Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Relatives Royal Engineer Number

TParker96

Hi,

One of my relatives called John Edward Hazel was a Sapper in the Royal Engineers. His regiment number was WR/276521 which i know stands for Waterworks & Railways, i know he was in the railways part of the Royal Engineers but is there anyway that i can find out exactly what part of the RE he was based in. I did find out from the national roll of honour that he joined in 1916 and went overseas in the same year and he was present at he battles of the somme, ypres, arras and many engagements including the great advance and retreat of 1918 and that he was demobilised in 1919.

Hopefully someone can help

Tom

• 3 weeks later...

I checked MICs, service records, casualties and London Gazette listings of men with service numbers around John Edward Hazel's, and they all came up with the very same Royal Engineers unit -- the 61st Broad Gauge Workshop Coy.

Before he was transferred to the Royal Engineers, Mr. Hazel was with the Manchester Regiment (possibly 1/8th Battalion) and the Royal West Kents (possibly 3rd Battalion).

Hi,

That's brilliant! That would make sense as according to his medal roll he served with the 17th Battalion Manchester Regiment and according to the information in his bible it looks like he served with the 3rd Royal West Kent Regiment so it all makes sense. It's great to find out where he served in the Royal Engineers.

Thank you for your help

Tom