Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Ancestry look-up, please

John(txic)

306930 Pte Edward Hale, Kings Liverpool Regiment.

In search of my paternal Grandfather: do his papers survive?

John

Had a look couldn't find anything, did he survive the war?

Duncan

Hi,

Tried looking for his service papers and his Medal Index Card and couldn't find one with 306930 as the regiment number.

But i did find a Howard Hale with the same regiment number and was in the Liverpool Regiment. Could that be him or a relation?

Tom

306930 Pte Edward Hale, Kings Liverpool Regiment.

That was (probably) not his original service number - do you know what his original service number was

The Ancestry images published here are a breach of Forum rules and have been removed.

Yes, Duncan - he did; but minus a leg.

My father does not know which Regiment his father served in - he did not talk about the war at all. My father has a memory of finding some papers (50-odd years ago) that suggested he was in the "South Liverpools". I have looked at the on-line database of soldiers who served with the Liverpool Regiment, and there are 3 Edward Hales on there. One I had already investigated and ruled-out; he had enlisted circa 1915, and my father is sure that his father was conscripted in 1917 (at the age of 31, or thereabouts). The other Edward Hale on the Liverpool Regt database was a fatality, so 306930 is a possible maybe for my Grandad Hale.

He was a Gornal lad born & bred, and never lived anywhere else other than in Lower Gornal.

Alas, no, Corisande - my father's knowledge of his father's service is extremely sketchy, only knowing that after approx 14 weeks after conscription he came home again: not whole, but alive.

Thanks, one and all.

John

John

Had a look couldn't find anything, did he survive the war?

Duncan

Hi John.

Non military I'm afraid, but may help to identify the right Edward Hale.

Ancestry has one or two 'Edward Hales' listed as living in Sedgley/Gornal, but the closest seems to be one that was born around 1887 (so would make him potentially 30/31 years old around enlisting time of 1917) and who lived in Summit Place, Gornal. He had a couple of sisters named Maud & Sara and brothers Stephen, Isaa (or maybe Isaac) and James.

Hope this helps,

Andy.

The service papers that I have found similar to the man you are looking at all joined June/July 1915.

306923 - 15/6/1915

306924 - 17/6/1915

306990 - 13/7/1915

May indicate it's not the right man.

What about 235153 Edward Hale? He's got a SWB.

Thanks again, one and all.

I'll ask my Dad for the names of his uncles & aunts when I see him later today.

John

Andy,

Yes - that's him.

Now to track his short (but eventful) time with the BEF.......

Thanks,

John

Hi John.

Non military I'm afraid, but may help to identify the right Edward Hale.

Ancestry has one or two 'Edward Hales' listed as living in Sedgley/Gornal, but the closest seems to be one that was born around 1887 (so would make him potentially 30/31 years old around enlisting time of 1917) and who lived in Summit Place, Gornal. He had a couple of sisters named Maud & Sara and brothers Stephen, Isaa (or maybe Isaac) and James.

Hope this helps,

Andy.

IPT,

Thanks - do 235153's papers survive?

John

What about 235153 Edward Hale? He's got a SWB.