Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2nd Battalion Royal Warwicks

tiswot

Hello

I am trying to find out what part the 2nd Royal Warwicks took on the Somme. They were part of 22nd Brigade, 7th Div, Fourth Army and my research had led me to believe they took part in the battle for Mametz on 1st July 1916. But what did they do after this? My interest is really up to the end of July, one of my ancestors died on 24th July, possibly from Gas - it would be nice to find some confirmation or further info.

Relative is : William Baskott, no. 1538. Buried at Rouen,

Thanks in advance.

Main action after Mametz was in the battle for Bazentin Ridge, 14 July. They then went into the Delville Wood sector late in August.

Thanks Chris.

So after Bazentin Ridge they were taken out of the line? This would mean my William could have been wounded before 14 July which would tie in with him being buried in Rouen rather than locally. He must have survived to get the to big field hospital there.

Liz

This man is problematic. He is noted on page 187 of Kenneth Fowler's Roll of Honour Vol 1 South Warwickshire (under All Saints Leamington) as follows....

Died of wounds Rouen Military Hospital 24.7.16

Age 20, youngest son of Samuel Baskott, an out-porter at Covent Garden Market, Leamington.

Born Kenilworth, enlisted Warwick, lived Leamington.

'In his third term as a reservist he saw action in La Bassee, Neuve Chapelle and Ypres (if he was 20 he could not have been a reservist)

Only overseas some time after 1.1.16 as he was entitled to the War and Victory medals

'He had been wounded in the head, neck, spine and foot at Festubert in May 1916 and he never recovered' (fits with died of wounds, 2nd Bn were at Festubert - 38 deaths and many wounded at that time i.e. 1915 NOT 1916 but medals suggest not out then. 2nd Bn were on the Somme May 1916 anyway)

Brother John, drummer 2/7th, lost a leg and discharged.

Problem - Fowler does not cite the source of his info