Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Territorial force

munchkin

Hi All,

I have just read the long long trail section on territorial forces. I am researching the 1/7th Bn T.F Duke of Wellingtons. I understand from what i have read, that the unit was composed of men who had territorial training, or who had seen service before. Was this true throuhout war?.

Glynn.

No, is the simple answer. The Army grew so dramatically throughout the war that inexperienced recruits could find themselves in any unit of the Army, including the territorials who were much as they are today, part time soldiers with ordinary jobs.

Ken

Thanks Ken,

I wondered if this was the case, as there cant have been Terratorials in that amount of numbers to sustain the war effort for 4 years.

Thanks

Glynn.

Thanks Ken,

I wondered if this was the case, as there cant have been Territorials in that amount of numbers to sustain the war effort for 4 years.

Thanks

Glynn.

After the initial first flush of Territorial Members already serving as such,in the TF Battalions; the Ranks of the TF Battalions would have been swollen by new recruits,from August 1914 onwards,who would have been embodied to serve in whichever Battalion/Regiment needed them,so in effect for the Duration they would have been as other Soldiers Territorials by name only

Harry,

Would only recruits from certain areas have joined - in other words, as with West riding Duke of wellingtons Bn. Would recruits have only come from the west riding area. Or would anyone have been put in the Bn to swell the numbers of fighting men.

Glynn.

Harry,

Would only recruits from certain areas have joined - in other words, as with West riding Duke of wellingtons Bn. Would recruits have only come from the west riding area. Or would anyone have been put in the Bn to swell the numbers of fighting men.

Glynn.

Initially yes the Recruits would have been local,as the War progressed & Casualty places had to be filled,Recruit & Conscripts would have come from anywhere being posted to the Battalion as required{ Men serving in the 1/1 Cambridgeshire Regiment after around 1916 came from London,Devon,Scotland even the C.I.;

Re: West Riding DWR - you should read 'Cravens Part in the Great War' for refs. to btns. from that area. I can do look ups.

At embodiment TF units in this area expanded rapidly and many 2nd line units were formed. Further influxes of recruits later in the war (esp. with reference to re-numbering of artillery btys. March 1916) from the btns. initial catchment area can often get 'lost' in the machine (so to speak): the 4th West Riding RFA detached its two btys. of the previously named Otley and Ilkey Howitzers to the 246th and 245th RFA (Bradford and Leeds raised units - decidedly not from Wharfedale) before the Somme and continued on in a guise which barely reflected its initial formation.

My relative joined KOYLI's, but was from Yarm Co. Durham, and ended up in Notts&Derby. There'll be inumerable examples of this. Needs must as the devil drives I'm afraid.

Simon,

What do you know about the West Riding Soldiers Numbers. I am trying to find out when Pte Joseph Tew number 33108 actually joined. I unfortunatley cannot get to the pro to check (if his parer work survives. I just wondered if you knew how the numbers went in relation to joining up time??.

Glynn

Simon,

What do you know about the West Riding Soldiers Numbers. I am trying to find out when Pte Joseph Tew number 33108 actually joined. I unfortunatley cannot get to the pro to check (if his paper work survives. I just wondered if you knew how the numbers went in relation to joining up time??.

Glynn

This appears to be A "Derby" Number ie a Post Conscription Number{an early TF number would be 3 or 4 Figures below 5000 or a six figure TF number after 1916}

After the initial first flush of Territorial Members already serving as such,in the TF Battalions; the Ranks of the TF Battalions would have been swollen by new recruits,from August 1914 onwards,who would have been embodied to serve in whichever Battalion/Regiment  needed them,so in effect for the Duration they would have been as other Soldiers Territorials by name only

This is not quite right: the whole point of being a Territorial was that there was no legal requirement to serve overseas. When war broke out there was a big movement to join TF precisely for that reason: men were willing to defend their homes but they had jobs and wives they did not want to leave. I have statistics for this. Only in units where 80% of men could be pursuaded to volunteer for overseas was the unit sent [this % was dropped to 60 later]. There was a lot of arm-twisting. The blurring of the distinctions Territorial v Regular came much later and did not end until the Military Service Acts of 1916. That is not to say that TF men are not to be found in the ranks of Line or Service battalions, but, to begin with, this was neither intended nor welcome.

