Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

arthur palmer hill

bertieb

Can anyone tell me any information about Arthur Palmer Hill Private 11898 8th Battilion Lincolnshire regiment Died 31/7/17? This info is on the war graves commission but can't find records elsewhere? Any info appreciated. Thank you.

Hello Bertieb

Have you looked at LLT (The Long Long Trail ) for information

http://www.1914-1918.net/lincolns.htm

http://www.1914-1918.net/21div.htm

http://www.1914-1918.net/37div.htm

Try these for information

regards

Ian

bb

Remembered on the Menin Gate so seems likely to have been killed at the start of the Battles of Third Ypres (Passchendaele).

You would get info from his unit War Diary on what was happening on that day,WO95/2529 is digital and can be downloaded from the NA Catalogue for 3.50. It runs from Aug 1916 through to Mar 1919.

Sotonmate

Many thanks for replies, lots to look at! Just curious can't seem to find any records on ancestry as I can for his brother George. Unless I'm not looking in the right place!!! Many thanks again.

Most of the records for WW1 soldiers were destroyed during the bombing of London in WW2. Only about 30% (I think) survived and many are in a damaged condition.

So you were quite lucky to find his brother's records!

bb

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue

Enter WO95/2529 in the box at upper mid-left of screen and it will link to the War Diary,click on 8 Lincolns,then next click a box centre right for ordering and viewing options for link to the digital diary.

Sotonmate

Enlisted late Aug/early Sep 1914.

Went to France 10 Sep 1915 as an original member of 8th Lincs. Would have fought at Loos later that month when the battalion suffered heavy losses.

Killed during the Battle of Pilckem Ridge. 8th Lincs was engaged around Wambeke. All the "other rank" losses were reported to have been with "D" Company.

Jim

Many thanks for replying. Arthur had a brother George who was also in the Lincolnshire regiment 10th Battilion who sadly died 25/09/1916, would they have been fighting in the same area does anyone know? Arthur died 31/07/1917 sadly two brothers lost to the war. Could they have been near each other fighting for their livesand their country? Did the local papers report on soldiers killed in the war? I am a beginner to all this so grateful for all your help!

Hi Bertieb

yes the local newpaper would have reported on local men being wounded, missed, killed, award medals etc. For more on the Lincolnshire regiment see Major-General C R Simpson's The History of the Lincolnshire Regiment 1914-1918, Naval and Military Press. I can't see that the 10th Battalion were in action the date you give for your uncle's death, could have died of wounds. Jim Davies could have further details.

• 5 months later...

Hello bertieb and others

I have already posted these pictures elsewhere on the Forum, but it seems appropriate to add them here to this thread too.

I found these two large portraits last week, 'hiding' behind two modern prints, in their original frames. They were among items donated to raise funds for our new village hall, to replace the Drinkstone War Memorial Institute, a former RFC/RAF officers mess hut (the subject of other Forum postings), now awaiting reconstruction at the Stow Maries Airfield.

What happy coincidence to find someone related to these men looking for information about them on this site. I hope these images thrill you as much as they did me when I revealed them!

Robin

post-47580-0-44546300-1321526234.jpg

post-47580-0-61101400-1321526253.jpg