Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Essex RHA (TF)

battiscombe

Hi All,

This is a great thread; i'm a big collector of all things Essex RHA related and any info at all to do with the unit; I actually have the medals of 589/622158 BQMS/2nd Lt George Reginald Gifford, a TFWM trio only, he missed out on a TFEM by virtue of being commissioned. I also have the medals of 204/622010 Wheeler Staff Sergeant Samuel Wilson of the Essex RHA, MiD in 1918 for service with the EEF.

I have just noticed the image on the thread purported to be Wilson, that's brilliant! This also means he is second from the right on Rivergirl's Woodside boat picture. This is amazing; i have been looking for absolutely anything on San Wilson for over 5 years so thank you very much indeed!

Cheers,

David

post-5610-0-51344700-1308589199.jpg

post-5610-0-75609300-1308589244.jpg

Another name from my database to add to the list:

448/622074 ABQMS Hubert Victor Tuck - entitled to BWM/VM/TFWM and a Silver War Badge

David

• 5 years later...
Guest BenShenton
On 15/06/2011 at 18:11, David Porter said:

Welcome to the forum, rivergirl

There is a good chance your great grandfather is in the photograph that Battiscombe has. Hopefully you will be able to give him a positive ID at some point - can you post a close up?

The 1/1st Essex RHA (TF) joined with the 1/1st Hants RHA (TF) and 1/1st West Riding RHA (TF) to form 1/5th Lowland Brigade RFA at Leicester in January 1916. The Brigade left on 3 ships for Egypt along with other RHA batteries during February 1916.

"Kabinga" - Embarked Devonport 15-02-16, Disembarked Alexandria 01-03-16

Carrying

1/5th Lowland Brigade RFA Ammunition Column

Capt H. Pultenay

2nd Lt. H. M. Powell

50 ORs (4 NCOs, 2 corporals/bombardiers, 44 gunners/drivers)

204 horses, 26 x 4 wheel vehicles, 1 x 2 wheel vehicle

1/1st Somerset Battery RHA

Capt. M. Clowes

2nd Lt. E. C. B. Elliott

Capt. G. B. Gill RAMC

Lt. A. D. Morgan Veterinary Officer

70 ORs

266 horses, 4 x guns, 20 x 4 wheel vehicles, 3 x 2 wheel vehicles

"Manitou"- Embarked Devonport 18-02-16, Disembarked Alexandria 01-03-16

Carrying

1/5th Lowland Brigade RFA Ammunition Column

Capt. Harry Whitworth (West Riding RHA)

Lt. R. Bazell (Hants RHA)

80 ORs

1/5th Lowland Brigade RFA HQ

Lt. Col. Charles Chetwode Robertson

Capt. and Adj. A. E. Kirk

Lt. Claude A. Burrell

Capt. A. L. Hewer RAMC

Lt. W. F. Garside AVC

44 ORs

1 x 4 wheeled vehicle, 2 x 2 wheeled vehicles, 39 horses

1/5th Lowland Brigade RFA 1st Battery

Maj. W. A. B. Daniell

Capt. E. N. Buxton

Lt. R. F. Squirl Dawson

Maj. Ernest Powles (Chaplain)

