Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

26th Brigade and 46th Brigade Royal Field Artillery

minden64

My great uncle Ernest Douglas Powell 67203 -driver, was, according to his M.I.C, with the 26th Bde RFA on the 16/08/1914. He is then recorded, on his marriage certificate, as being with the 46th Bde RFA in September 1917. I was wondering if there is any way of finding out when that transfer took place?

Thankyou

You'd need to be one of those lucky few whose relatives Service Records have survived the Blitz....

Is this him?

Name: Ernest Douglas Powell. Date of Registration: Jul-Aug-Sep 1894

Registration district: Highwood. Inferred County: Wiltshire. Volume: 5a Page: 5

Name: Ernest D Powell. Birth Date: abt 1894. Date of Registration: Apr-May-Jun 1931

Age at Death: 37. Registration district: Swansea. Inferred County: Glamorganshire

Volume: 11a. Page: 1046

1901 Census

Name: Ernest Powell. Age: 7; Estimated Birth Year: abt 1894

Where born: Mangotsfield, Keynsham, Gloucestershire

Fred Powell, 39; Sarah A Powell, 42; Frank Powell, 9; Ernest Powell, 7; Elsie Powell, 3; Herbert G Powell, 1.

If so, then this seems to be his elder brother....

Name: POWELL, FRANK EWART. Rank: Serjeant

Regiment/Service: Gloucestershire Regiment. Unit Text: 2nd/5th Bn.

Additional information: Son of the late Frank Edward Powell, of Bristol; husband of Florence Louise Powell, of The Pynes, Uley, Dursley, Glos.

Grave/Memorial Reference: IV. F. 14. Cemetery: ST. VENANT-ROBECQ ROAD BRITISH CEMETERY, ROBECQ

Haven't found any records yet, perhaps others may have more success...

Thankyou for all your work - Unfortunately the Ernest Powell you have been looking at is different to my ancestor.

This particular E D Powell had 3 brothers in the forces, they are listed below:-

1. William Daniel Powell: Service No: 54409. Date of Birth: 24/02/1886

Corporal - Royal Engineers

2. James Mathew Powell: Service No: 21040 Date of Birth: 03/07/1892

Private - Hampshire Regiment

3. Arthur Henry Powell: Service No; 28261 Date of Birth: 02/07/1898

Private - Somerset Light Infantry (Prince Albert's)

Killed in action 04/10/1917

Again, thankyou for your efforts.

• 4 weeks later...

I am interested in any help to find information out on the 116th Battery, 26 Brigade, Royal Field Artillery. My grandfather served as a Gunner with this battery from September 1915 and was one of the fortunate men who survived until the end of the war. Any tips, hints or information would be greatly received.

Thank you,

Ian

Ian

The Long Long Trail website is a good starting point. This page from the site: http://www.1914-1918.net/rfa_units.htm shows that until January 1917, XXVI (26th) Brigade belonged to the First Division until January 1917 when it became an Army Brigade. In effect, an "Army Brigade" was attached to a particular "Army" rather than a division and wad deployed to different Divisions depending on need.

Details of the First Division can also be found on the LLT site: http://www.1914-1918.net/1div.htm

Good hunting.

Roger

Archived