Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

AIF memoirs, letters and other works (not Battalion histories)

Waddell

Thanks all for the further contributions. I will add them to the list and update it again as it grows (which I think it will).

Dianne,

Thanks for tidying up the list- it is easier to read. Can I contact you when I update this one?

Jeff,

Good to hear from you.

You have unwittingly thrown another category in their with the Tatura's Roll of Honour book. I 'm thinking about starting another list for these type of books related to a specific area or memorials. Anyone have any thoughts about this? Or just add them to this list?

Scott

Hi Scott. You can either contact me or download my list and save it and just continue adding to it. No probs.

You have unwittingly thrown another category in their with the Tatura's Roll of Honour book. I 'm thinking about starting another list for these type of books related to a specific area or memorials. Anyone have any thoughts about this? Or just add them to this list?

Trust Jeff to throw a spanner in the works! :rolleyes:

Hmmm.....I think it might be best to start a separate list, as they are not based on specific battalions / often don't include excerpts of letters / diaries etc - so basically as you said, a different category. They mostly contain well researched Bios on the individual soldiers & areas though, and are well worth collecting.

As I think I mentioned earlier Scott - there was a list started on the GWF many years ago - but it was world-wide - I'll see if I can find it & subtract the ones I added - see what else I've come across since & post it for you to decide how to go about it.

Cheers, Frev

This is the list of Honour Books from 2005 - I'll add to it soon :)

Victorian Memorials, Suburbs, Towns, Districts etc:

"Lest we Forget: Biographical summaries of the men who are listed on the Croydon War Memorial" - by B. Nitschke 1992

"Commemorating the Fallen - Yarra Junction Cenotaph - The Great War 1914-1919" - by B. Sutherland 2000

"Mystic Soldiers of Empire. The Military Service of Mystic Park Residents in the Boer War, and First and Second World Wars" - by C. Heggen 2001

"Fallen Heroes: Warracknabeal War Memorial" - by G. Massey 2003

"The Coleraine Cenotaph: a brief biographical record of the 103 First and Second World War service personnel commemorated." - by K. Fitzgerald 2002

"Our Gallant Heroes - Marong Honour Roll 1914-1919 War" - by A. O'Donohue 1997

"Eaglehawk's Bravest 1914-1918: for King and country" - by E. Harrington & B. Hanson.

"Let those who come after: the world war one veterans of Dartmoor and District" - by M. Greenham 1995

"Lest we forget: Swanpool & districts call to arms and those who answered 1914-1973" - by G.E. Kirk 2001

"Heroes of the Winchelsea district: in remembrance of those who served" - by N. Mawson, C. Alsop & R. Mawson 2001

"Gallipoli Heroes - A tribute to the men from Western Victoria who gave their lives for their country" - by G. Massey 2004

Cheers, Frev

Hmmm.....I think it might be best to start a separate list, as they are not based on specific battalions / often don't include excerpts of letters / diaries etc - so basically as you said, a different category. They mostly contain well researched Bios on the individual soldiers & areas though, and are well worth collecting.

I think you are right Frev. A separate list by state.

A good list you have there. I have quite a few New South Wales books to add.

These lists are growing!

Scott

Ah...but don't you just love lists! :wub:

Some more that might fit into the new list:

[the ones like All-Australia Memorial etc are very expensive to buy originals if you can get them - but are all available from Archive CD Books]

Honour Books:

Vic:

All-Australia Memorial (Victorian Edition)

Diggers and Mates, Victorian WW1 Veterans in Profile – by Kylie McKenzie

Veteran's Affairs, 1995

(including many interviews with the Vets &/or their families)

The Education Department's Record of War Service

Education Dep

(Victorian Teachers)

Geelong Grammarians at the Great War – by James Affleck

Cliffe Books, 1999

War Services Old Melburnians 1914-1918 – by J.B. Kiddle

(Melbourne Grammar School)

They Served in Blue Khaki & Blue – by Malcolm Grant

Self published 2005

(Victoria Police)

Fallen - The Ultimate Heroes – by Jim Main & David Allen

Crown Content, 2002

(Victorian Footballers)