Lt. R. Worrall

135 ORs

4 guns, 8 x 4 wheeled vehicles, 2 x 2 wheeled vehicles, 114 horses

1/5th Lowland Brigade RFA 2nd Battery

Maj. T. K. Jeans

Capt. N. M. Elliott

Lt. R. D. Badcock

2nd Lt. A. P. Franklin

136 ORs

1/5th Lowland Brigade RFA 3rd Battery

Maj. H. Walker

Capt. J. S. Elwis

Lt. B. H. Jackson

2nd Lt. N. Hawkins

136 ORs

1/5th Lowland Brigade RFA 1st Reinforcements

2nd Lt. J. A. Buckley

2nd Lt. A. L. Kenning

2nd Lt. T. E. Holberton

3 ORs

3 horses

1/1st Inverness Battery RHA

Capt. D. Fraser

Lt. C. Reggall

Capt. H. McVean

3 ORs

1/1st Leicester Battery RHA

Lt. Malcolm Douglas

Capt. Charles Fawcett Bennion

Lt. R. H. Whitehead

2nd Lt. Ernest Walter Garry

4 ORs (Gnrs. Macarthy, W. A. Johnson, V. W. Marsh, Drv. Vidor)

Maj. F. Aikenhead

Capt. R. Bath

Lt. H. B. Way

Lt. S. H. B. Blandy

Lt. H. S. White

2nd Lt. E. M. Grimsdale

162 ORs

plus

53rd Division, 1st Line Transport

Lt. K. B. Powel

Lt. C. G. Marriott

34 ORs

54th Division, 1st Line Transport

Lt. H. S. Catchpole (1/5th Suffolk, 163rd Inf. Bde)

Lt. G. St. J. Rands (1/4th Northants, 162nd Inf. Bde)

2nd Lt. H. R. Robertson (1/11th London, 162nd Inf. Bde)

127 ORs

619 MT Coy. ASC

1 Officer (Johnstone), 34 ORs

346 MT Coy. ASC Supply Col.

1 Officer (Jackson), 117 ORs

Intelligence

2nd Lt. P. F. J. Burter

58th Rifles, Indian Army

Maj. A. G. Lind

197th Pioneers, Indian Army

Capt. C. A. Shute

R.F.C

Lt. G. H. Morton

Lt. W. R. S. Humphries

"Karoa" - Embarked Avonmouth 24-02-16, Disembarked Alexandria 05-03-16

Carrying

1/5th Lowland Brigade RFA

2nd Lt. H. A. Pease

2nd Lt. A. M. Bradley

2nd Lt. R. W. Fleming

57 ORs

1/1st Inverness Battery RHA

2nd Lt. A. Bailey

2nd Lt. Geoffrey James Henry Shenton

20 ORs

1/1st Leicester Battery RHA

2nd Lt. R. M. Watson

2nd Lt. Samuel J. Worthington (KiA 28/11/1917)

19 OR Embarked 20 ORs Disembarked

2nd Lt. F. C. Edwards

20 ORs

347 MT Coy. ASC Ammunition Parks

2 Officers (Noott, Creese), 1 WO (Lacey), 268 ORs

346 MT Coy. ASC Supply Col.

3 Officers (Mustard, James, Robertson), 1 WO (Harrison), 198 ORs (197 Embarked?)

R.A.M.C.

Capt. W. Campbell

R.A. Personnel 303 & 347 MT Coys Amm. Parks

2 Officers (Jones, Gow), 160 ORs

A lot of these men would return from Palestine with malaria.

Interesting that Arthur James seems to have spent a year in the UK on furlough during the time his battery was overseas.

Do you know if he was posted to the RHA (TF) reserves during this time?

I've just found out my grandfather 2nd Lt. Geoffrey James Henry Shenton served  with

1/1st Inverness Battery RHA and received an MC for action in Palestine 14 November 1917. Are there any photos of him? 

Hi Ben,

Welcome to the Forum.

There is a photo taken in 1919, by then he was Capt. and Adjutant, sitting extreme left.

See https://www.awm.gov.au/collection/B00898/

You can buy a copy of the photo from AWM but they are quite expensive.

Guest BenShenton
10 hours ago, David Porter said:

Hi Ben,

Welcome to the Forum.

There is a photo taken in 1919, by then he was Capt. and Adjutant, sitting extreme left.

See https://www.awm.gov.au/collection/B00898/

You can buy a copy of the photo from AWM but they are quite expensive.

Hi David Porter,

Wow. I'm very thankful for sending me this link. I can't believe I now have a picture of my grandfather who played a role in the freedom of Palestine.

I appreciate your quick turn around.  Do you know if his son Peter Edward Shenton was involved in World War 2. Ive been told he was a submariner deployed in the Atlantic Ocean but I can't find anything yet 

• 3 years later...

Hello All,

In researching my ggfather I have found these forums invaluable so thought it best to introduce myself in case in my research I have stumbled on useful information for others.  I am also still researching so have a few questions to pose on this thread wrt my ggfather.  He was one of 5 brothers that all fort in WW1 and thankfully all survived.