....The whole point of being a Territorial was that there was no legal requirement to serve overseas. When war broke out there was a big movement to join TF precisely for that reason: men were willing to defend their homes but they had jobs and wives they did not want to leave. I have statistics for this. Only in units where 80% of men could be pursuaded to volunteer for overseas was the unit sent [this % was dropped to 60 later]. There was a lot of arm-twisting. The blurring of the distinctions Territorial v Regular came much later and did not end until the Military Service Acts of 1916. That is not to say that TF men are not to be found in the ranks of Line or Service battalions, but, to begin with, this was neither intended nor welcome.

I wish I'd said that!

Thank You

Glynn

I would say that according to his number your relative was a reinforce ment into the 1/7th, probably 1917 or 1918.

The 1/7th were based , and raised, mainly in the Milnesbrige area originally and numbered up to about 5000. From September 1916 the surviving originals were renumbered within the series 305001 - 330000.

Charlie

Charlie,

My relative was from Sheffield in Yorkshire. As you point out he probably joined around September 1916 onwards looking at the numbers. I dont suppose anyone knows about the numbers in the West Yorkshire Regt (Prince of Wales Own), are they similar. The number i am talking about is 56530.

Thanks to you all, you have all been a great help.

Glynn.

Charlie,

Also from your last post you tell me that, after Sept 1916 the numbers changed to 305001 - 330000. These are six digit numbers. What i dont understand is that Josephs number was 33108, which is a 5 digit number?, why would this be.

Glynn.

Some general refs. for you re: DWR

Brereton, J.. and Savory, A.C.S. 'History of the DWR (West Riding) 1702-1992'.

DWR, Halifax.

Bales, P.G. Capt. 1920 'The History of the 1/4th DWR 1914-1919' Mortimer, Halifax.

Bruce, C.D. 1927 'History of the DWR (1st and 2nd btns.)' Medici Society, London.

Clayton, J.T. 1919 'Cravens Part in the Great War'. Morrison, Skipton.

- deals primarily with 1/6th and 2/6th btns. but passim refs. to 7th btns. throughout.

- covers casualties from Skipton, Keighley, Settle, Bingley, Haworth, Guiseley, Barnoldswick whether DWR or otherwise. Also refs. to Barnoldswick casualties from hospital ship Rohilla. Wide ranging.

Magnus, L. 'West Riding Territorials in the Great War'

Regimental Archive

Regimental Secretary

Duke of Wellingtons Regiment

RHQ

Wellersley Park

Halifax

HX2 0BA

- very helpful indeed.

The above books can cost a small fortune so go for look-ups, libraries and p.copies of relevant sections where available. Reference everything of course.

Local newspapers can help, try tracking down past issues in local or regional libraries, some may be on microfilm.

Thanks Simon,

I dont suppose you know where there are any good bookshops dealing in these old books do you.

It would be useful to have my own copies for reference.

Thanks again for all your help.

Glynn.

Cheers Simon,

Dont hesitate to ask if i can help you in anyway.

Glynn.

Glynn

The 6 digit numbers replaced the original 4 digit territorial ones. As your relative was not an original he appears to have a new army number.

Charlie

Charlie,

Also from your last post you tell me that, after Sept 1916 the numbers changed to 305001 - 330000. These are six digit numbers. What i dont understand is that Josephs number was 33108, which is a 5 digit number?, why would this be.

Glynn.

See above it is a later Derby Man's Conscription Number {5 Digits}rather than a post 1916;~ 6 Figure TF Number.

It implies he was conscripted after 1916.

Thanks Charlie

Thanks Harry

The replies to my post have been very helpful. Thanks to everyone for their help

Glynn.

• 4 weeks later...

Bales, P.G. Capt. 1920 'The History of the 1/4th DWR 1914-1919' Mortimer, Halifax.

This book has now been reprinted by the Naval and Military Press, at £22.50, in the back there is an itinerary of the battalion which is a useful guide to the location of all four battalions of the 147th Infantry Brigade, which includes the 1st 7th Duke of Wellingtons. Obviously they would usually be reasonably close together.

Thanks Tony,

no doubt i will be spending £22.50 this weekend.

Glynn.