Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Sign in to follow this  
Beau Geste

The right or the wrong side ?

Beau Geste

During the relatively recent Royal Wedding, David Beckham was apparently pilloried in the national press for "wearing his OBE (or was it an MBE) on the right-hand side of his jacket. Is there a right and a wrong side ? My friend ( who posed this question) suggests that medals awrded for actions carried out in civilian life are worn on the right side while those awarded for actions carried out during military service are worn on the left side. I'd appreciate it if someone could supply the definitive answer to this problem.

Kind regards,

H\arry

ralphjd

He did switch it to the left (correct) a while later. Ralph.

John S

But he shouldn't have been wearing it at all. I believe the invites specifically said 'no medals'

John

ralphjd

Ah, did not know that snippet of info, my invitation must have gone astray in the post. :whistle:

ralphjd

Gotcha. Its just arrived :thumbsup: a bit late :P it says Dress: Uniform, Morning Coat or Lounge Suit. So medals ok.

Piorun

But he shouldn't have been wearing it at all. I believe the invites specifically said 'no medals'

John

That would have been a bit rich seeing the groom was wearing one :blink: - and yes, Harry, there is a right side and wrong side. I believe that, for those wearing uniform, the RHS Stanhope Gold Medal and the Silver and Bronze Medals, the RNLI Medals and the Order of St.John of Jerusalem Life Saving Medals may all be worn on the right side. The matter gets complicated when one gets into Legion Dress and the like. It is further confused by commemorative medals issued by, for instance, the Territorial Army or the British War Veterans Association - and don't even contemplate Foreign Decorations! Antony

Beau Geste

That would have been a bit rich seeing the groom was wearing one :blink: - and yes, Harry, there is a right side and wrong side. I believe that, for those wearing uniform, the RHS Stanhope Gold Medal and the Silver and Bronze Medals, the RNLI Medals and the Order of St.John of Jerusalem Life Saving Medals may all be worn on the right side. The matter gets complicated when one gets into Legion Dress and the like. It is further confused by commemorative medals issued by, for instance, the Territorial Army or the British War Veterans Association - and don't even contemplate Foreign Decorations! Antony

Thank you Antony and a thank you t all of you who have taken the trouble to respond.

Harry

Steven Broomfield

Out of interest, the King's Royal Hussars award (sparingly) a Regimental Medal. It comes originally from the 14th King's Hussars, was adopted on amalgamation with the 20th Hussars (into the 14th/20th King's Hussars), and subsequently on amalgamation with the Royal Hussars (Prince of Wales's) into the current regiment.

It is worn at all times medals are worn - on the right side.

HarryBettsMCDCM

Foreign Medals & Decorations are relatively easy to pigeonhole:~

The Sovereign usually grants an "Accept & Wear" rule,normal for Foreign Gallantry & Meritorious Service awards granted in war time,with "Accept" an option for some awards,{eg the Iraq War Saudi & Kuwait awards,which could be acceptyed as a "Memento" but not worn in uniform,there already being a UK award for that Campaign}for specific Campaigns where no specific UK award [though a campaign medal may be awarded for the Whole Campaign] is made {ie Sudan 1890 Medals,Khedive Stars Sudan Medals 1910,etc;} the Foreign award may receive dispensation to be worn. :thumbsup:

Unofficial Medals such as the RHS,RNLI,LSS, awards & other privately awarded Medals & Decorations not being "In The Gift of the Monarch" are worn on the Right

Piorun

Foreign Medals & Decorations are relatively easy to pigeonhole:~

Unofficial Medals such as the RHS,RNLI,LSS, awards & other privately awarded Medals & Decorations not being "In The Gift of the Monarch" are worn on the Right

However, the order of wear can be a problem for those in uniform, Harry, as can regimental and commemorative medals. I understood that the ones I mentioned did have official sanction to be worn on the right. I'm not sure that these should be described as "unofficial" but I am open to enlightenment. I didn't think that uniformed personnel could wear other medals except with official permission. For those of us who have laid our military uniforms aside, medals from governments that the UK government refused to recognise are a thorny issue (along with being included in the Cenotaph service!). Incidentally, one reputable medal service instructed me to wear the TA Centenary Medal below my other decorations on the left. Where, if at all, would one wear the miniature? I am doubtful. Yours, Antony

HarryBettsMCDCM

I feel I should qualify that "Unofficial" being in its broadest sense Awards other than those Sanctioned by the Crown {or in the case of Foreign awards another Sovereign state,with official sanction} ie:~ those awarded by Societies & Institutions,Associations,etc; seperate from government/Crown Awards.

Beau Geste

Out of interest, the King's Royal Hussars award (sparingly) a Regimental Medal. It comes originally from the 14th King's Hussars, was adopted on amalgamation with the 20th Hussars (into the 14th/20th King's Hussars), and subsequently on amalgamation with the Royal Hussars (Prince of Wales's) into the current regiment.

It is worn at all times medals are worn - on the right side.

Thank you Steven : an exception to the rule then. No doubt there'll be others

Harry

Beau Geste

However, the order of wear can be a problem for those in uniform, Harry, as can regimental and commemorative medals. I understood that the ones I mentioned did have official sanction to be worn on the right. I'm not sure that these should be described as "unofficial" but I am open to enlightenment. I didn't think that uniformed personnel could wear other medals except with official permission. For those of us who have laid our military uniforms aside, medals from governments that the UK government refused to recognise are a thorny issue (along with being included in the Cenotaph service!). Incidentally, one reputable medal service instructed me to wear the TA Centenary Medal below my other decorations on the left. Where, if at all, would one wear the miniature? I am doubtful. Yours, Antony

As an RAEC Officers' Tutor this was the sort of topic I tried very hard to avoid. First impressions might suggest that it's straightforward enough but............

I'm sure there are more "exceptions to the rule" to come.

Harry