Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Northumberland Fusiliers

preshub

It's not a common name and possible they were either brothers or cousins. Edward(10918) resided in Wallsend and although I don't know the battalion he was serving with(possibly the 13th), he was recorded as being wounded in May 1916. John(24/232) has a home address of 1 St.Marys St, Newcastle and enlisted on the 6th November 1914 and was killed 1/7/1916, aged 19yrs. He has a "next of kin address" of 1 Robsons Entry, Sandgate, Newcastle

It's not a common name and possible they were either brothers or cousins. Edward(10918) resided in Wallsend and although I don't know the battalion he was serving with(possibly the 13th), he was recorded as being wounded in May 1916. John(24/232) has a home address of 1 St.Marys St, Newcastle and enlisted on the 6th November 1914 and was killed 1/7/1916, aged 19yrs. He has a "next of kin address" of 1 Robsons Entry, Sandgate, Newcastle

Many thanks Graham I have just started this adictive trail having bought my first medal but I am struggling with where to.......etc

Perhaps its to late for me to learn so much but I will keep trying

They are not brothers

Edward Padden was born in 1895 Wallsend the son of Thomas and Margaret Padden (nee McHugh), of 164, Station Road, Wallsend. He worked as a shipwright for Swan Hunter.

John Padden was born in 1896 at Newcastle upon Tyne the son of Edward and Catherine Padden (nee Hall), of 1, Robsons Entry, Sandgate, Newcastle-upon-Tyne.

Regards

Pam

It may be that they are brothers, as John's parents are shown as Edward and Catherine

CWGC info:-

Name: PADDEN, JOHN. Rank: Private

Regiment/Service: Northumberland Fusiliers. Unit Text: 24th (Tyneside Irish) Bn.

Additional information: Son of Edward and Catherine Padden, of 1, Robsons Entry, Sandgate, Newcastle-on-Tyne.

Grave/Memorial Reference: Pier and Face 10 B 11 B and 12 B. Memorial: THIEPVAL MEMORIAL

Appears to have been born in 2nd Qtr 1897

1901 Census shows the family living in one room at No. 4, Johnsons Entry, as:-

Edward Padden, 32; Catherine Padden, 27; John Padden, 4; Edward Padden, 5 months

I can't see Edward as a casualty, so I assume you have sufficient info to check whether a 1900 baby was old enough to serve in WW1.....

Ah, Pam has the faster fingers!!!

As you have been given 1894 as DoB, then it clearly isn't the case that Edward is John's brother, as unlikely to have 2 Edwards in one family...

Looks like they may be cousins, at best....

Edward was awarded the Military Medal, presented to him by the Mayor of Wallsend on 22nd February 1919.

There is a reference to London Gazette 31173 11.2.19.... maybe some clever Pal can turn that into something intelligible, if you haven't already done so....

He also was entitled to the 1914-13 Star, British War and Victory medals, sent to him at 164, Station Roadt, Wallsend. In civilian life he had worked for Swan Hunter. He was renumbered 108418 and enlisted 3rd September 1914. He was discharged while serving in Salonika, effective 14th December 1918.

There should be ample local news coverage in the Wallsend library archives

He suffered a gun shot wound to his right knee in mid May 1916 and was treated at Wharncliffe War Hospital in Sheffield

Hold on a mo, in 1917 he seems to have been transferred to 195th Heavy Battery Royal Garrison Artillery. Same age and occupation, so it must be him.... embarked Nov 1917 from Southampton to Alexandria and then an interview with Admiralty, perhaps his expertise as a shipwright????

That resulted in him being sent back on the transport ship "Norman" to the UK to work in the National Shipyard....

Edwards next of kin was his father Thomas, of 164 Station Road....

Thanks Pam

It may be that they are brothers, as John's parents are shown as Edward and Catherine

Regiment/Service: Northumberland Fusiliers. Unit Text: 24th (Tyneside Irish) Bn.

Additional information: Son of Edward and Catherine Padden, of 1, Robsons Entry, Sandgate, Newcastle-on-Tyne.

Grave/Memorial Reference: Pier and Face 10 B 11 B and 12 B. Memorial: THIEPVAL MEMORIAL

Edward Padden, 32; Catherine Padden, 27; John Padden, 4; Edward Padden, 5 months

I can't see Edward as a casualty, so I assume you have sufficient info to check whether a 1900 baby was old enough to serve in WW1.....

As you have been given 1894 as DoB, then it clearly isn't the case that Edward is John's brother, as unlikely to have 2 Edwards in one family...

Edward was awarded the Military Medal, presented to him by the Mayor of Wallsend on 22nd February 1919.

There is a reference to London Gazette 31173 11.2.19.... maybe some clever Pal can turn that into something intelligible, if you haven't already done so....

He also was entitled to the 1914-13 Star, British War and Victory medals, sent to him at 164, Station Roadt, Wallsend. In civilian life he had worked for Swan Hunter.

He also was entitled to the 1914-13 Star, British War and Victory medals, sent to him at 164, Station Roadt, Wallsend. In civilian life he had worked for Swan Hunter. He was renumbered 108418 and enlisted 3rd September 1914. He was discharged while serving in Salonika, effective 14th December 1918.

There should be ample local news coverage in the Wallsend library archives

He suffered a gun shot wound to his right knee in mid May 1916 and was treated at Wharncliffe War Hospital in Sheffield

Hold on a mo, in 1917 he seems to have been transferred to 195th Heavy Battery Royal Garrison Artillery. Same age and occupation, so it must be him.... embarked Nov 1917 from Southampton to Alexandria and then an interview with Admiralty, perhaps his expertise as a shipwright????

That resulted in him being sent back on the transport ship "Norman" to the UK to work in the National Shipyard....

Edwards next of kin was his father Thomas, of 164 Station Road....

Whow thats fantastic many thanks Kevin

If you use the "Add Reply" button a little lower on the page, rather than "Reply" it stops the entire previous post from being quoted again....

Pleased to be of help, but I thought you had already found his Service records, they are on "a popular Family History website"... ahem!!

You should download them and read for yourself.

Hopefully another Pal will pick up on the Military Medal and London Gazette and help you find out why he was awarded it, and perhaps tie it back to some action he was in.

After his wounding, which looks as if it might have been April 1917, then he seems to have needed further attention and been passed down the casualty chain until reaching Sheffield for 48 days in hospital. So his award might be for something about then, or even later when he was in Palestine, but that doesn't seem to have been much "active" in his service....