The salient details of my ggfather are tabulated below.  I am currently trying to ascertain :

• if he went to France prior to joining the EFF on 01/03/1916
  • why he ended up in France at the end of the war if his unit continued with the EEF.  I wonder if he switched to 2/1 Essex RHA
  • if the sword I have of his is 'standard issue' for the RHA and what markings I should look for on it

Thanks in adance for any help.

Wil Worrall

Date Text Further information Source
05/09/1914 "to be 2nd Lieutenant" Territorial Force, Army Service Corps, Norfolk and Suffolk Brigade Company LG 2/10/1914 p7821
29/09/1915 "to be temporary Lieutenant" Territorial Force, Royal Horse Artillery, Essex LG 21/12/1915 p12808
18/02/1916 "Manitou"- Embarked Devonport
The 1/1st Essex RHA (TF) joined with the 1/1st Hants RHA (TF) and 1/1st West Riding RHA (TF) to form 1/5th Lowland Brigade RFA at Leicester in January 1916
01/03/1916 "Manitou"- Disembarked Alexandria 
01/06/1916 "The undermentioned to be Lts" Territorial Force, Royal Horse and Royal Field Artillery LG 28/06/1917 p6398
11/06/1916 "Elwiss of the West Riding Battery and Worrall of the Essex came up this afternoon to have a look round and spend the night"   "Dick's Diary" 11/06/1916
03/04/1918 "whose distinguished and gallant services and devotion to duty I consider deserving of special mention" Honourable Artillery Company and Royal Horse and Royal Field Artillery (T.F.) LG 14/06/1918 p7050
14/05/1918 "Lt. R.D.Worrall joined brigade from England and posted to second in command of D/298" War diary - Army Field Artillery, 298th Brigade WO-95-456 p047
23/05/1918 "The undermentioned to be actg. Capts. whilst empld. as 2nd in Command of Batys., R.F.A., T.F." Territorial Force, Royal Horse and Royal Field Artillery LG 20/06/1918 p7285
01/01/1919
"His Majesty The KING has been graciously pleased to approve of the undermentioned rewards for distinguished service in connection with Military Operations in France and Flanders - Dated 1st January 1919" - Lt (A/Capt.) Robert Douglas Worrall, RHA, TF, attd. D/298th Bde, RFA, TF
Awarded the Military Cross
LG 01/01/1919 p31
06/01/1919 "Capt R D Worrall RA awarded the Military Cross (Birthday Honours BO 593" War diary - Army Field Artillery, 298th Brigade WO-95-456 p111
04/05/1919 "Lt (actg Capt) R D Worrall, M C, Essex RHA , relinquishes the actg. rank of Capt on ceasing to be empld 4th May 1919" Territorial Force, Royal Horse and Royal Field Artillery LG 24/05/1919 p6460

5 hours ago, wil said:

if he went to France prior to joining the EFF on 01/03/1916

Hello Wil, I see you've also posted on another thread that mentions him in a Diary; welcome.

His Medal Index Card shows him as BWM and Victory Medals without a Star so we can assume he did not go overseas before 1/1/1916.

Have you seen his Service File, held by National Archives but not online, under this reference WO 374/76895  ?

Incidentally he is noted as wounded in the Daily Casualty List of 19/8/1918 which suggests actual wounding perhaps a month earlier.

Charlie

Edited by charlie962

• 2 weeks later...
On 08/11/2019 at 20:13, charlie962 said:

His Medal Index Card shows him as BWM and Victory Medals without a Star so we can assume he did not go overseas before 1/1/1916.

Great, a relatively simple inference. Nice one Charlie, thanks.

I think I have a copy of that medal index card...... mentioning him applying for them some while after the war, 30/10/25.  I think you must be decrypting the numbers on there....

I have his medals (MC, BWM and Victory, one with MID leaf on). We bought them relatively recently after they were stolen a long time ago at the same time as some of my grandfather's.  Luckily my grandfathers' stolen medals were just the dress ones.  He got an MC at Salerno and became in charge of 16th Battalion Durham Light infantry later in that campaign.

On 08/11/2019 at 20:13, charlie962 said:

Have you seen his Service File, held by National Archives but not online, under this reference WO 374/76895  ?

