Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2nd Lt Bernard Patrick Cromie, M.C. RFA

high wood

I bought a couple of photograph albums that once belonged to Eileen Grace Cromie, the daughter of William Patrick Cromer, a Church of England vicar at All Souls, Harlesden. There are some Great War related photographs of her brother Bernard Patrick Cromie who appears to have served in France and Salonika. I will post a few of the photographs. I would be grateful if anyone can add any information about him; I have worked out details of his birth and marriage, etc.

The first photograph shows Bernard with his sisters, Eileen and Eleanor posing in the garden on the day he left for France in 1915.

post-6480-0-37278700-1307427992.jpg

There are 2 sets of documents at the National Archives relating to his appointment after the war:

CO 323/818/27 Temporary Higher Division clerk: supply of current address of Lieutenant Bernard Patrick Cromie, by his father William Patrick Cromie, in respect to his son's application for employment with the Colonial Office; includes completed application form and testimonials. 1919 Feb

CO 323/818/33 Acceptance of Bernard Patrick Cromie of position and conditions of employment as Junior Clerk (Higher Division) in the Colonial Office. Original Correspondence From: Mr B P Cromie, C/56 Brigade, RFA [Royal Field Artillery], 52nd Division, BEF [british Expeditionary Force], Belgium. 1919 Feb

His service record can be found under reference WO 339/54939

David,

thank you for the information, The RFA battery and division were exactly what I was looking for. Many thanks,

Simon.

post-6480-0-83371100-1307441978.jpg

The caption to this picture reads, "Blythe Wakelam in the trenches". Henry Blythe Thornhill Wakelam served with the London Regiment and the Royal Field Artillery rising to the rank of Captain.

post-6480-0-39415400-1307481714.jpg

I think this Wakelam became a sports writer/commentator between the wars and possibly post WW2. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

D

daggers is correct. H.B.T. was a sports writer and commentator and wrote a book titled Half-Time: "The Mike and Me" which described his experiences during and after the war. Dick Flory

Wakelam served with the following units:

30 Anti-Aircraft Section, Gallipoli and Palestine: Sept 1915 to April 1916

96 Anti-Aircraft Section, Palestine: 1917-18

44 Brigade, RFA, France: 1918

Regards, Dick Flory

Dick,

thank you, that is very interesting and I wonder how he and Bernard Cromie knew each other. Most of the photographs in the albums are taken at various vicarages but mainly in Harlesden and Stoke Newington. The Great War pictures of Bernard are mainly taken at home before he leaves for France in 1915 or during leave in 1917 after he has won his Military Cross. The picture of Blythe Wakelam appears on a separate page away from photographs of Bernard and I wonder if he was a family friend of the Cromies and perhaps knew on of the sisters rather than actually served with Bernard.

The same page has a photograph of a young officer in the Royal Warwickshire Regiment by the name of Givan who I take to be Lieutenant Henry Cooke Givan.

In 1911 Cromie was a boarder at Harrow. It's possible that's where he first met some of these men, I would have thought. So far I've only come across a Harry Givan (15) living with his widowed mother and grandmother in Putney.

Louise,

thank you for the update. Henry Blythe Tennant Wakelam was born in Hereford but married in the St Martins (Westminster) registration district of london in 1922. I am not sure where he went to school.

Here is Bernard's horse, Kitchener; appears to be drinking from a beer bottle.

Simon.

post-6480-0-43713000-1307560747.jpg

A 'Harry Coake Givan' served with the Royal Warwickshire Regiment. He was gazetted a Temp. 2nd Lieut, in the 12th (Reserve) Bn, R Warwicks on 24 Nov 14 and was promoted Lieutenant, 1st Battalion, R Warwicks on 1 July 1917.

Dick Flory

Henry Blythe Tennant Wakelam was born in Hereford but married in the St Martins (Westminster) registration district of london in 1922. I am not sure where he went to school.

Looks like he was a 17 year old student at Marlborough College in 1911, Simon.

Great photos.

• 2 weeks later...

I just noticed that the photo labelled, 'Blythe Wakelam in the trenches' in post number 8 of this thread is also in Wakelam's book Half-Time opposite page 80. It is captioned: 'Author outside dugout. In breastworks near Armentieres in April, 1915. Note "garden" and "broom."' Wakelam served with 'A' Company, 2nd Bn, London Regiment (Royal Fusiliers) in France until 2 July 1915, so at the time the photo was taken he was serving in that infantry regiment and not in the RFA. Dick Flory

Dick,

thank you for the extra information; I am pleased that we have a location for the photograph and confirmation that it is indeed Wakelam.

Simon.

• 1 year later...
Guest antonia Bellalta

I loved seeing my grandfather in his uniform and knowing where he was during the war. He was a great gentle-man.

I might be able to find some other pictures from a similar album that has just landed in my hands if anyone is interested.

Antonia Bellalta Cromie

• 2 months later...
Guest gordon.whiteman

I loved seeing my grandfather in his uniform and knowing where he was during the war. He was a great gentle-man.

I might be able to find some other pictures from a similar album that has just landed in my hands if anyone is interested.

Antonia Bellalta Cromie