Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Major-General W.A.M. Stawell

stephen p nunn

Just been to see my mate at the local military museum. He has purchased a load of WW2 SOE stuff but amongst it all is a fantastic set of medals to:

Major-General W.A.M. Stawell

He was born on 22/1/1895 and commissioned into the Royal Engineers during the Great War. He was entitled to the trio and I have a copy of a picture of him with some of his men.

After the war he was on the staff of the war Office, but in 1940 was Assistant Director of Military Intelligence and then in charge of SOE work.

He later settled in Lowestoft and died in June 1987.

Anyone know much about his Great War activities please?

Thanks.

SPN

Maldon

From Spinks http://www.spink.com/auctions/pdf/1008.pdf

Major-General William ‘Billy’ Arthur Macdonald Stawell, C.B., C.B.E., M.C. (1895-1987), born India, the son of Lieutenant-Colonel G.C. Stawell; educated at Clifton and the Royal Military Academy, Woolwich; commissioned Second Lieutenant, Royal Engineers, 12.8.1914; served during the Great War, in command of a Signal Company, on the Western Front, August 1915-April 1917 (M.C.), ‘He won the Military Cross in 1917, but was severely wounded. Indeed he was exceptionally lucky to survive as his femoral artery was cut - a wound which normally causes death within minutes.... His convalescence took a year….

From Spinks http://www.spink.com...ns/pdf/1008.pdf

Major-General William ‘Billy’ Arthur Macdonald Stawell, C.B., C.B.E., M.C. (1895-1987), born India, the son of Lieutenant-Colonel G.C. Stawell; educated at Clifton and the Royal Military Academy, Woolwich; commissioned Second Lieutenant, Royal Engineers, 12.8.1914; served during the Great War, in command of a Signal Company, on the Western Front, August 1915-April 1917 (M.C.), ‘He won the Military Cross in 1917, but was severely wounded. Indeed he was exceptionally lucky to survive as his femoral artery was cut - a wound which normally causes death within minutes.... His convalescence took a year….

Fantastic - thank you very much. This is just one set from a very large collection of SOE stuff that he has just got hold of.

Best regards.

SPN

Maldon

SUPPLEMENT TO THE LONDON GAZETTE, 4 AUGUST, 1917

The undermentioned to be actg Majs:-

Lt. (temp. Capt.) W. A. M. Stawell

M.C., from 17th Mar. to 21st Apr. 1917.

SUPPLEMENT TO THE LONDON GAZETTE, 15 JANUARY, 1919

The undermentioned to be actg. Majs.: —

Capt. W. A. M. Stawell, M.C. 12th Nov.

SUPPLEMENT TO THE LONDON GAZETTE, 21 AUGUST, 1919

The undermentioned relinquish the actg.

rank of Maj. : —

Capt. W. A.-M. Stawell, M.C. 7th July

alas I am unable to turn-up his MC

regards

Michael

SUPPLEMENT TO THE LONDON GAZETTE, 4 AUGUST, 1917

The undermentioned to be actg Majs:-

Lt. (temp. Capt.) W. A. M. Stawell

M.C., from 17th Mar. to 21st Apr. 1917.

SUPPLEMENT TO THE LONDON GAZETTE, 15 JANUARY, 1919

The undermentioned to be actg. Majs.: —

Capt. W. A. M. Stawell, M.C. 12th Nov.

SUPPLEMENT TO THE LONDON GAZETTE, 21 AUGUST, 1919

The undermentioned relinquish the actg.

rank of Maj. : —

Capt. W. A.-M. Stawell, M.C. 7th July

alas I am unable to turn-up his MC

regards

Michael

Lovely - thanks very much Michael.

Best regards.

S.

• 6 years later...

Hi Stephen,

I am researching my fathers exploits in WW2. He was recommended for the Military Medal by Maj-Gen WAM Stawell in Italy, August 1944. I'm trying to find any debrief my father did and am fairly certain that it was done at this time. Amongst these things your mate got, or any other things he may have, would there be any type of debrief/report documents?

Michele Reid

New Zealand 

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎31‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 05:00, Michele said:

Hi Stephen,

I am researching my fathers exploits in WW2. He was recommended for the Military Medal by Maj-Gen WAM Stawell in Italy, August 1944. I'm trying to find any debrief my father did and am fairly certain that it was done at this time. Amongst these things your mate got, or any other things he may have, would there be any type of debrief/report documents?

Michele Reid

New Zealand 

Hi Michele - not sure. You could email the museum and ask: http://www.cmsm.co.uk/

• 11 months later...

Stephen, I am working on the story of Major Herbert Alfred Charlton who, as a company sergeant major in the 23rd Field Company, R.E. served with Stawell in France in Jun-Sep 1940.

The Commander Royal Engineers (C.R.E.) of the 1st Infantry Division was Lieutenant Colonel W.A.M. Stawell, R.E., who was later succeeded by Lieutenant Colonel R.D.B. Perrott, R.E.[ii]  The 1st and 2nd Infantry Divisions, both part of the Aldershot Command at that time, formed the British I Corps.  

The majority of the 1st Infantry Division crossed the English Channel on the 20th of September 1939 in order to assist the French with their defence against the attacking German forces. 

Later Major General W.A.M. Stawell, C.B., C.B.E., M.C.

[ii]  Later Brigadier R.D.B. Perrott, D.S.O., O.B.E., M.C., killed in action in 1942.