Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

St John Ambulance Roll of Honour

Hurricane1

Hi All,

I have seen a St John Ambulance Roll of Honour listing all members killed during the Great War mentioned several times on the Forum, however, I have been unable to trace an on line RoH. Can anyone tell me if it exists and where I might find it?

Thanks for your assistance with this.

Cheers

Brazen

• 8 years later...

Interesting. I wonder whether it is totally accurate as recorded on our village war memorial plaque is Alfred Allen Longsdon. According to the war diary of No2 General Hospital on 6 January 1915: Mr. A. A. Longsdon, St. John Ambulance Brigade attached to hospital, admitted 7.30pm having accidentally driven into the harbour with his Motor Ambulance. DIED as a result of injury to his head and submersion.

I can't find him in the roll of honour.

You might want to take that up with the people at the St John Ambulance museum (museum@sja.org.uk).  Poor Mr Longsdon!  He definitely deserves to be remembered!

21 hours ago, Robin Garrett said:

Interesting. I wonder whether it is totally accurate as recorded on our village war memorial plaque is Alfred Allen Longsdon. According to the war diary of No2 General Hospital on 6 January 1915: Mr. A. A. Longsdon, St. John Ambulance Brigade attached to hospital, admitted 7.30pm having accidentally driven into the harbour with his Motor Ambulance. DIED as a result of injury to his head and submersion.

I can't find him in the roll of honour.

He may not be on their Roll of Honour (I have had a careful look) but his grave in Le Havre is looked after by the CWGC.

https://www.cwgc.org/find/find-war-dead/results?initial=A%2BA&lastName=Longsdon

Thanks Jim. I have a photo of the grave. Interesting man, connected by scandal to the Singer family of sewing machine fame.

Katharine

Thanks for the suggestion. I have done so.

Robin

5 hours ago, KatharineSJA said:

You might want to take that up with the people at the St John Ambulance museum (museum@sja.org.uk).  Poor Mr Longsdon!  He definitely deserves to be remembered!

I have had a response from the museum:

"Dear Robin,

"You are absolutely correct that this name is missing. The Roll of Honour is a historic document that we know is incomplete. This is one of many missing names. Research has now been done to identify missing names and Mr. A. A. Longsdon has been identified, so if a new official roll is created his name will be included.

"Thanks for getting in touch about this. Hopefully I’ve clarified things, but please don’t hesitate if you have any further questions.

Kind regards,

Rachel Job

Museum Assistant"