Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Knocked Out Allied Tank 'Judge Jeffrey'

ph0ebus

Hi all,

Found a great collection of Great War photos and documents online that I wanted to share, here:

New York State Archives - Photographs and Documents

There were several pictures (here: In The Trenches) of one tank before and after being knocked out by a German shell, called 'Judge Jeffrey"...was this an American tank? There are also pictures of British, German, Canadian and French tanks on that page as well.

-Daniel

Hi all,

Found a great collection of Great War photos and documents online that I wanted to share, here:

New York State Archives - Photographs and Documents

There were several pictures (here: In The Trenches) of one tank before and after being knocked out by a German shell, called 'Judge Jeffrey"...was this an American tank? There are also pictures of British, German, Canadian and French tanks on that page as well.

-Daniel

As it appears to be a British MK IV and the Americans only used Mk V and Mk V* s in action - it's British. Also Judge Jeffries was the notorious hanging judge who scourged the survivors of the Monmouth Rebellion and it would seem odd for an American manned tank to take the name.

BTW - where is the 'before' photo you mention? BTW whilst there were Canadians in the Tank Corps there were no 'Canadian' tanks in action. The Canadian Tank Corps were still training up on Mk V and V* when the war ended. Don't believe all captions implicitly

On that same page a little closer to the top there is a tank under camoflauge netting...this is the same tank. I wish I could link to the specific photo but the site won't allow it. There is very little online about this specific tank, which prompted my post.

Daniel

PS thanks for the tip re: Canadian tanks. I know little about tanks and would welcome correct information.

On that same page a little closer to the top there is a tank under camoflauge netting...this is the same tank.

How do you know? Blow the photo up as much as I can I cannot make much out.

PS thanks for the tip re: Canadian tanks. I know little about tanks and would welcome correct information.

The photo caption is way off. It could not have been taken in May 1918 as the red and white recognition stripes on the front horns were not introduced until the following month

How do you know? Blow the photo up as much as I can I cannot make much out.

It is from the caption, so caveat emptor.

Hi Michael, all...

Hm, it seems the folks in Albany are going to need some help. They have a lot of materials on their site so I would gather this would be a gigantic undertaking, correcting all the errors.

So, it is a great, albeit flawed resource.

:)

Daniel

It is from the caption, so caveat emptor.

It's not in the caption I can see

The photo that does show the name has a possibly misleading caption. The photo may (or may not) have been taken in August 1918 but the tank must have been knocked out (or broken down) before June 1918 as there are no red and white recognition stripes on the horns. It has clearly been stripped down with the gun mounts etc removed for a salvage team (British or German?) has has time to get at it. There is no obvious reason for its abandonment (the tracks could have broken but being removed how is one to know?). It could even be one of the "savage rabbit" tanks that ran out of fuel during the German March offensive. I would take all captions with a mine of salt.

Have a look here:

http://iarchives.nysed.gov/PubImageWeb/viewImageData.jsp?id=177323

This is where the camoflauged tank is IDd as Judge Jeffrey.

Daniel

Thanks for this - clicking on the original page did not bring up this detail for me. 10th Batn agrees with the J name. I think the tank(s) in the hedge row are Savage Rabbits. These were tanks that were supposed to emerge from hiding to take the attackers in the flank or rear. It didn't work as the Mk IV was too slow for this role and using tanks in penny packets is not an optimum use. On the few occasions were tanks were used in adequate numbers against the attackers they were quite successful. The knocked out tank has been worked over by a salvage crew.

post-9885-0-80226200-1307437461.jpg

Two more Savage Rabbits

Thanks for the details...very interesting information.

I am wondering also about the British tank perched on the hill, with Lieutenant Galbraith and Lieutenant Wallsers pictured below it. I wonder what became of them? I don't see anything in that picture that might ID that tank.

Would you say the other tanks in this series are properly identified, at least in terms of nationality?

-Daniel

PS, I see a number on the side of the 'Canadian' tank. I see 4590?

Thanks for the details...very interesting information.

I am wondering also about the British tank perched on the hill, with Lieutenant Galbraith and Lieutenant Wallsers pictured below it. I wonder what became of them? I don't see anything in that picture that might ID that tank.

Would you say the other tanks in this series are properly identified, at least in terms of nationality?

-Daniel

PS, I see a number on the side of the 'Canadian' tank. I see 4590?

Its odd as whilst some units were still quipped with Mk IVs at the time of Amiens they did not take part. The 10th did but were using Mk Vs so again the caption detail may be off.

However I wonder if this photo and that of the "Canadian" tank show part of the deception operation carried out before Amiens, when to convince the Germans that the big attack would again be in Flanders Canadian troops were despatched there and underwent training in cooperation with tanks (The older Mk IVs I believe) where German recce aircraft could see them. Security was deliberately a little loose so that German intelligence could pick up the movement of Canadians and tanks to this front.

When afer the war old Mk IVs were delivered as presentation tanks to towns all over Britain one of the standard tall tales told of some by the delivery crews was that this tank served with the Canadians I wonder if this also arises out of this deception operation and some had been used for this.

