Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Military Medal award WW1

Barny

I have a photo's of my half brother and although they're monochrome they show the medal bar of the Military Medal,I've checked gallantry medal ribbons and there seems to be nothing that could be confused with the MM ribbon. I've searched London Gazette to no avail and his medal index card shows no mention of it. This soldier was born in 1900 and one of the photo's shows him posing with his maternal grandmother, she died in 1919 so he could not have been more than 19 but he has 2 good conduct chevrons on his right cuff together with 3 wound stripes plus the MM(I think)medal ribbon. 2 good conduct chevrons represent 6 years service as far as I can determine, so he must have been in the military in some form since he was 13. The uniform he's wearing in this particular shot shows the eagle of the Royal Scots Greys on his cap and lapels. Further shots of him, slightly older by a year or two show him wearing uniform and badges of the Kings Royal Rifle Corps, his medal index card only shows his regiment as the K.R.R.C. together with his regimental number,the British War Medal and the Victory Medal. I believe he left the army about 1923 to get married.

So! my questions are, Is it possible he could have served in 2 different regiments during his military career?

Is it possible that if he was awarded the MM it was not gazetted for some reason?

A year ago I only knew I had a half brother, nothing else at all, no name or anything else, I've since found out quite a bit about him and it seems that he might have been a very brave man, so if anyone can help it would be very much appreciated. His name was Frank Easton Woodhead(Easton is a christian name)and his K.R.R.C. number was A205428. Photo's could be made available if they would help.

If he didn't serve overseas with the Royal Scots then it wouldn't usually be shown on the MIC so its probable he only saw overseas service with the KRRC. Its also possible that he had more than one MIC card , are you sure on his service number ?

Ancestry don't have the MM index cards (the MM is not always shown on the normal MIC's) and the London Gazette's OCR doesn't always pick up text when searched. It can make MM record finding difficult.

Do you know where he was from ?.

Hello H.B.W. Welcome to the forum

Could yopu post the photo's so I can see them please.

Rich

Frank Easton Woodhead was in Long Eaton, Derbyshire until he was 11, maybe older. Then at some point moved to Nottingham City Where I think the photo's were taken.

Slight error concerning good conduct chevrons, they are on his left lower sleeve.His service number accoding to his K.R.R.C. MIC is A205428. On other documents that I have the preceding "A" is omitted.

Photo of him in R.S.Greys age about 19, can't be older. He has 2 years worth of overseas chevrons on his right cuff so he must have been abroad with the Greys. I don't know his age on this photo, maybe he's less than 19.

Photo of soldier Woodhead in R.S.Greys uniform age no more than 19, maybe less. There's 2 years worth of overseas chevrons on his right cuff so he must have been abroad with the Greys. Wound stripes were given for wounds sustained during enemy action I believe, requiring a period of hospitalizpost-73081-0-49891700-1307484294.jpgation.

post-73081-0-94881300-1307487309.jpgPhoto of Corporal F.E.Woodhead in K.R.R,C.uniform, clearly showing what I believe to be the ribbon of the Military Medal. He is probably between 20 and 23 in this shot.

Hi HBW. I hate to throw a spanner in the works, but I don't think the two photos are the same person, facially and missing GC chevrons and 1 wound stripe

I agree don't seem to be the same chap

Rich

Hi HBW. I hate to throw a spanner in the works, but I don't think the two photos are the same person, facially and missing GC chevrons and 1 wound stripe

I'm 100% certain it is the same person by virtue of the source of the photo's. Also, if you look on the little finger of his left hand you can see a ring.I have several different pictures of him, all showing him with the ring on his little finger. The wound stripes on him sitting, although you can only see two, the third is just over the turn of his sleeve, the one that you see nearest his body is lined up with the centre of the marksman badge where the rifles cross, suggesting that the third is over the fold. I have sent these photo's to his daughter and she verifies that they all are her father. I must admit that in the past I have had the same doubts but I'm satisfied now of his identity. He had a younger by 9 years brother, and I have a photo of him sitting in the same chair. All the pictures came from the same camera on 3" x 4" glass negative slides, the camera belonged to my father and I know that it was able to take these glass slides. Anyway, thank you all for your observations and comments, please do keep them coming, I'm trying to keep an open mind on the subject and I do value other opinions. Just thought of something else, I understand that Good Conduct Stripes ceased to be worn together wih corporal chevrons.

his medal index card only shows his regiment as the K.R.R.C. together with his regimental number,the British War Medal and the Victory Medal.