Incidentally he is noted as wounded in the Daily Casualty List of 19/8/1918 which suggests actual wounding perhaps a month earlier.

Great info.  I will endeavour to get that Service File.  Thanks for the exact number.  Heaven knows how you sussed that out!

Would there be daily diaries for his battery?  I have them for the brigade but obviously they are not so specific.  Perhaps that would help me shed more light on any injury.

Where are the Daily casualty lists stored?

Thanks again.  Wil

9 minutes ago, wil said:

Where are the Daily casualty lists stored?

The lists are searchable by subscription to:

The genealogist (well indexed plus copy of original)

FindmyPast (not well indexed but give you the original)  also some under "newspapers"

ForcesWar Records (well indexed but no sight of original)

FREE

Nat Library of Scotland (Originals with a search facility that is good but I've not fully cracked it)

Biggest problem is they all have gaps and each has different coverage.

12 minutes ago, wil said:

I have his medals (MC, BWM and Victory, one with MID leaf on). We bought them relatively recently after they were stolen a long time ago at the same time as some of my grandfather's.  Luckily my grandfathers' stolen medals were just the dress ones.  He got an MC at Salerno and became in charge of 16th Battalion Durham Light infantry later in that campaign.

Well done and what luck and glad to see they are appreciated. Important family history.

Charlie

Edited by charlie962

Diaries at Battery level are a hit or miss affair and are rare. I wonder whether the RA Museum has some that are not at NA ? Sometimes they turn up in Australian or Canadian archives for the period the battery was attached.

Charlie

On 17/11/2019 at 17:06, charlie962 said:

FREE

Nat Library of Scotland (Originals with a search facility that is good but I've not fully cracked it)

Thanks.  Think I have found that document but am battling to find the entry.....

Is he down as R D Worrall?  Do you have a page number please?

I am looking in "War Office Daily List of August 19th (No. 5647) in Eight Parts"

Thanks in advance.  Wil

On 08/11/2019 at 21:13, charlie962 said:

I've misled you. Sorry. It is 17/10/18 and the link to NLS is here

I will check why I wrote wrong date ?!?

Charlie

15 hours ago, charlie962 said:

It is 17/10/18 and the link to NLS is here

Great.  Thanks very much that is another dot on the timeline!

Is there a general feeling for the level of injury that leads to being on the list?  Should I be looking to see if he was sent home etc?

The war diary for Army Field Artillery 298th Brigade (APR 1917 - FEB 1919) 

Nr VRAIGNES VERMOND

SEPT 16 1am "16th Brigade RHA came into action near our 18 pdr Batteries" - Perhaps one can speculate

There was also the Battle of Mont Saint-Quentin on 31/08/18 that they were involved in.

Impressive (from FindmyPast)

335506100_GWFWorrallFamily.JPG.577c4f59a7ca3cd105c7a6c022c869fc.JPG

Thanks.  homecdoming.PNG.c66f79575d5cef376d269443d0f047cf.PNGI have just attached a heart warming snippet about one of Ernest's home comings.

He died from injuries sustained in the 3rd afghan war.

8 minutes ago, wil said:

Is there a general feeling for the level of injury that leads to being on the list?  Should I be looking to see if he was sent home etc?

The Casualty lists give no clue as to gravity. If a man changes Bn or Battery that can often suggest a period out of action or even return to UK. In the case of officers it could just be for reasons of promotion. Wounds that could be treated quickly at the Field Ambulance and allowing the man to return immediately to his unit would (I believe) still qualify for appearing in the Casualty Lists (and thus a Wound Stripe) - but I cannot find chapter and verse about gravity . I Will look further.....

Charlie

Impressive (from FindmyPast)

335506100_GWFWorrallFamily.JPG.577c4f59a7ca3cd105c7a6c022c869fc.JPG

The generation below had a good go at it too.  an SOE, a CO of 16th DLI, DSO, MCs and MMs amongst them.

My direct line is Denis Henry Clemson Worrall MC.  His brother, Corporal Ralph Hastings Clemson Worrall got the MM with the East African Armoured Car Regiment.

Thanks again.