Dinkum Oil – Letters published in the Ballarat Courier during the Great War – by A.M. Taylor (FFFAIF member). Self published 2006

(including Bios on the letter writers)

Echoes From the Front - Frankston's Ave of Honour – by Val Latimer

Mornington Peninsula Family History Society, 2008

NSW:

Australia's Fighting Sons of the Empire – (NSW & Qld Edition)

Bank of New South Wales Roll of Honour

Book of Remembrance of the University of Sydney

Our Soldiers, Bungendore & the Great War – by Glenda Ellis

Ginninderra Press, 2007

Echoes of Anzac - Manildra and district's WW1 story 1914-1918 – by Heather Nicholls

Self published 2006

Scone’s Fallen Anzacs – by Harry Willey (FFFAIF member)

Self published 2006

Sons to the Empire's Cause – Tumbarumba in WW1 – by Catherine & Ron Frew

Wilkie Watson Publishers, 1988

Wellington's Finest – by Trevor Munro & Graeme Hosken (FFFIAF members)

Self published, 2005

We have not forgotten - Yass & Districts War 1914-1918 – by C. Mongan & R. Reid

Milltown Research & Publications, 1998

QLD:

Australia's Fighting Sons of the Empire - NSW & Qld

Queenslanders Who Fought in the Great War

TAS:

Tasmania's War Record 1914-1918

WA:

Australia's Fighting Sons of the Empire - WA

Cheers, Frev

PS. Jonathan - I have actually made a start on scanning Storer's book - I'll get it to you eventually :thumbsup:

Well - just when you were beginning to doubt me :innocent: I've finally finished scanning the book!

Although I've done it at a fairly low resolution (still incredibly clear) - it's still a lot of pages (ie. big file) - so, you can either PM me your email & I'll send a few pages through at a time - or much easier - PM me your snail mail address & I'll burn to disc & post (no charge :) )

Cheers, Frev

PS - quite happy to send a disc to anyone else wanting a copy.

Frev,

I have sent a PM.

Thanks for everything

Jonathan

I was at the NLA in Canberra the other day and discovered another book about a 14th Battalion member Harold Krutl. He was bandsman from D Company who kept a diary and apparently added much when he had time at a later date. The compiler did an excellent job in combining all aspects including researching and correcting (in a positive sense) any inaccuracies. Harold came home after wounds and illness in 1917 having only served on the line at Gallipoli.

Diary of Bandsman H E Krutl D Company, 14th Battalion, 4th Infantry Brigade AIF

Private publication 2009

Compiled by Bea Brewster

Researched and edited by Marie Kau

another book, one of the better ones on Jacka

Jacka VC Australian Hero

Robert Macklin

Allen & Unwin 2006

Frev,

I have sent a PM.

Thanks for everything

Jonathan

No worries Jonathan - the disc will be in the mail this week.

Cheers, Frev

No worries Jonathan - the disc will be in the mail this week.

Cheers, Frev

Got it, thank you.

It is an interesting account and a valuable addition to the collection.

All the best

Jonathan

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the updates. Brilliant job.

Jonathan

• 4 months later...

Picked up an old memoir written by a local soldier of his experiences earlier in the war serving in New Guinea. "Australians In Action In New Guinea" by Signaller L.C Reeves. The book was published in 1915 by W.C Penfold. Photographs were by Signaller H. Ellis. Will add this one to the list.

Still building this list if anyone has found a title.

Scott.

Not stated - Flesh in Armour; Leonard Mann 1932 (a veteran)

Len

Just come back from a two week spell camping at Mallacoota. Same site for years with plenty of good neighbours who have become friends. Next site to us are Pauline and Lachie. My wife was talking about my book when Pauline quips about her father being Leonard Mann. Much to my embarrassment I hadn't heard of him or his book so I looked him up. A 39th Battalion man. His book, which was fiction based on his service memories at Ypres, won a Commonwealth Literary award even though he couldn't find a publisher in Australia. Apparently it's been reprinted in America. There's another book I have to get now.

Jonathan

• 2 months later...