The Renault tank shown is French in American service and the German tank is definitely a German A7V. The rest are all British. The American 301st Tank Btn did have some tanks donated to it by the British 10th Btn but these were MK Vs

Just tried the link, I see what you mean. Maybe they are having a server problem?

-Daniel

• 2 weeks later...

There is some circumstantial evidence that "Judge Jeffries" was J14 of B Section 10 Battalion, which was lost on 25 March 1918.

Gwyn

• 9 years later...

Seems a little late to chime in here but I have solved this little mystery. The Tank J14 Judge Jefferys was commanded by Lt J.A. McGuire who was from New York City. He enlisted in the CEF at Montreal in 1915. He was a member of the PPCLI until he resigned his CEF commission and joined the Imperial Forces  (Tank Corps) in 1918. He was posted to the 10th Battalion B company and commanded Judge Jefferys then JuJu in which he was part of an action at Amiens where he won the MC for asssiting in the capture of over 300 and the destruction of MG positions, trench mortar, and a field Gun. After the war he returned to New York and his papers ended up in the archives there after his death.

Edited by Ypres1915

• 2 weeks later...
On 07/02/2021 at 20:55, Ypres1915 said:

Seems a little late to chime in here but I have solved this little mystery. The Tank J14 Judge Jefferys was commanded by Lt J.A. McGuire who was from New York City. He enlisted in the CEF at Montreal in 1915. He was a member of the PPCLI until he resigned his CEF commission and joined the Imperial Forces  (Tank Corps) in 1918. He was posted to the 10th Battalion B company and commanded Judge Jefferys then JuJu in which he was part of an action at Amiens where he won the MC for asssiting in the capture of over 300 and the destruction of MG positions, trench mortar, and a field Gun. After the war he returned to New York and his papers ended up in the archives there after his death.

Wow, great detective work!  And he was local to me to boot!  He's buried in Arlington National Cemetery (see grave photo, attached).

Daniel

James Alexander McGuire Grave Arlington National Cemetery.jpg

7 hours ago, Ypres1915 said:

Do you have any information on his US service during the war?

I don’t have anything other than what I found online; here’s a working link pertaining to the OP:

http://www.archives.nysed.gov/education/camouflaged-tank-judge-jeffrey-france-march-24-1918

Also found this:

http://www.archives.nysed.gov/education/lieutenant-james-mcguire-shell-hole-world-war-i-france-1918

James Alexander McGuire - born 12 June 1880 New York - son of Dr Frank A McGuire

1.  McGuire, born in New York in 1880, was no stranger to life in uniform and, at the age of 18, had run away from home to enlist during the Spanish-American War in Cuba. By the time he was deployed the fighting had finished but he spent four years in Cuba with the 22nd Costal Artillery. After being discharged from the Army he returned to New York where he worked as an accountant for the Dock Commissioner on Pier A at the Battery.

McGuire travelled to Montreal, Canada in May 1915 and enlisted in the recently formed University Company. He was among the first wave of University Company men to join the Princess Patricia’s Canadian Light Infantry on the Western Front in late July 1915. For the next 20 months McGuire continued to serve with the PPCLI, initially as a machine gunner then sniper, where he soon reached the rank of Sergeant. In early 1917, keen for his next adventure, McGuire was selected for a commission which he requested being with the Tank Corps. etc ......

http://www.cambridgeshireregiment1914-18.co.uk/juju.html

Link in my first post here on 08 February:

2.  US Passport Application dated November 1919 (from ancestry):

Passport..jpg.ddaaf3f66bd50b056664feed68c146bb.jpg

3.  Canadian Expeditionary Force

a)   https://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/discover/military-heritage/first-world-war/personnel-records/Pages/item.aspx?IdNumber=149697

b)  http://38thbattalion.blogspot.com/2010/12/private-james-alexander-mcguire.html

4.  New York abstracts of WW1 Military Service (from ancestry):

46820600_USWW1.jpg.6bf9a5c7c675574ad0313a19465c9102.jpg

5.  Passport application November 1919 (from ancestry):

Passport 2.jpg

JP

Edited by helpjpl
typo

Discharged from the US Army at Fort Bayard, New Mexico, on 05 November 1919 with a 40% disability. Lived in Arizona thereafter and died in Tucson VA Hospital after an automobile accident.

1.  From ancestry - Arizona State Dept of Health Certificate of Death :

JAM.jpg.e9e339e6a6a5990cd598a95bbe500c64.jpg

2.  Tucson Citizen - 07 October 1958:

https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/581874540/

DEATHS James A McGuire - James A McGuire 78 of 345 1 Teton Rd died last night at Veterans Hospital   Native of New York City   Tucson resident 40 years   Member of Tucson Lodge No 4 F&AM   World War I veteran   Brother of Mrs Harriett Herbst New York City   Funeral arrangements to be announced by Arizona Mortuary

JP

What an amazing character! Thanks for bringing this up to date!