Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

German bsckpack

rayoung74

Wotcha guys

I have need of your brains once again. I recently purchased a Backpack German but am unsure how old. I assume there is somewhere that there should be a date or year of manufacture on it. I will be posting a couple of picture's tomorrow to make life easier for you.

Thanks

Youngie

Wotcha guys

I have need of your brains once again. I recently purchased a Backpack German but am unsure how old. I assume there is somewhere that there should be a date or year of manufacture on it. I will be posting a couple of picture's tomorrow to make life easier for you.

Thanks

Youngie

A lot of German kit was marked with the year of manufacture, and perhaps a code for the manufacturer. (I am not an expert here, but they lurk in dark corners of the Forum) My father told me that the boots that he was issued as he entered the German Army in 1915 were older than he was.

Bob Lembke

I recently bought and sold a WW2 Pony-fur backpack. This was marked on the top central leather fitting with the makers name and the date (1939 in that case). The wide straps were also maker and date marked. I would have thought WW1 packs would be the same.

John

Sorry for the delay guys here are the pictures as promised.

post-29816-0-15230900-1309713521.jpg

There are a few more to follow.

post-29816-0-32835900-1309714184.jpg

Alittle aside with this picture. What you are looking at is the inside of the pack. The flap that covers this is attached with a wooden rod which you can remove. The flaps you can see in this picture cover the inside of the pack which dimensions are approximatley 2 ft 4 high 1 ft wide and 3 inches deep.

As mentioned in the previous post this is the top flap removed with the large internal pocket visible. The leather loops on the right of the pcture are where the wooden rod attaches this part too the main body of the pack.

post-29816-0-17181400-1309714871.jpg

There are the following markings on the pack on a plate in the middle of the back.

Weber Franz

2 Ziig or Zug (difficult to read) III/188

at the base of the pack there are 2 leather blocks and between them there is a metal hook with a lether strap that covers it and the following.

E.D. Gobbler

Sattler

Staffa

Below these is stamped a 36 and below that a 3

The shoulder straps have numbers on the holes to adjust there size from 1 to 7

Lastly there is a stamp on the leather at the top of the pack.

C BRONNIMANN

SATTLEREI

ZURICH

O.K. Thats all the information I have.

The thought occurs to me that this may be an inter war or possibly 2nd WW pack. My reason for thinking this is that possibly the 36 over a 3 is the year of manufacture and Zurich could be where it was made for the German army much like there was webbing being made for the the British and commonwealth in several countries.

Thanks in advance for any info

Youngie.

Sorry .But this is backpack was worn in Switzerland .He wasnt worn by german troops.

Regards Sven

I agree. The photos are rather small but this pack is similar to the German Packs but has different straps and covers.

John

Thanks chaps. I was a bit suspicious when I saw the Zurich marking but wasn't cerrtain.

Youngie

There are the following markings on the pack on a plate in the middle of the back.

Weber Franz

2 Ziig or Zug (difficult to read) III/188 2 Ziig, III/188 would suggest "2nd Platoon, 3rd Battalion, 188th Regiment" But I did not think that the Swiss army was that large.

at the base of the pack there are 2 leather blocks and between them there is a metal hook with a lether strap that covers it and the following.

E.D. Gobbler

Sattler This means Saddler, the profession that might make leather packs.

Staffa

Below these is stamped a 36 and below that a 3

The shoulder straps have numbers on the holes to adjust there size from 1 to 7

Lastly there is a stamp on the leather at the top of the pack.

C BRONNIMANN

SATTLEREI Means "saddle-making establishment", possibly in Swiss dialect.

ZURICH Have not heard of Swiss firms making military supplies for Germany. Might have triggered an Allied attack for breaking the blockade.

O.K. Thats all the information I have.

The thought occurs to me that this may be an inter war or possibly 2nd WW pack. My reason for thinking this is that possibly the 36 over a 3 is the year of manufacture and Zurich could be where it was made for the German army much like there was webbing being made for the the British and commonwealth in several countries.

Thanks in advance for any info

Swiss modify or upgrade their equipment very slowly. They only recently modified their Model 1905 army bicycle; bicycles being important to their army.

Youngie.

Bob