Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

GWF contribution to Centenary

Chris_Baker

The idea hasn't died or been decided - so please keep on making suggestions.

On thinking over this topic, I keep going back to the idea of a forum where GWF pals post something from a local newspaper of the time, perhaps where they live or work, on a Great War related story.

For example, in 2015, I could go back to a Sussex newspaper that date hundred years earlier, and post about how said newspaper covered a recruitment meeting addressed by church ministers on the seafront in Hove,

Next day, a pal in Belgium could draw on a local source to find a Great War related article, the following day a pal in Australia , and so on. We could draw on the international membership of the GWF this way.

Regards

Michael Bully

• 1 month later...

I had a thought after reading this in John Green's The Fault in Our Stars:

"There are about fourteen dead people for every living person,’ he said. ‘I did some research on this several years ago. I was wondering if everybody could be remembered. Like, if we got organized and assigned a certain number of corpses to each living person, would there be enough living people to remember all the dead people?’

‘And there are?’

‘Sure, anyone can name fourteen dead people. But we’re disorganized mourners, so a lot of people end up remembering Shakespeare, and no one ends up remembering the person he wrote Sonnet Fifty-five about.’”

Obviosuly this would be far too big an undertaking to really happen, but could we make it work remembering the 10 million soldiers that died in WW1? Or perhaps just the British soldiers, although it'd be much better if it was internationally-inclusive.

I feel like this is a bit too big, but maybe it's something that could be started up for the centenary. Just a thought I had that might be worth sharing.

• 9 months later...

Bumping this up again. I presume we've reached the conclusion that this is too great an undertaking for the GWF alone? If this is so, I wonder if we should aim/push for a driving seat at the table on the IWM project? Would anyone on the admin team be in a position to attend decision meetings?

The big decisions re the IWM project have been made. See the announcement and the discussion threads that relate. We are not invited to take a seat on a project board, and really, we wouldn't either expect or want to be. We have had some discussions with Luke Smith and his colleagues, and as you will see from the threads, the IWM are listening to comments from our members. I think that is really every bit as much as we could hope for.

Keith

... I think that is really every bit as much as we could hope for.

Fair enough, Keith. But I think you underestimate the importance of GWF...

Norrette