Scott,

Here's another;

1st Australian Naval and Military Expeditionary Force

Meade, Kevin, "Heroes before Gallipoli; Bita Paka and that One Day in September",

Published 2005 by John Wiley & Sons

Here's another;

1st Australian Naval and Military Expeditionary Force

Meade, Kevin, "Heroes before Gallipoli; Bita Paka and that One Day in September",

Published 2005 by John Wiley & Sons

Thanks Phil. Will add this to the list on the next update and make a AN&MEF category as well.

I came across another local memorial book, 'Turramurra Memorial Gates and Book of Remembrance' by D.R.V Wood. I will also add this.

Anyone else come across some more interesting and lesser known books?

Scott

• 1 year later...

Two new books released within the last few months to add to the list.

THE MAN AUSTRALIA FORGOT

The story of PAUL JOSEPH McGINNESS DFC, DCM, MID. Co-Founder of Qantas Airways.

Author Pauline Cottrill (daughter of Paul McGinness)

Copyright R. Nardini and L. Hanson in association with Qantas Founders Museum Pty Ltd.

Published by Pictorial Press Australia,

P.O. Box 388, Corinda, Qld. 4075.

ISBN 9781876561796

GALLIPOLI EYEWITNESS. Lieutenant G M Gibson's diaries and photographs.

Author's Robert Gibson and Steve Kendall.

Published by PB Publishing, Gisborne, Victoria.

ISBN 9780987191120

Hi All

Perhaps these two books will fall almost into this category, considering they are not unit histories.

Fremantle to France - 11th Bn AIF 1914-19 - this has each award winner's biography, letters and diary extracts, POW reports and numerous rolls and other info = self published in 2003/4 since sold out

Bloody Angle, Bullecourt & Beyond - 16th Bn AIF 1914-19- same sort of book as above. Self published in 2008 and still available - about 130 books left I think

put together by Ian Gill

Cheers and apologies for shameless self promotion, but thought they may be of interest.

Ian

• 4 weeks later...

PS - quite happy to send a disc to anyone else wanting a copy.

Hi Frev, I'd love a copy of the Storer book too, if you don't mind, that is!

I also have an excellent book to add to the list. An utterly tragic tale.

10th LHR

"The Price of Valour" by John Hamilton

- biography of Hugo Throssell, the only Australian LHR VC recipient in WW1

Hi Frev, I'd love a copy of the Storer book too, if you don't mind, that is!

No worries Summer - PM me your snail-mail address, and I'll get a copy in the mail for you :thumbsup:

There is 'Far Well Dear People' by Ross MCMullin.

PS:

if it is of interest, there is a little booklet written by Ron Austin and put out by Gould Genealogy as part of 'Unlock the Past'. It is titled AIF Histories of the Great War.

G'day Scott, Frev, Fedelmar, et al,

A few more for your lists:

"Canterbury's Boys World War 1 and Sydney's Suburban Fringe" - Canterbury and District Historical Society (ed. Lesley Muir)

Biographies and photos (where available) of over 1900 men and women from the District who served in all arms of the Forces.

"To the Last Ridge" The First World War Memoirs of w.H. Downing (7th & 57th Battalions)

"An Impression Which Will Never Fade" Neville Kidd. The story of Roy Harrison (2nd & 54th Btns) who served at Gallipoli and was killed at Fromelles.

"The Miraculous "Lives" of a Man Called Jack". John Cox. Biography of Arthur John Cox (Boer War, 2nd Zulu Rebellion and 4th Light Horse)

"A Very Man: Donald Drummond Clarkson (1880 - 1918) His Last Journey".(28th Btn) Compiled and edited by Gresley Clarkson

Regards,

Pop

(Sean McManus)

• 2 months later...

Picked up another today

'Cyril Lander 1892-1983 Australian WW1 veteran & Artist' by Marion Nixon.

Cyril was in the 14th Battalion at Gallipoli, arriving just before the August offensive. In early 1916 he transferred to th 4th Pioneer Battalion.

• 2 months later...

A new addition to my collection:

1st Battalion, AIF:

"In Great Spirits" - The WW1 Diary of Archie Barwick (From Gallipoli to the Western Front and Home Again)

HarperCollins Publishers, 2013

[sgt 914, Archibald Albert Barwick, CdeG]