Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Capt Cecil Edwin Hunt, MC - 34th Sikh Pioneers

ASA1

Dear all,

I am looking for any information on Captain Cecil Edwin Hunt MC, 34th Sikh Pioneers.

CWGC entry states he was 34, and died on 19th December 1914. Adjutant of his regiment 1907-09. Served in Tibet & Mohmand campaigns. P.S.C. 1913-14. Son of Mr H Hunt; husband of Ethel Helen Hunt of Waverley Court, Camberley, Surrey.

Buried in Pont-Du-Hem Military Cemetery, La Gorgue.

Other than this I have been unable to establish much else about him. The 34th Sikh Pioneers were part of the 3rd (Lahore) Division. They suffered 6 other casualties that day, who are all commemorated on Neuve Chappelle memorial. The hard copy of the war diary is available at Kew (WO 95/3919). The Times reported on 31st December 1914 that Captain Hunt was missing, believed wounded and a prisoner.

I thought there may be an entry for him in Bond of Sacrifice or Ruvigny's, but there is nothing. He was the father of Baron John Hunt.

Can anyone shed any more light on his life or death?

Many thanks,

Andy

He is listed in "The Bristol Mercury & Daily Post" dated August 4th 1899 as a successful candidate in the exams held in June of that year for entry into RMC Sandhurst.

The 1911 census has him:

Cecil Edwin Hunt, Born 1881, Japan (British subject by parentage) Captain Indian Army (FMP Overseas births has him registered in Osaka, Japan, 1880)

Ethel Helen Hunt, Born 1885 (British India Resident)

Henry Cecil John Hunt, Born 1911 (British India Resident)

Married 1 year

6 St John's Road,

Leatherhead,

Surrey.

'The Times' 8th Sep 1909.

eg8rv8.jpg

Hi Andy,

From the "Indian Corps in France" page158: The Battle of Givenchy:

"In the meantime our Sappers and Miners were hard at work, under Captain Hunt, 34th Pioneers, at the dangerous task of trying to connect the saphead by a shallow communication trench with our original line; but the enemy's fire swept them away, and all were killed. Needless to remark, with their usual bravery, the Sappers renewed the attempt again and again."

I hope that this helps.

Robert

Thanks for the information.

Can anyone shed any more light on his military career or MC?

Andy

As he appears to have been Indian Army, his service record will presumably be in the India Office records at the British Library

Thanks David - will check it out

Thanks for the information.

Can anyone shed any more light on his military career or MC?

Andy

Andy

Here is his entry in Honour the Officers for WW1 page 397

Indian Army HUNT C.E. Captain MC. Sikh Pioneers (34) KBHL LG. 23.6.15 page 6128

KBHL - Kings Birthday Honours List.

Thanks Philip. So he was awarded the MC as part of the King's birthday honours, after his death. Would it still have been for a particular act of gallantry do you think?

Probably not, awards in the New Year and Birthday lists were usually for general good work

• 4 weeks later...

As he appears to have been Indian Army, his service record will presumably be in the India Office records at the British Library

Folks,

His service papers will NOT be at the British Library. As was the custom of the time, they would have been sent to his next of kin as a momento of his service.

It interesting that his MC was gazetted - they must have not declared him dead by that time, otherwise he could not have recived the MC.

Cofirmed the award: 6128 SUPPLEMENT TO THE LONDON GAZETTE, 23 JUNE, 1915.

(The header, from a previous page is thus)

(His Majesty the KING has been graciously pleased to approve of the undermentioned Honours and Rewards for distinguished service in the Field, with effect from 3rd June, 1915. inclusive: —)

34th Sikh Pioneers.

Awarded the Military Cross.

Captain C. E. Hunt.

Exactly what the MC was awarded for alas was not published - it was probabaly for this final actions and thus a gallantry award but without a publish citation ..

Birthday Honours awards are not always just 'good service awards over along period' - it's just impossible to know from the LG alone.

Matthew

• 7 years later...

Hi, if you are still reading this, I can tell you quite a bit about Captain Hunt. At the time of his death he had two children, aged I think four and five. One would become Brigadier Henry Cecil John Hunt, Baron Hunt KG, CBE, DSO, PC  best known as the leader of the successful 1953 British Expedition to Mount Everest. The other Hugh Sydney Hunt became one of the most successful theatre directors in post war Britain and the first executive director of the newly founded Australian Elizabethan Theatre Trust. Cecil had served on the NW Frontier in India - there are a number of photographs of him in several photo albums in the Nation Army Museum belonging to Capt Alexander Masters and George Paterson. The day he was killed he was seen crawling towards the enemy trench and it was thought he had been taken prisoner, but within a few days it was presumed he had been killed. His body was not discovered until 1921. 

I am researching the names of officers in my grandfather's diary. He was James William Barnett, a Captain in the Indian Medical Service attached in France and Mesopotamia to the 34th Sikh Pioneers. I am trying to build up a picture of the officers and men, particularly their characters and relationships, of the regiment at that time, so if you have any information on any of them - letters, photos, family anecdotes and so on, I would be grateful to hear from you.

• 2 months later...

Hi. I have just seen your post of the 24th July - sorry but I am not often on the GWF.

I have a good friend of mine who I think you should get in contact with - he, a for a couple of good reasons, is an expert on service of the Sikh Pioneer units and the men who served with them and could well help you out with your request.

Please message me with your email address and I will be happy to pass your details on.

Best regards,

Matthew

Edited by Matthew B.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi , my grandfather was an Indian soldier in 34 Sikh pioneers. His memoir mentions a few names on festerbert 23 - 11- 14 attack. He mentions the casualties and wounded. Amongst them is name of C.E.Hunt is there amongst the casualties . I am attaching the dairy notes jpg files  . They are in Punjabi language but English officers names are mentioned .IMG_20181112_005639.jpg.cb0f35c597bf1a4c169fd99790b90e54.jpg

IMG_20181112_005713.thumb.jpg.47464cb0c561130c031fd3f7d1400726.jpg

• 7 months later...
  • 11 months later...

CE Hunt is my great grandfather through my mother (Susan Hunt) and her father (John Hunt - Cecil Hunts eldest son). Did anyone translate the Punjabi diary? Our family would be very interested in if anyone got any further with all this.

Thanks to all,

Bruce

• 11 months later...

I came across this in the RMAS Sandhurst Church today. Probably won't help with your investigation but still nice to see. 

20210524_180629.jpg.699a3a39255971c858d8226da477cda9.jpg20210524_180629.jpg.699a3a39255971c858d8226da477cda9.jpg

Thank you Griff, I didn't know of this. I hope to visit one day. CE Hunts older son, HCJ Hunt (John), my grandfather, also went to Sandhurst and passed out first gaining the Anson Memorial Sword - 1929 (which I now have) and Kings Medal. 

IMG_1030.JPG.83d2bcfa2cd157c972879273d98597c0.JPG