Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

War Memorial - Eckington, Derbyshire

Flamstead

That seems plausible. Certainly we've seen plenty of other errors in the Ringing World reports

Hi Alan,

Ah yes ! that could well make sense - I have the following information for Harold Marshall Barker.

BARKER Harold Marshall Private 13790 12th Bn West Yorkshire Regt 19 May 1916 b. Ridgeway enlisted Sheffield Son of Mrs W Barker of 43 Marshall Rd Woodseats Sheffield V A 11 La Laiterie Military Cemetery

This is the same information you have.

Strangely enough, I don't record him as being named on any of the War Memorials in the Eckington Parish which, if he was a Bellringer at the church you might expect him to be.

Regards,

Simon

Depends, he may not actually have lived in the parish. As another example, in St Peter's Dorchester there's a specific bellringers' memorial for Dorchester and the surrounding area. One man is named as a ringer at St Peter's. Just outside the church is the parish memorial, no sign of him at all!

• 7 months later...

Hi everyone,

I have just joined the forum and came across this one that fascinates me. My Great Grandfather was George H Taylor and he is possibly mentioned on the first list. He was born in Killamarsh but married a girl from Mosborough. Unfortunately he died from wounds in 1916, before my Grandfather was born. I have a photograph of him and have discovered that he was in the Royal Fusiliers, 22nd Battallion. I have no idea how a lad from Killamarsh ended up in the Kensington Pals Battallion. If anyone could shed any light on this I would be very grateful.

Lisa

The 22nd Bn spent time at Clipstone camp, Nottinghamshire from June to Aug 1915 - he may have seen them and decided to join. I have men from all over the country who joined the Notts & Derby Regiment. Other than that he may either have been moved from another 'local' regiment or the Army needed men in the Royal Fusilers.

If you have ancestry, have you checked for his medal index card and papers (only some 30% survived)

Regards and welcome

Steve M

Hi and welcome, Lisa

This seems to match, but I can't find a corresponding entry (so far) in Soldiers Died in the Great War which adds enlistment location etc

TAYLOR, GEORGE H. Rank: Private. Service No: K/1331. Date of Death: 19/09/1916. Age: 21.

Regiment/Service: Royal Fusiliers. 22nd Bn.

Grave Reference: B. 22. 48. Cemetery: ST. SEVER CEMETERY, ROUEN

Additional Information: Son of Septimus and Ester Taylor, of Mosborough, Sheffield; husband of Dorothy Livesey (formerly Taylor), of 49, Duke St., Mosborough, Sheffield.

St Sever Cemetery would likely indicate death from wounds at Base Hospital

Medal Index Card shows entry into France 16 November 1915 so qualified for 1915 Star as well as British War and Victory medals.

This may be their marriage:-

Name: George H Taylor. Spouse: Dorothy Farrow. Date of Registration: Oct-Nov-Dec 1914

Registration District: Chesterfield, Derbyshire. Volume: 7b. Page: 1688

Hi Lisa,

My past research, in and around Eckington, has thrown up eight Taylors (although two, numbers 2 and 4, are quite likely duplicates of others), as follows .....

(1) TAYLOR Frank Gunner 151324 154th Heavy Battery, Royal Garrison Artillery 21 July 1918 b. Killamarsh enlisted Sheffield resident Killamarsh Age 26 Son of Joseph & Elizabeth Taylor of Rowley's Row, Killamarsh II A 23 Godewaersvelde British Cemetery, France (2) TAYLOR Frank (Unknown) (3) TAYLOR George H Private K/1331 22nd Bn Royal Fusiliers 19 September 1916 Age 21 Son of Septimus & Ester Taylor of Mosborough Husband of Dorothy Livesey (formerly Taylor) of 49 Duke St, Mosborough B 22 48 St. Sever Cemetery, France (4) TAYLOR George Henry (Unknown) (5) TAYLOR John Frederick Private 39349 1st Bn East Yorkshire Regt 10 September 1918 b. Killamarsh enlisted Sheffield resident Killamarsh Panel 4 Vis-En-Artois Memorial (6) TAYLOR Wilfred Private 19338 6th Bn York & Lancaster Regt 16 December 1915 Age 25 Son of Herbert Taylor of Eckington Husband of Leah Taylor of 3 Beighton Hollow, Halfway, Sheffield II F 12 Hill 10 Cemetery, Turkey b. Eckington enlisted Sheffield (7) TAYLOR Wilfred Private 19338 6th Bn York & Lancaster Regt 16 December 1915 Age 25 Son of Herbert Taylor of Eckington Husband of Leah Taylor of 3 Beighton Hollow, Halfway, Sheffield II F 12 Hill 10 Cemetery, Turkey b. Eckington enlisted Sheffield (8) TAYLOR William Private PLY/138(S) Plymouth Bn Royal Naval Div Royal Marine Light Infantry 3 May 1915 Age 40 Husband of Emma Taylor of 93 Duke St, Mosborough 102 Pink Farm Cemetery, Helles, Turkey

Numbers 1, 4 and 5 on the above list are on the Killamarsh War Memorial, number 2 is on the Ridgeway Memorial, numbers 3 and 8 are on the Mosborough Memorial, number 6 is on the Eckington Memorial and number 7 is on the Halfway Memorial.

