Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pte Robert James Diment - 10936

Guest jules_22

Guest jules_22

Hi

I'm trying to research my local war memorial (Milton Abbas, Dorset) and I am having trouble getting details on some of the soldiers,

Pte Robert James Diment was in A coy 5th Bn Dorsetshire Regt. He died 25/4/1915, I found him on the CWGC and he is buried in Aldershot. I have looked on ancestry and found no record. Is there another source where I could find the cause of death or more information?

Thank you

Jules,

The only way to find the cause of his death is to purchase a copy of his death cert. from the General Register Office, cost £9.25. Can be done online.

The particulars of his death registration are:

Diment, Robert J.

Registration District - Hambledon, Surrey

1915 Apr-May-June quarter

Volume 2A page 262

Age at death 22

1911 census may be of interest

Address Winterborne-Stickland, Blandford, Dorset

Robert J. Diment age 17 shepherd boy born Bingham Melcombe [Dorset]

He was the son of William James Diment a shepherd and Annie Diment. He had two brothers living in the household - William H. Diment, 20, a farm labourer, and Sidney G. Diment, 8, a schoolboy.

Eric

Jules,

Are you aware that Robert J. Diment's brother, William Henry, also died in the Great War?

There are no next of kin details in his entry in the CWGC register for Baghdad (North Gate) Cemetery. He was L/Cpl. 9386, 2nd Battn. Dorsetshire Regt. His entry in SDGW states that he was born Newton, Dorchester, Dorset, enlisted Dorchester [he enlisted in April 1912] and his residence was Blandford, Dorset. There is a service record for him on Ancestry which states that he "died from effects of heat whilst on military duty in Mesopotamia" 19.7.1917. His service record also confirms his father as William James Diment and his mother as Annie Diment. It also lists his siblings.

Thought I would mention it. I have no idea if he is one of your men on Milton Abbas War Memorial.

Eric

Assuming Milton Abbas is a fairly small place, to lose 2 men from the village on the same day must have hit hard...

001 CHURCHILL M 12624 5TH BN 21/08/1915 DORSETSHIRE REGIMENT

002 COOMBS HJ 40090 7TH BN 14/10/1916 LEICESTERSHIRE REGIMENT

003 FIANDER LJD 18195 5TH BN 29/11/1917 DORSETSHIRE REGIMENT

004 KIDDLE EJ 10400 6TH BN 27/06/1917 DORSETSHIRE REGIMENT

005 MARTIN E 123201 214TH COY 08/01/1918 MACHINE GUN CORPS (INFANTRY)

006 VACHER F 266814 2ND/4TH BN 27/10/1918 OXFORD AND BUCKS LIGHT INFANTRY

007 WILLS EFF 10488 5TH BN 21/08/1915 DORSETSHIRE REGIMENT

Churchill and Wills are both on the Helles Memorial, so likely they were killed in the same incident, perhaps one trying to rescue the other?

The 5th Battalion seems to have been a popular place for the village boys!

As regards to Robert, as he is buried in the Aldershot Military Cemetery, it seems likely that he died of some illness or injury, maybe no resistance to what would otherwise be common germs, measles etc and maybe died at a small cottage hospital that may have been located in Hambledon?

This chap has a very similar Regimental Number to Private Churchill, I wonder if he's a relation to your Robert?

021 DIMENT WRC 12632 5TH BN 26/09/1916 DORSETSHIRE REGIMENT