Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

19122 L/Cpl J McKnight 1/K.O.S.B.

Bondalike

Hello All,

My first post.

I am researching my wife's Grandfather who served in the 1st Battalion, Kings Own Scottish borderers from 1915-19.

We know he was awarded the D.C.M and I have found the citation for this in the Gazette, dated 6th Febuary 1918.

What I would like to know is when and where the action to earn this took place. (I am assuming it is published some time after the event)

Any information, or advice on how to find this out would be very welcome.

Also, his medal card shows a Belgian Croix de Guerre, for which I have again found listed in the Gazette (12th July 1918), but with no citation.

Is there any way to find out what that might be for? I was wondering if it might be for the same action as the D.C.M?

Once again, any info on this man, or indeed the 1/KOSB around this time would fantastic.

Thanks in advance,

David.

Where is your McKnight from?

Hi David,

Welcome to the Forum. I am not a KOSB expert but I have found the following extract from the regimental history:

4th October, 1917:-

"----Starting at zero 6 am, two platoons advanced by rushes from their trench 1000 yds North of Langemarck, with a view to protecting the Dublins' flank by the formation of three strong posts. Two hostile strong-points on the railway-track were still unsilenced. It had been a splendid barrage, but something was bound to escape somewhere, and these points threatened trouble. In fact, the Dublins on the right were being held back. Two Corporals came to the rescue--Mc Knight and Chittenden. Employing the Skinner tactics they worked round to the left, and, when they reached the back door, the garrison of 12 surrendered and 2 M.G. were taken. For this gallant 'coup de main' they were awarded the DCM. The occupants of the other pill-box had lost heart at being attacked on both flanks and had decamped."

I hope that this is useful.

Best wishes,

Robert

P.S. It may be worth checking local newspapers around the time to see if he has a write up and photo for winning the DCM. Unfortunately there is no mention of his BCG in the history.

Hi David,

I have just checked the London Gazette and found his entry for the Belgian Croix de Guerre:-

L.G. 9th July,1918(12th July,1918), page 8179.

19122 Pte John McKnight, DCM, Kings Own Scottish borderers(Glasgow)

It is unlikely that you will find a cictation for this award, but it is more than likely that it was awarded for the same action as his DCM.

Best wishes,

Robert

Where is your McKnight from?

Hi Museumtom,

Thanks for your interest. John McKnight was from Glasgow. (He actually played for Celtic in the early 1920's)

Hello Robert.

The reason I asked is that I have some data on the McKnight's of Limerick, but if your lad was from Glasgow it rules them out. Kind regards.

Tom.

Hello Old Owl,

Thanks for your welcome and fast and excellent reply,

That extract is exactly the sort of thing I was hoping for by posting here. I will start looking into 'Langemarck' and that date.

Do you know where I could obtain a copy of the Regimental history? Is it something I can buy?

Also, in the citation for his DCM, John is recorded as L/Cpl, but 4 months later he is listed as a Private in the Gazette. Any idea why this might be?

Thanks again,

David.

Hello Old Owl,

Thanks for your welcome and fast and excellent reply,

That extract is exactly the sort of thing I was hoping for by posting here. I will start looking into 'Langemarck' and that date.

Do you know where I could obtain a copy of the Regimental history? Is it something I can buy?

Also, in the citation for his DCM, John is recorded as L/Cpl, but 4 months later he is listed as a Private in the Gazette. Any idea why this might be?

Thanks again,

David.

Hi David,

I have just got back in, so have just seen your post. It is probably worth trying: www.naval-military-press.com if you wish to purchase a copy, this will be a reprint in paperback. If you want to obtain an original copy it should be worth contacting: Turner Donovan military books, if you google this it will bring up the site. An original will probably cost circa £75 and a reprint circa £20, so you will have to make the choice.

The rank of L/Cpl is an appointment and he is still basically a Private. If you have his medals you will probably see that the DCM has his rank impressed as L/Cpl, whereas his Trio will be named to Pte.J.McKnight.

Hope this helps,

Robert

Hi Robert,

thanks for responding again, I will look into the book, as Your earlier post with a date and place has already led to a better understanding of what was going on for him at that time.

As for the medals, I wish we did have them, but John had rather a lot of children and the medals are with an unknown cousin.

Many thanks,

David.

Hello,

Another question.

The family of my man think he was wounded at some point during the war, although we know he wasn't medically disharged.

Is there any way to find out more details of this, when, where, extent of injuries etc? I have been reading his battalion war diarys, and only officers seem to be named in casualty lists.

Cheers,

David.

It's unlikely that John would be mentioned by name as a csualty in the war diary, as you'll see from the diary only officers are mentioned by name although the diary for the 1st KOSB does give the names of some NCOs when killed in action

Jon

• 2 years later...
Guest Robert Mcknight Hutchinson

Hi David, I am Roberts mother, Lorraine McKnight and John McKnight was my great grandfather. My dad is Philip McKnight. Robert is currently doing a school project about WW1 trench soldiers. Your wife must be my cousin. What is her name please