Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Did Haig have a London residence

Stuart212

Apologies if this is in the wrong section but being new to this forum I thought this might be the right place for this question.

Can anyone please tell me, did Douglas Haig ever live in London, and if so, is there some sort of plaque on the building.

Also, can anyone please tell me of any other Great War personalities who lived in London, I will probably be in London next week and might get the chance for a look round.

Many thanks.

Stuart

Before moving to Bemersyde, during thhe war, the Haig family home was at Kingston Hill. His elder sister had a home in London and I would imagine that Haig used that if he needed to be in town. That is certainly where he sufered his fatal heart attack in 1928.

• Admin

Sir Edward Grey lived at 1 Queen Annes Gate. Might be worth looking up the English Heritage Blue Plaques to get a feel for who was where?

Michelle

Thank you Tom and Michelle.

I will search the blue plaques on-line, hopefully that will throw up something.

Tom, do you happen to know where in Kingston Hill his house was, and also where his sisters house was in London ?

Many thanks.

Stuart

John Buchan lived at 76 Portland Place from 1913-1919.

Siegfried Sassoon moved into 23 Campden Hill Square after the war and lived there until 1933.

• Admin

Vera Brittain lived in various London residences from the 20s onwards.

Michelle

Tom, do you happen to know where in Kingston Hill his house was, and also where his sister's house was in London ?

The Haigs lived at Eastcott House, Kingston Hill, from 1916 until 1923. The house is no longer there, but a small development of new houses nearby has been named Eastcott Close. Haig's sister Henrietta's house was 21 Princes Gate, in Knightsbridge.

Field Marshal French must have had a residence in London given that at the beginning of August 1914 Lloyd George tipped him off one evening that he ought to pop round to No 10 in the morning and see the Prime Minister

I came across this one on a recent visit to London, it's very close to the Tower Hill Memorial

Plaque erected in 1995 by English Heritage at 43 Trinity Square, Tower Hill, London EC3, London Borough of Tower Hamlets

Inscription REVEREND

P.T.B.

'TUBBY'

CLAYTON

1885-1972

Founder of Toc H

lived here Profession Anglican Clergyman Category Religion, Philanthropy and Reform Material Ceramic Shape Circular Colour Blue

Mandy

I pass the one to H H Munro aka Saki everday at 93 Mortimer St (near the BBC) Sniped in November 1916 his last words were apparently 'put that bl**dy cigarette out'.

Henry Williamson born 1.12.1895, at 66 Braxfield Rd., Brockley, London.

Edward Thomas born 3.3.1878 at 10 Upper Lansdowne Road North, Lambeth.

David Jones attended Camberwell School of Arts and Crafts, 1910-1914.

Robert Graves born 24.7.1895 at Red Branch House, Lauriston Road, Wimbledon

Ivor Gurney studied at the Royal College of Music 1911-1915 and 1918-1922.

(you may detect a theme, mine are all writers, but then, they're the ones I know about)

Vera Brittain lived in various London residences from the 20s onwards.

Michelle

Michelle

Vera Brittain worked as a nurse in Fishmongers Hall by London Bridge during the Great War, so I suspect she lived in London for some periods.

John

I came across this one on a recent visit to London, it's very close to the Tower Hill Memorial

Plaque erected in 1995 by English Heritage at 43 Trinity Square, Tower Hill, London EC3, London Borough of Tower Hamlets

Inscription REVEREND

P.T.B.

'TUBBY'

CLAYTON

1885-1972

Founder of Toc H

lived here Profession Anglican Clergyman Category Religion, Philanthropy and Reform Material Ceramic Shape Circular Colour Blue

Mandy

I have always assumed the property was church owned. Tubby Clayton was Vicar of All Hallows by the Tower from 1922 to 1962. There is a brass effigy of Tubby in the church if you ever have the chance to visit.

Regards,

Jonathan S

• Admin

I thought Vera B worked at 1st London General in Camberwell? She visited a friend at Fishmongers Hall in March 1916. She lived at Champion Hill when she was a VAD at Camberwell, and livved in Kensington with her parents in 1918.

There is a blue plaque to her and Winifred Holtby at Doughty Street, but nothing at her later London Residences, 19 Glebe Place and 2 Cheyne Walk

Michelle

I thought Vera B worked at 1st London General in Camberwell? She visited a friend at Fishmongers Hall in March 1916. She lived at Champion Hill when she was a VAD at Camberwell, and livved in Kensington with her parents in 1918.

There is a blue plaque to her and Winifred Holtby at Doughty Street, but nothing at her later London Residences, 19 Glebe Place and 2 Cheyne Walk

Michelle

You may be right, it's a few years since I read the book of her letters. Anyway Camberwell and Kensington are central London as well. Hardly the suburbs.

John

Chris, many thanks for those two, do you happen to know what number Lancaster Gate F.M French lived at ?

Cheers.

Stuart

Field Marshal Wilson lived in London too- a quick google gives both 15 Eaton Place and 36 Eaton place!He was shot on his front doorstep in 1922.

Greg

• 4 months later...
Guest Paul Barton

Kitchener lived at 2 Carlton House Terrace (off Pall Mall and a short walk from Leicester Square).

There's also a statue of de Gaulle nearby - his Free French HQ was at No 4. Not strictly a WW1 personality, although he did command a company at Verdun.