Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Saturday evening article for ye

museumtom

I saw many evidences of this holiday atmosphere in Picardy to-day as I motored for many miles through the area behind the Somme battlefield. Thousands of British soldiers were preparing their temporary home for to-morrow’s feast, and everywhere there was the same cheerful activity, wholly unconnected with the business of war.

The lorries crawling along the roads carried puddings by the hundredweight, and their drivers smiled broadly at the ovation accorded these munitions of Christmas in the villages through which they passed. Cottages, stables, even farmyards were being decorated with whatever materials the temporary occupants could rake together from the little shops. The mobilisation of gifts from home proceeded smoothly under the direction of experts, who organised the food resources of their respective units with admirable discretion.

Excellent, museumtom! Thanks for sharing this. I've often wondered what it was like in Flanders at Christmastime. The positive human spirit coming out even in so bleak a situation. It would be interesting to see some soldier's diaries on the subject.

Excellent, museumtom! Thanks for sharing this. I've often wondered what it was like in Flanders at Christmastime. The positive human spirit coming out even in so bleak a situation. It would be interesting to see some soldier's diaries on the subject.

Very interesting Tom.Thanks for posting.

Joe

Thanks guys, I have collected over 400 different articles from Rural newspapeers, they are a resource that should be tapped more.

Tom.