Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Women in the Royal Navy

Erin

Can some kind person advise me what is meant by the term Half ley when discribing a Woman who is in the Royal Navy?. This is the term listed on the 1911 Census for my Relative as her occupation. She was 29 years old at the time.

Thank you,

Erin

Erin, I'm confused by your question. You ask about the term "half ley" on a 1911 census form, but also ask how it relates to a woman in the Royal Navy..... As I remember, women weren't (officially) in the Royal Navy in 1911, the WRNS having been formed in 1917. What's the connection? Doc

Sorry Late replying I have attached the link below and it is the 1901 Census Ireland, She is also on the 1911 with her Husband and Family. Some of my Family were also Coastguards and Divers.

http://www.census.na...s/nai003985667/

Mary (Molly) Cregan Royal Navy based in Queenstown now Cobh County Cork Ireland. She was married at the time under one year and her Husband was Royal Navy Chief Signal Man Robert James Cregan whom I have all details for. You are correct it is stating Half Pay..Apologies my Mistake rectified by enlarging the page... She married into my Family who are all Navy and I see it also states that she is R. Navy. I wonder was it written just because she was married to Robert? He was not in Cork at the time the Census was taken.

Erin