Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2nd. bat. Lincolns and Zenith Trench

kidneybean

Rather than hi jack previous topic about 2nd Lincolns in October 1916 I would like to get more information from the experts about their attack on 23rd. October of Zenith Trench when a large proportion of men were either wounded, killed or missing. My great Uncle George Green, No 23664 was listed as missing ,later confirmed killed on Monday 23rd of October 1916 and remembered on the Thiepval memorial,

regards

Simpson's History of the lincolnshire Regiment gives a brief account of this action. That 20 to 22 October there was a great deal of artillery fire from both sides. The attackon 23 October was postponed from 9.30 in the morning until 2.30 in the afternoon because of fog. The 2nd lincolns assembled in Gusty Trench. A Coy and D Coy where the attack troops with C and B Coys in cose support. 2nd Rifle Brigade were on the left and 2nd Middlesex on the right. The troops followed the creeping barrage very closely. But sadly the first and second wave of Lincolns were almost shot down to a man as they came under very heavy machine gun and rifle fire. The Lincolns attacked with 16 officers and 470 men - casualties amounted to 13 officers and 272 men. A very sad day indeed for the Lincolns. The Battalion War Diary might provide further details.

.... War Diary, does anyone have copy of this date?

here it is....

Dave

post-357-0-44625500-1306250113.jpg

Thanks Croonaert for your kind post of Diary Extract. I note with interest they use W,X,Y& Z for company notation in the Diary as opposed to A,B,C&D. I wonder if any expert could hazard a guess as to whether my Great Uncle with No 23664 could have been in Wor Z comp first wave or X or Y Comp 2nd wave before being killed /missing

Regards Freeform

I note with interest that No.23664 Pte. George Green served with the 8th Battalion prior to his service with the 2nd Lincs.

Over the last few weeks I have been making a study of a few soldiers who were in the same batch of recruits (numberwise) to your relation. Many of whom were firstly with the 8th and then the 2nd.

No.25221 Pte. Percy Chappell 8th and 2nd Lincs KIA 23/10/1916 is one of them.

He was in 'X' Coy when KIA.

Dick

Hi Dick how did you know he served with 8th.Lincs firstly? Unfortunately all I have is a Mic with very little info on it, his SDGW and CWGC memorial information. I believe he may have enlisted in Spalding ,Lincs. Also I have found his Photo and Orbituary in Peterborough Advertiser in November 1917 alongside his younger brother who was killed at 3rd. Ypres. George was firstly listed as missing.

Regards Freeform

Ff

I have his BWM/VM Medal Roll, it lists the battalions a man served in. If you message me with your email address I can forward it to you.

If like No.25221 Pte. Percy Chappell of Barton-upon-Humber and No.25246 George William Atkinson of Redbourne, Brigg, he could have been in the same batch of men sent out to France, something which I have found quite regularly.

The men I mention embarked from Folkstone 15/09/1916, landed Boulogne 15/09/1916, went on to Calais for the 16/09/1916 where they had been posted to the 8th.

From there they were posted and joined the 2nd on the 28/09/1916 as replacement for men lost in the Somme battles.

Chappell was KIA 23/10/1916.

Atkinson was KIA 04/03/1917.

Dick in Brigg

Hi Dick in Brigg Have sent you PM not sure whether it will work, if you need more info let me know.Thanks for the info you have already given me

Regards Freeform

Hi FF

Im stuck at work and cannot get away until Friday, so i will get the Roll off to you on the Saturday.

DW

Thanks Dick don't worry,effort appreciated, do you have any medal rolls for 10th Battalion (Grimsby Chums) I have another relative killed at Arras on 28th April 1917?

Hi ff

Email sent.

Chums?............Just my area!

Bung me a name and I'll get straight on it.

DW

Hi Dick email sent with information on 10th. Battalion relative name Benjamin Wilson No 27824,KIA 28th April 1917 at Arras, the battalion were attackin the Chemical works I believe, he is buried in British cemetry at Roeux,

Regards Freeform

Ff

Email on its way, Roll and MIC.

No.27824 Pte. Benjamin Wilson served with the 1st Battalion and was posted later to the 10th.

He would have gone to France sometime between the end of September, 1916 and January, 1917. The men whom I have researched from this number range went around this time.

One man went from the 6th, to the 10th, to the 6th to the 2nd then the 7th Battalions, all from the start of 1917.

Another from that number set trained with the Lincolnshires' and on arrival in France was posted to the Somerset Light Infantry. You see, it was a matter of luck as to where you were placed, particularly toward the end of the war.

DickW

Thanks Dick you are very knowleable on these numbers especially where their records have not survived. I think my 3 great Uncles all went to france in that period with the Lincolns, 1 record has survived and he was transferred to Kings own Royal Lancasters on arrival from 4th. Lincolns.

Regards Freeform

• 1 year later...

A few years ago I interviewed Paddy (Albert Edward) Mills (ex Villa and Grimsby Town footballer) Percy Chappell was his cousin and he was married with five children.

Percy CHAPPELL

33 years old

27th October 1916

Private 25221 2nd Lincolnshire Regiment of Barton Upon Humber

Killed in action, he left a wife and five children behind. Paddy Mills (a veteran I interviewed years ago) met Percy, his cousin, while they were both home on leave. Percy said to Paddy after a chat, ‘I’ll shake hands with you now; I know I’m not coming back.’ He was a Primitive Methodist. Percy is remembered at Thiepval memorial, having no known grave. Pier Face 1c. (Visited 2008)

He was the son of Sarah Chappell, a greengrocer and lived at 30 Pasture road and was a mineral water operative.

• 1 year later...

Tis a small world!

If Albert Edward Mills is the Albert Edward Mills I think he is, he is my great aunts son (a lost part of the family, just rediscovered)

Then, to cap it, Percy Chappell's medals are in my collection, another distant relation.

My head is in a spin........

RW

Hi Dick I decided today to have another look at my old posts whilst trying to put a few bits together for any 100 years exhibition that might come up locally The man in question was George Green 23664 with 2nd Lincs and Zenith Trench .I see One of lads within same batch is a relative of yours and has recently been mentioned here. I am wondering if you have acquired any more information on the action, like casualty lists and names etc that might help me since he has no record surviving.

• 4 years later...
On 05/03/2014 at 01:14, Bingo794 said:

Tis a small world!

If Albert Edward Mills is the Albert Edward Mills I think he is, he is my great aunts son (a lost part of the family, just rediscovered)

Then, to cap it, Percy Chappell's medals are in my collection, another distant relation.

My head is in a spin........

RW

Hi it’s been a wee while for this, but would you have a photo of Percy Chappell. I might have one, I’m not so sure  but I wanted confirmation-I have a great many in my Blog now-i expected to find one in Hull Daily Mail but it’s a trawl and one may turn up yet.  Also I don’t know if it was you that got in touch me there was some mixup of mine about who was Bertie Mills and he was Paddy Mills or Reginald Mills. Cheers !!