Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Marine Medical Unit RN Division

Jerrymurland

At St Julian Dressing Station Cemetery there are a number of men from the RM Medical Unit buried there - 6 of whom were killed on 30 December 1917. Not being in possesion of the RN Division history can anyone shed any light on the circumstances surrounding their deaths? Presumably it was the result of a shell but it would be good to know the exact circumstances.

Jerry

Jerry,

I'll see what I can find for you on these chaps

but the first point to make is that the 63rd (RN) Division lost very heavily on 30-31 Dec at Welsh Ridge:

killed, wounded and missing 63 officers and 1335 men, if I have read Jerrold correctly

regards

Michael

Ahhhh ...that accounts for it - any info on these guys would be gratefully received. Thanks

Jerry

The date you give is in error. The RND was not in the Ypres sector on 30 December 1917 but in the Flesquieres Salient, as Michael points out.These men died on 30 OCTOBER 1917. The 150th (RN) Field Ambulance War Diary merely states that six men of the unit were killed in action (and gives position C.12.b.7.3, sheet 28).

Now that makes sense.... there was me wondering how Welsh Ridge got from Cambrai to Ypres! Put it down to Dementia setting in.

jerry