Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

HMS Alert

stoker99

The sloop HMS Alert was apparently used as a depot ship in the Great War, anchored off Abadan Island in the Shatt al-Arab waterway, where she was involved with the fitting out of newly-built gunboats. However, 26 of the crew seem to have died of illness in the months from May 1916, whilst being held as prisoners of war by the Turks. Does anyone know what happened? Were they captured at Kut-al-Amara? If so, what were they doing there?

I suspect that they may have been volunteers on board the JULNAR which was disabled whilst attempting to reach KUT (24th April) and the survivors of the ship's company fell into the hands of the Turks.

• 5 years later...

My Grandfather Henry  Richard Thomas Woolford was on HMS Alert and he died form disease apparently after being captured by the Turks but I have yet to find any more information. He was reburied in Baghdad war Cemetery but of course what has happened there after the gulf War I don't know.Any information would be very welcome. Thank you Valerie

Thank you for that. i have his records or a short version it seems and pauses more questions than answers! he was apparently captured in  Kut 29 April 1916.HMS ALert is given as his ship but after HMS Pembroke 1 if I can decipher it correctly then P of W. Died 15 July 1916 whilst a prisoner of War in Mesapotamia. presumably he was on the march during the weeks he was aprisoner and certainly my father spoke of him being so. He was reburied (from where is unknown) in the Northern gate cemetery in Baghdad but there now seems a question of it still being there. I have a photo of my father at the grave which gave him some comfort. It is so frustrating not being able to get details. I live in Yorkshire but will be coming down to Hampshire shortly to spend some time with one of my sons so perhaps I could do some more digging but where is another quandary. Still never give up.

If you have time to stop in London while in the south, I believe there is a memorial tablet in the crypt of St Paul's to the dead of Kut and after.

Edited by seaJane

On his records it states HMS Alert Horseboats any ideas where I can find any more details of these and perhaps find out more about how he managed to become a prisoner at Kut. I have searched the HMS Julnar sites but not found any crew lists in case he was seconded  which would sort of tie in.

Use this link and search the document for "horse-boat" [with hyphen] for some details of these boats in the RN flotilla. See also "Julnar".

http://www.naval-history.net/WW1Book-NavyinMespotamia00.htm

It is interesting that he was one of the first RN ratings to serve in the Royal Canadian Navy from 1910, with RCN Service No. 45.

http://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/discover/military-heritage/royal-canadian-navy-1910-1941-ledger-sheets/Pages/item.aspx?IdNumber=1043

I am not aware of any other naval personnel being captured on this date at Kut so I think his being a volunteer in HMS JULNAR can be taken for granted. The date given for his capture is the date of the surrender of the Kut Garrison. He would have fallen into Turkish hands five days earlier.

Edited by horatio2

On ‎23‎/‎08‎/‎2016 at 10:46, wollyanna said:

He was reburied (from where is unknown) in the Northern gate cemetery in Baghdad

The CWGC entry states that his body was exhumed from Adana Cemetery (Turkey)

• 2 months later...

My Father served on HMS Alert from 13/02/1916 until 26/07/1918 from 13/02/1916 until 26/07/1918 it is noted in his Certificate Of Service that he served as a temporary warrant officer (gunner) in the R.I.M. his documents show him as a Leading Seaman prior too and afterward. On the 27/07/1918 he joined HMS Sapphire as a Leading Seaman. I am told by members of my family he was Mentioned In Dispatches which was recommended by the Head Of Land Forces India, and signed by Winston Churchill as First Lord of the Admiralty, I would like to obtain confirmation of this and any other information particularly about what was he doing as a RIM, but any other information would be gratefully received. 

Edited by Guest

We can't do much without knowing his name, I'm afraid! It's probably worth starting a new thread hi with his name as the heading.

17 hours ago, Thomas Turner said:

My Father served on HMS Alert from 13/02/1916 until 26/07/1918 from 13/02/1916 until 26/07/1918 it is noted in his Certificate Of Service that he served as a temporary warrant officer (gunner) in the R.I.M. his documents show him as a Leading Seaman prior too and afterward. On the 27/07/1918 he joined HMS Sapphire as a Leading Seaman. I am told by members of my family he was Mentioned In Dispatches which was recommended by the Head Of Land Forces India, and signed by Winston Churchill as First Lord of the Admiralty, I would like to obtain confirmation of this and any other information particularly about what was he doing as a RIM, but any other information would be gratefully received. 

14 hours ago, seaJane said:

We can't do much without knowing his name, I'm afraid! It's probably worth starting a new thread hi with his name as the heading.

Name Arthur James Turner service number 235243, Date of Birth 10th October 1889, Joined Navy as a Boy 1Nov 1905. I have his Service Records covering both WW! & WW2. If anyone can help me with any where I can get more information I will be most grateful.