From page 312:

On the 8th November the 9th Bn Green Howards moved in the morning to St Martin au Laert and entraining by half battalions at Arques, set out on its long journey to the Italian front

4kfpt3.jpg

zlun1e.jpg

314cfwz.jpg

If these pages are a bit too small to read I can e-mail them to you.

Cheers,

Mick.

• 2 weeks later...

Great stuff, thanks for that Mick. My great uncle was originally with the 11th Bn. before being posted to the 9th Bn in July 1916 (saw service in Galipoli with the 6th Bn). Could I please ask if you could also look up these battalions,

much appreciated, cheers

Jon

Great stuff, thanks for that Mick. My great uncle was originally with the 11th Bn. before being posted to the 9th Bn in July 1916 (saw service in Galipoli with the 6th Bn). Could I please ask if you could also look up these battalions,

much appreciated, cheers

Jon

Hello John,

This is all it has on the 11th Bn.

24oraqa.jpg

2rohqqb.jpg

You'll need to PM me an e-mail for the rest. I've scanned the 6th Bn from 1914 to July 1916 and there's 20+ pages.

One of my cousins Pte George Henry Brogden (in my sig) was with the Green Howards, he landed in Gallipoli on the 5th Dec 1915, presumably as a reinforcement to the 6th Bn. He was killed in August 1916 with the 9th Bn. He's no service papers so I'm not sure when, where or why he changed battalions. (My great grandfathers younger brother was killed with the 2nd Bn in 1914)

Cheers,

Mick.