Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

First Battle of Barking Creek 1914

centurion

The Battle of Barking Creek usually refers to a WW2 friendly fire incident on 6 September 1939 when fighters responding to a false report of a German raid clashed and two Hurricanes were shot down. However there seems to have been an earlier false report of a German raid associated with Barking Creek - on 2nd August 1914 when there was a false report of a pre-emptive German landing at Barking Creek. Trains from London were stopped and soldiers in transit off loaded and there was some disruption of movement as territorial units were being assembled. Does anyone have further info on this 1914 scare?

Centurion

Out of interest what is your source for this? The handwritten diary kept by the Adjutant General's department at the War Office makes no mention of it and I wonder whether it had something to do with the Cabinet's decision on the evening of 2 August for all TF and Special Reserve units to halt their movement to annual camps and return to their peacetime locations. Until this was done, mobilisation prper could not begin.

Charles M

Centurion

Out of interest what is your source for this? The handwritten diary kept by the Adjutant General's department at the War Office makes no mention of it and I wonder whether it had something to do with the Cabinet's decision on the evening of 2 August for all TF and Special Reserve units to halt their movement to annual camps and return to their peacetime locations. Until this was done, mobilisation prper could not begin.

Charles M

I've seen various references by men whose journeys were interrupted. The best is an account by W.G Martin of the 12th London Regiment later 168th Machine gun company who certainly attributes it to a scare that the Germans had landed at Barking. But his and his units journey was broken at Eastleigh during the day and before the evening of the 2nd