Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

debretts 1950 onwards

Coldstreamer

Hello

any one have a copy of Debretts ? - any years from 1940-1950 1950s onwards Im trying to verify if a JH MCNEILE was created a CMG

thanks

Ian

Ian,

I do not have Debretts but the following announcements may be of interest. I believe this is your man John Henry McNeile. Place names which have come up in other postings ref. McNeile would seem to confirm this. None of the announcements make reference to him being CMG. Hope this is the right man and the information is useful.

The Times 13 Oct. 1926

FORTHCOMING MARRIAGES

MR. J. H. McNEILE AND LADY KATHARINE PLEYDELL-BOUVERIE

The engagement is announced between John Henry McNeile of Kippilaw, St. Boswells only son of the late Lieutenant Colonel John McNeile and Mrs. McNeile, and Katharine, daughter of the Earl and Countess of Radnor, of Longford Castle, Salisbury. [The marriage took place on 1 Jan. 1927]

London Gazette Issue 36332 of 14.1.1944 page 343

C. Gds.

Lt. J. H. McNeile (144354) having attained the age limit of liability to recall ceases to belong to the Res. of Offrs., 19th Jan 1944.

The Times 31 March 1962

LATEST WILLS

McNEILE, Lady Katharine, of Bromham, Wiltshire, Late member of Wiltshire County Council, wife of John Henry McNeile, intestate, (gross, £13,635) (duty paid, £2,647) .. .. .. £13,250

John Henry McNeile remarried in 1966 quarter 2 in Devizes, Wiltshire District to Agnes T. Sweetapple.

The Times 17 April 1978

DEATHS

McNEILE - On April 14 1978, in Devizes Hospital, after a short illness, John Henry McNeile of Nonsuch, Bromham, Chippenham, aged 85, [he was born 2.8.1892.] beloved husband, father, and grandfather. Cremation private. Service Chittoe Church, Thursday, April 20, at 2.30pm.

As I stated above, I hope this is the right man and the information is new and of some use.

Eric

Thanks for the info - the CMG still eludes me...

Hi Ian,

I have a copy of Debretts for 1940. The only men who have similar surnames under Companionage, are:

1) Engineer Rear Admiral Percival Edwin McNeil, C.B.

2) Brig.Gen. Angus John McNeill, C.B., C.B.E., D.S.O., T.D.

Unfortunately I do not have any more recent editions.

Robert

Robert, Im wondering now if he was really awarded one

can you check a

ADF GASCOIGNE

hw is another Lt that has CMG next to his name from same source

Thanks

Hi Ian,

The only person of this name is: Mrs L.G.D.T.Gascoigne, C.B.E.

Seems that your source may be flawed?

Robert

A. D. F. Gascoigne was C.M.G. later advanced to K.C.M.G.

London Gazette Issue 35586 of 5.6.1942 page 2480

To be Additional Members of the Third Class, or Companions, of the said Most Distinguished Order [The Order of St. Michael and St. George]

Alvary Douglas Frederick Gascoigne Esq., His Majesty's Consul-General in Tangier [11th June 1942]

London Gazette Issue 38161 of 30.12.1947 page 7

To be Members of the Second Class, or Knights Commmanders, of the Most Distinguished Order:-

Alvary Douglas Frederick Gascoigne Esq., C.M.G., United Kingdom Political Representative in Japan [1st Jan. 1948]

The Times 20.4.1970

DEATHS

GASCOIGNE - On April 18th 1970, peacefully in London, Sir Alvary Douglas Frederick Gascoigne, G.B.E., K.C.M.G., H.M. Diplomatic Service, retired, of Lotherton Hall, Aberford, Yorkshire. Funeral private. Memorial Service to be announced later.

A brief obituary was published the same day.

• 3 years later...

few years late replying but thanks for looking

I have still be unable to find an entry for him

• 1 year later...

bouncing this one back up as would like to confirm either way - the source of the CMG is a 1942(?) Army List

Thanks in anticipation and hope

He is listed in the 1956 Kelly's Handbook but his bio does not indicate any CMG.

Thanks - will send you a PM

Coldstreamer

Have you tried searching the London Gazette? The award of a CMG should be noted there.

He may have been given an obituary in The Times or The Daily Telegraph, as well as the death notice given in your earlier post. Bear in mind that The Times suspended publication for a while in 1978-79.

If he was awarded the CMG, he probably worked for HM Diplomatic Service or HM Consular Service. His name may therefore appear in editions of the Diplomatic Service List.

Ron

Hello

yes tried all those. I have only seen it in one place, an Army list that he was CMG. I have to assume it was a typo

Ian