Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Surveying equipment? Heliograph?

Moonraker

I'm trying to work out what this equipment is, photographed at Bulford Camp, probably between 1912 and 1915. My first thought was that it might be something to do with surveying; then a heliograph came to mind.Just as I was posting this, I realised that it looked more like hoses and nozzles for fire-fighting.

Rather more informed suggestions appreciated.

Moonraker

post-6017-0-34779800-1306169707.jpg

They look like beautifully-polished brass fire hose nozzles and standpipes to me. I think I can see the rolled up hose too. And there's also a key for turning the water on and off at a hydrant.

Tom

Blimey, Tom, that must be a record. It only took me 40 seconds to edit after posting and in that time you had jumped in, confirming my third thought.

Thanks.

Moonraker

You beat me to it.

Would also like to point out that it looks as if the man on the right is wearing a 'simplified' battledress tunic, so probably 1915 rather than pre-war.

That's one hell of a big mallet as well. I suspect that the big thing is a box for holding the bits and pieces on display.

Nigel

Hi all

It`s the unit fire cart , I remember pulling one round the depot whilst on guard in the early 70`s

Regards John.

Definately, standpipe, key and bar, hoses and branches (I bet they enjoyed polishing them!!).

Well remembered from the drill yard at Southwark :blink: