Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Zeebrugge CWGC cemetery

SteveMarsdin

Good afternoon All,

When I've arrived in Belgium at Zeebrugge I've occasionally stretched my legs on the seawall* and stopped to read the memorial there, before journeying on further South. Today I decided to make the 5 minutes detour to the Zeebrugge CWGC cemetery [poorly signposted for once ! but just head for the church spire]:

5768525556_0c6ff4c219_z.jpg

* Bits of the old mole can still be seen

Zeebrugge centre is very small virtually surrounded by water (docks and canals) and literally by dual carriageways, but quite pleasant nonetheless if you want some fresh air or a bakers, before you start your journey. There's a memorial to Belgians killed in both World Wars just outside the cemetery and a mixture of German and British graves within.

5768525584_b9e0dba7f5_z.jpg

This is a monument to German torpedoboats S15 and S20

Ivy has grown over the original German entrance arch and also one of the smallest memorials to the missing (according to "Before Endeavours Fade") which has consequently got even smaller !

5768525602_7858c6c811_z.jpg

It commemorates four "missing" from the raid.

There are considerably more Germans buried in the cemetery than British; this isn't immediately obvious as most have been given the same white headstones. Most of the graves in this photo are German.

5768525588_31741a4ca6_z.jpg

As you would expect there are many Royal Marines commemorated there, with two more recent memorials to these VC holders:

5768525606_a7b3130df4_z.jpg

There is also the grave of a WW1 airman:

5768525576_596b2d8b13_z.jpg

Steve

An interesting place. I think you will have encouraged a few more visitors!

Roger

It is also not far from the memorial to the 1918 raid, which tells the story very well.

Instead of just getting off the ferry and beetling south, it is worth stopping an hour in Zeebrugges.

Bruce