Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Cookstown War Memorial

ARMAGH

From an other post on the GWF:Brothers Private Joseph Wilson--268272 + Private Thomas Wilson--268276

---both died on same day 1st April 1917-buried in Mareouil Cemetry--side by side.

6th Bn Black Watch

Both were sons of William and Jane Wilson from Shivey (small hamlet) near Cookstown, Co.Tyrone.

Believed that they lived in Grey St. Shettleson-Glasgow for a time.

Strangely on Cookstown Cenopath--Joseph is commerated but no mention of Thomas!!

I checked Cookstown War Memorial which is on the ulster memorial site and I can not find any of the Wilson Brothers on the list of names for the War Memorial ?

Can any member who lives near Cookstown check the War Memorial?

Looking for an address so as I can contact the Ulster War Memorials.

Many Thanks

Joe

Joe

I can assure you only one of the brothers is on Cookstown War Memorial. As joint author of the book "Cookstown War Dead in WW1&WW2" it has been noted and will be added in future--along with other names who need to be added from both wars. Wesley Wright

I can assure you only one of the brothers is on Cookstown War Memorial. As joint author of the book "Cookstown War Dead in WW1&WW2" it has been noted and will be added in future--along with other names who need to be added from both wars. Wesley Wright

Thanks Wesley

I could not find the name on the ulster memorial site? and you have it in hand for the other brother name to be added in the future, that is good news,have you any idea when it will be done? Will there be a service to mark the new names on the memorial? if so I would like to attend.

I see on the Ulster memorial site there is a Murdock.Wm Sgt-Major RH ? Royal Highlanders is that Black Watch? there is no Murdock on CWGC?

There is a MURDOCH, WILLIAMInitials:WNationality:United KingdomRank:Company Serjeant MajorRegiment/Service:Black Watch (Royal Highlanders)Unit Text:9th Bn.Date of Death:25/09/1915Service No:S/3848Casualty Type:Commonwealth War DeadGrave/Memorial Reference:Panel 78 to 83.Memorial:LOOS MEMORIAL

Joe

• 2 months later...

Thanks Wesley

I could not find the name on the ulster memorial site? and you have it in hand for the other brother name to be added in the future, that is good news,have you any idea when it will be done? Will there be a service to mark the new names on the memorial? if so I would like to attend.

I see on the Ulster memorial site there is a Murdock.Wm Sgt-Major RH ? Royal Highlanders is that Black Watch? there is no Murdock on CWGC?

There is a MURDOCH, WILLIAMInitials:WNationality:United KingdomRank:Company Serjeant MajorRegiment/Service:Black Watch (Royal Highlanders)Unit Text:9th Bn.Date of Death:25/09/1915Service No:S/3848Casualty Type:Commonwealth War DeadGrave/Memorial Reference:Panel 78 to 83.Memorial:LOOS MEMORIAL

Joe

Sorry for long delay in replying to above --William Murdoch was born in Lissan, near Cookstown and had already served 21 years when 1st World War declared. Served in India and South Africia and was living in Edinburgh when called up.

He is commemorated on Cookstown War Memorial and First Cookstown Presbyterian Roll of Honour.

Wesley Wright