Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

R.A.S.C (M.T) Regiment

hazelhodges

Hello, I have recently discovered that my Great Grand Unlce Harry Comire was a Private in the British Army during the Great War, he enlisted in May 1917 in Regiment No:S/310005 Regiment: R.A.S.C Unit: 3 Embarkation Depot From the looks of it he didnt get deployed over seas he was stationed at Larkhill Sailsbury Wiltshire. I was amazed at that find as I was brought up some 14 miles from Larkhill and Harry more than likely knew the town I lived in! My Question is does anyone know what duties Harry would likely have preformed? And What this regiment did? He started in Unit 6 and then went to Unit 3.

Hi,

No doubt others with better knowledge than I will answer your question, but if you go onto my contents see THE LIMITED EDITION BOOK OF THE 71st&83rd MTRASC, started by Charlie Girl and carried on by me, you may find it interesting.

Regards

avidfamilyhistorian,

The Army Service Corps, as it was at the time, was organized at the company or lower level, never as a regiment. Your G-G-Uncle had an "S" prefix to his service number. This means that he worked in supply. This included the accounting for and issue of stores. Based on the name "3 Embarkation Depot", I would suggest that he was involved in getting soldiers ready for their departure overseas. This probably included making sure that they had all of the kit that they needed. Not very glamourous work but very necessary. I hope that this helps a bit.

All the best,

Gary

Thank you for your replies,

Marshal Ney: I will check out the book

Waggoner: Thank you so much for this information, I found on service records that Harry had some kind of partial amputation, Unfortunately doesnt state what it is, he was also 38 when he enlisted so most likely the reason he was in this position, exactly the kind of info I was looking for.

Grant: No I hadnt looked there, thank you for the link

smile.gif

• 7 years later...
On 21/06/2011 at 20:37, Waggoner said:

avidfamilyhistorian,

The Army Service Corps, as it was at the time, was organized at the company or lower level, never as a regiment. Your G-G-Uncle had an "S" prefix to his service number. This means that he worked in supply. This included the accounting for and issue of stores. Based on the name "3 Embarkation Depot", I would suggest that he was involved in getting soldiers ready for their departure overseas. This probably included making sure that they had all of the kit that they needed. Not very glamourous work but very necessary. I hope that this helps a bit.

All the best,

Gary

I  appreciate this is a real old thread but I do have a supplementary question if those that involved in the original post is still with us.  What does the Prefix DMZ  attach to a Richmond number for ASC mean 

Edited by Nudist
Clarification

Hi

It might help if you add the name and serial number of the chap you are researching.  If you don't get a definite answer a new thread might be worth while, but I would wait a day or two for  a possible definitive reply.

Keith

It's probably DM2, transcribed incorrectly

This meant he was a Mechanical Transport learner, so probably not a professional driver before the war.

As Keith suggests, if you want more specific information about him, start a new thread, with his name, ASC and his number in the title.