Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

53284 Private Harold Parker MGC

hmsk212

Hi

53284 Private Harold Parker Machine Gun Corps. Born in Nottingham, served from 14th November 1914 until discharged 18th October 1917, was in France from 13th September 1916 to 4th February 1917. Cause of discharge is shown as being physically unfit due to Diabetes.

The Medical Board report states :- Diabetes originated at Clipstone in July 1917 as a Result of Active Service. Nervous Strain of Active Service. Regular Out-Patient treatment. Permanent. Total incapacity at present.

His MPX9 Pensioner's Record Card shows Invaling Disibility ( Diabetes ) Date of Origin ( July 1917 ) Cause of Disability ( Act Service Attrib ). Also shows Pensioner Deceased. Died on 28th December 1919.

His Death Certificate shows that he was an Army Pensioner and gives the cause of death at age 26, as Diabetes Mellitus.

I think that nowadays the cause of diabetes would not have been put as being attributable to the strain of active service but as this was the reason given for his discharge I feel that he should be considered for commemoration by the CWGC.

His address at the time of his death was 53 Lees Hill Street, Nottingham. I have no idea where he is buried and with such a common surname his grave may be almost impossible to find.

I would be grateful for any advice and if appropriate help with getting Harold recognised as a Casualty of War.

Thanks

Steve

See http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=156726&view=getnewpost my noncom case for Gilbert Victor Drew was very similar, and he is now on the Debt of Honour register

Steve

The usual "gold standard" evidence for CWGC/MoD is a death certificate linking cause of death to a service attributable cause of discharge. You seem to have it.

You could write to CWGC setting out the case and enclosing the certificate and the relevent pages from his service file. Alternatively, the In From the Cold Project will be happy to submit it on your behalf through our existing arrangements with CWGC. If you wish to go down the latter route, please make initial contact with us through our website:

http://www.infromthecold.org/

I'm unfussed about the modern interpretation of the condition and think this man should go forward and let the MoD make of it what they wish.

John

Hi John

Many thanks for your input, I have contacted the In From The Cold group via the website as I would prefer that their expertise is used to get Harold recognised rather than risk failure due to some form of incompetence on my behalf.

Cheers

Steve

Steve

I have started a grave search on your behalf at Nottingham

Cheers

Chris

Steve

Further to Davids' post and just to boost your morale re acceptance I also have had a succesful acceptance where death was due to Diabetis Mellitus attributable to active service.

Hywyn

Hi

A great big thanks to the " In From The Cold Group " who are going to pursue this on my behalf.

Steve

Steve

I have started a grave search on your behalf at Nottingham

Cheers

Chris

Many thanks Chris, it is much appreciated.

Steve

• 2 years later...

After 2 years he has finally been found at Nottingham Church Cemetery

• 2 months later...

PARKER, HAROLD Rank: Private Service No: 53284 Date of Death: 28/12/1919 Age: 26 Regiment/Service: Machine Gun Corps Grave Reference Laburnum. 6498. Cemetery NOTTINGHAM CHURCH CEMETERY Additional Information:

Son of Albert and Mrs A.E.Parker, of Nottingham.

N.B.

Recent research has shown that Private Parker is buried here. The Commission is in the process of producing a headstone to mark his grave.

Commemoration Moved From UK BOR