I had a similar thing with one of my releatives, only showed one Regiment on the MIC, but when I got the medal rolls for him from the national archives, it showed two Regiments, with different numbers, also another releatives card showed only one Reg number when infact he had two, having rejoined later in the war. ( As it happens this chap won the Military Medal also :lol: )

Rich

Thanks Rich, I think my problem is very similar to yours. What really bugs me is his medal ribbon is almost certainly the Military Medal and they're all supposed to be recorded in the London Gazette. But try as I may I cannot find any reference to it. I've looked at numerous websites with pictures of medal ribbons and there doesn't seem to be any remotely like the MM so I'm pretty convinced that's what it is, if anyone can suggest another candidate I would be most interested. Just today I've written to his daughter who is now 80 to see if she knows of any medals he might have had. Bit of a long shot but we'll see. The MM wasn't issued till 1916 and I think a very few were retrospectively awarded which may be a reason why the LG doesn't have it, I'm clutching at straws now. Frank was the same age as the century so if it was awarded to him in this fashion he'd have been only 15 or 16 when he was cited. The photo of him with his Grandmother shows him at 19 max, could be less, maybe 17 or 18. He has 2 years worth of overseas chevrons on his right cuff so he might have gained the MM sged 15,16,17 who knows? he may have enlisted and lied about his age, enlistment sergeants wern't too fussy, I believe quite a few lads got in under age.

Regards, Brian.

Thanks Rich, I think my problem is very similar to yours. What really bugs me is his medal ribbon is almost certainly the Military Medal and they're all supposed to be recorded in the London Gazette. But try as I may I cannot find any reference to it. I've looked at numerous websites with pictures of medal ribbons and there doesn't seem to be any remotely like the MM so I'm pretty convinced that's what it is, if anyone can suggest another candidate I would be most interested. Just today I've written to his daughter who is now 80 to see if she knows of any medals he might have had. Bit of a long shot but we'll see. The MM wasn't issued till 1916 and I think a very few were retrospectively awarded which may be a reason why the LG doesn't have it, I'm clutching at straws now. Frank was the same age as the century so if it was awarded to him in this fashion he'd have been only 15 or 16 when he was cited. The photo of him with his Grandmother shows him at 19 max, could be less, maybe 17 or 18. He has 2 years worth of overseas chevrons on his right cuff so he might have gained the MM sged 15,16,17 who knows? he may have enlisted and lied about his age, enlistment sergeants wern't too fussy, I believe quite a few lads got in under age.

Regards, Brian.

Just a comparison of the Military Medal, my Great Grandfather, L/Cpl Thomas Ralph Kitson M.M.

Rich

post-60087-0-42483000-1307565996.jpg

Do you have any background info on Frank, like brothers names, parents names?? May help in the search. I have found a gazetted Woodhead 11916 with KRRC. Not an F.E. Woodhead but a W. Woodhead

Any releation? Wondered if the photo's are of brothers and not the same man.

Rich

Military Medal Card for W. Woodhead at The National Archives

There are none for F.E. Woodhead in any Regiment

Rich

Are you sure that is his Grandmother, she doesn't look old enough

Rich

post-73081-0-94881300-1307487309.jpgPhoto of Corporal F.E.Woodhead in K.R.R,C.uniform, clearly showing what I believe to be the ribbon of the Military Medal. He is probably between 20 and 23 in this shot.

What is the second medal ribbon?

croix de guerre?

Rich

Hi Rich, Just a quicky as I'm off to bed. Only one word to describe what you say about the other medal, BRILLIANT. I've just looked up the Croix de Guerre and it looks as though you've hit the nail on the head, I'd never have sussed that one out. I shall hit the sack with a smile on my face tonight. Apparently it was the French equivalent of the British MM and was available to the French military and her allies, fits the bill a treat. I'll catch you tomorrow with more.

Thank you, Brian.

Not a prob, was the only one I could think it would be.

Rich

The only K.R.R.C. Woodhead I can find with the M.M. is 5736 W Woodhead, awarded the M.M. in the London Gazette of 16-11-1916.

http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/29827/supplements/11144

In fact, he was accidentally awarded it "twice" - the award was duplicated in the Gazette of 6-1-1917.

http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/29893/supplements/349

I cannot find any Woodheads with the M.M. in the Cavalry.

Steve.

Are you sure that is his Grandmother, she doesn't look old enough

Rich

I too have doubts. In trying to look up her age I couldn't find a Mary Ann Greatorex or Greatoriex married to a Moses Mason, but I did find Moses William Mason married Mary Greatrick in the 1st quarter of 1868. Marriage registered in Nottingham. This lady doesn't look to me to be in her late 60s.

Or have I found the wrong family?

Regards

CGM

Edited to add I searched for Greaterix too.

What makes you say the second photo is KRRC? If he is I think he should have black buttons? If this is the same man I would say the second photo is taken later and in this he appears to be wearing a Rough Rider (or Riding Instructor) spur badge and now be a Corporal. I would guess that he became an instructor at some stage after the first photo as no such badge appears on it. I don't think a riding instructor would have been assigned to an infantry battalion (KRRC). If he was born in 1900 and 19 in the first photo and is 23 or so in the second then he would almost certainly have campaign ribbons by then.

Are you sure you have the correct Medal Index Card as the KRRC link doesn't seem to add up to the photos? Are there other photos?

Rgds

Tim D