I hope that might help add a little more to your knowledge.

Simon

• 4 months later...

Update:

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/local/researcher-brings-sheffield-world-war-one-soldiers-stories-to-life-1-6173388

"Simon Goodwin has spent the last four years on a quest to identify more than 500 men from around south Sheffield and part of north Derbyshire named on local war memorials.."

Kath.

Hi Kath,

Thanks for posting that link to the article in "The Star" - I hope that in the feedback that I have only just started to receive, at eckingtonwarmemorial@gmail.com, we make some more discoveries to ensure that we remember the sacrifice of all these men as well as we should.

Simon (Goodwin)

• 1 year later...

Hi Simon

Do you have any further details on the two Hadfield men on the Eckington war memorial?

My great grandad was called Cyril Hadfield born at Eckington 1905,my mum thinks his father may have been called Fred.

I may just be putting two and two together here,but I expect a possible link.

Shane

Hi Shane,

Many thanks for your contact.

The few details that I have on these two individuals is as follows .....

HADFIELD Alfred Private 19887 8th Bn King's Own Yorkshire Light Infantry 1 July 1916 Age 21 Son of Thomas Hadfield of 17 Gosber St, Eckington IV H 18 Serre Road Cemetery No. 2 b. Sheffield enlisted Eckington

HADFIELD Fred Lance Corporal 3/3641 2nd Bn York & Lancaster Regt 21 August 1916 Husband of C Hadfield of 7 Gasbur St, Eckington II C 18 Couin British Cemetery b. Eckington enlisted Eckington

Both are named on Eckington War Memorial.

It is quite possible that Fred Hadfield's wife's address has been incorrectly recorded and it should be 7 Gosber Street (as I cannot think of a Gasbur street in the village). This would also put her only ten houses down the road from her Parents in Law IF Alfred Hadfield was Fred's brother.

I hope that this information helps and would be very interested to hear back from you at a later date if you do manage to make a link.

Simon

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Simon

Thanks for the info.

I need to get access to the 1911 census to confirm if this is indeed cyrils father or if both men are related to my Hadfield line of the family.This is the only branch I have not yet thoroughly researched.

Shane

• 3 years later...

Hello,

I am currently creating a web page for the Marsh Lane War Memorial to add to my One Place Study of the Handleys and Marsh Lane.  I'm updating the website but do have a Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/groups/thehandleys/  if anyone is interested.

I noticed on the list above that quite a few of the names are on the Marsh Lane Memorial would it be too much trouble to ask if you would mind sharing what information you have on the following please?:

ALBERT NEEDHAM

GEORGE PICKERING

HUBERT MORLEY

BERNARD SEATON

BERNARD MILLINGTON

RUSSELL SHAW

WILLIE A. SHAW

WILLIAM WARING

1914-19

SIDNEY PEARSON

EDGAR NIGHTINGALE

ALBERT CARTER

ALBERT CARDING

HARRY SHAW

GEORGE A. DEFFLEY

JOSEPH A. ROGERS

HAROLD PEARSON

JOSEPH TURNER

FRANK BROWN

ERNEST HOPKINSON

FRED'K A. MARPLES

JOSEPH BAILEY

JOSEPH MAILE

GEORGE SHAW

I've been using the CWGC, newspapers and other records to find information on the above but so far have only been able to find information on a few of them.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Take care,

Jayne

• 1 year later...

Good morning.  I have details of another Mosborough man who became a casualty of The Great War- My Great Grandfather Private George Kitchin. 

George was born in Mosborough but travelled to London to join The Coldstream Guards in 1895 and served in London for 7 years on ceremonial duties with the Household Division. He left the army when he married my Great Grandmother Louisa and came back to Mosborough to work in the coal mines with his father and brother.  When war broke out in 1914 he was quick to volunteer; he joined the West Yorkshire Regt because the Recruiting Sergeant wouldn’t pay his train fare to London for him to rejoin The Coldstream. As he was an experienced soldier he was sent to France almost straight away.

In 1915 he was a casualty of a German gas attack at Ypres in Belgium. George was badly affected by the gas and was hospitalised. Eventually he recovered sufficiently to carry out light duties, looking after the Military Working Horses which he enjoyed as he had looked after the pit ponies at the mines around Mosborough. George survived the war but he was very ill because of his gas-injury and he died in 1921; his war grave is in the cemetery in Eckington, South Yorkshire; It was recently renovated by the Commonwealth War Graves Commission.

George Kitchin.jpg

Kitchin War Grave.jpg

Edited by Guest
add pictures