Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Dronfield War Memorial

mooke07

Hi all,

I have been researching my ancestor Private John Edward Morley, 9698 of the 1st Leicestershire Regiment who was killed on 22/11/1914 in France. I have been provided via the Forum details of his death from shellfire of which I am most appreciative of. His name is shown on the Ropsley Church of St Peter where he was born near Grantham, Lincolnshire. He is shown on the 1911 Census as living in Buckingham Terrace, Dronfield and so I was wondering if he is also remembered on the Dronfield War memorial now in the grounds of The Manor House in Dronfiled. There is an image on the web of the front of the memorial but not of the names recorded on it.

Does anyone have the names on this memorial to see if he is recorded on it. His service record does not survive however he is thought to have enlisted in Melton Mowbray so he still may have been living in Dronfield when he enlisted in late April - early May 1913.

Any assistance would be appreciated, regards Dean.

.... also a rather poor photo of your man's name on the Ploegstreet Memorial (about 11 down on the right column). If you PM me I can send you a better version - but not a lot better really, it was quite an awful day when we visited and couldn't get the light right.

I have most of the 1st Bn. burials for Aug - Dec 1914 if there are any others you are interested in. My great uncle served with them and is buried in Le Touret - see dedication below :poppy: .

Best wishes

Graham

post-37838-0-56734800-1309089026.jpg

Thanks Graham and Sue for the quick replies and apologies for mine being tardy I am currently in Washington DC and have had a few problems with internet access.

Great to have the picture of the memorial best if you could email me dr_deano@hotmail.com a picture, really appreciate that. I am very pleased to have the original war diary extract Graham.

Sue many thanks for checkng the memorial it was just a hunch that he might have been on there. He may be on another in the area as although he was born in Grantham he was shown on 19111 census in Dronfield and enlisted Melton Mowbray hence 1st Leicestershire regiment. A common thread of interest Graham, tragic to have had that loss from the Great War. My maternal grandmother died quite soon after the war from the hardship of raising a family after loosing her husband Harry Morley, John's brother with 2nd Leicesters.

What a generation, Lest We Forget, I am touched with your thoughtfulness of replies, regards Dean.

Hi Dean,

I'm afraid it's not much help but I have checked my database of those form the Parish of Eckington (very close to Dronfield) that died in the two World Wars and have only one Morley

MORLEYHubertPrivate 40414 2nd Bn Royal Scots Fusiliers 23 April 1917 Age 28 Son of John and Emma Morley of Marsh Lane, Eckington, Sheffield D 30 Bootham Cemetery, France b. Eckington enlisted Doncaster

He is named on the Marsh Lane War Memorial.

I doubt he is related to your family.

Simon

• 3 months later...

Dean

John Edward Morley has a memorial inside the church at Somerby, nr Grantham.

Hi all,

I have been researching my ancestor Private John Edward Morley, 9698 of the 1st Leicestershire Regiment who was killed on 22/11/1914 in France. I have been provided via the Forum details of his death from shellfire of which I am most appreciative of. His name is shown on the Ropsley Church of St Peter where he was born near Grantham, Lincolnshire. He is shown on the 1911 Census as living in Buckingham Terrace, Dronfield and so I was wondering if he is also remembered on the Dronfield War memorial now in the grounds of The Manor House in Dronfiled. There is an image on the web of the front of the memorial but not of the names recorded on it.

Does anyone have the names on this memorial to see if he is recorded on it. His service record does not survive however he is thought to have enlisted in Melton Mowbray so he still may have been living in Dronfield when he enlisted in late April - early May 1913.

Any assistance would be appreciated, regards Dean.

post-43180-0-99508000-1319287845.jpg