Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Searching for Information

RussT

• Admin

Hi All

Newbie here - hoping someone can point me in the right direction and/or have any information on the following:

Dad & I recently visited the resting place of his Uncle (my Great Uncle) Thomas Hayes of Chester. He's lies in Boulogne Eastern Cemetery, died, age 25, on 12/07/1917. He's recorded (GWGM) as being Private 25911 in the 15th Bn Lancashire Fusiliers.

I wish to do some research into his (short) military record but I seem to have stumbled at the first hurdle. Looked in the National Archives but couldn't find him – but then did a few wildcard searches and came up with a Thomas Hays with No 25911 of the Lancashire Fusiliers. Despite the incorrect surname, I downloaded that assuming it's his MIC (could that be right?) but there's not much on it - gives the same (incorrect?) surname, just says Lan. Fus. and then some Refs next to Victory and British Medals (are these awarded posthumously?).

A few queries:

Is this likely to be the correct MIC for this man?

Given that he lies in Boulogne and it states died, do I assume that he died of wounds? Could it be an illness or an accident?

Isn't the 15th Bn Lanc. Fus. the 1st Salford Pals? Just wondering how common it is that someone, for example, from Chester could be enlisted in that Bn. Is that common?

Where would you advise I go next to establish where he may have fought etc and how he may have been wounded etc?

Any help much appreciated,

Russell

Russell

Yes the 15th are the Salford pals. I'm sure he is not an orginal pal.

He is remebered In Chester Town Hall. Carls Cam

Outer Panel 4

Pte Robert J L GRINDLEY, 9th South Lanc's

Pte Terrence HADDOCK, 12th Cheshire

Joseph HALL, SS "Diomede"

L Cpl Albert E HARGROVE, 15th Cheshire

Sergt Major George HARP, 1st Cheshire

QMS F HARRIS, RASC

Sergt C R HARRISON, 5th Cheshire

Cpl Joseph HARRISON, 9th Royal Welsh Fusiliers

Pte W J HARRISON, 16th Lanc's Fusiliers

Drmr William H HAY, 3rd Cheshire

Pte Thomas HAYES, 15th Lanc's Fusiliers

Name:HAYES, THOMAS

Nationality:United Kingdom

Regiment/Service:Lancashire Fusiliers

Unit Text:15th

Bn.Age:25

Date of Death:12/07/1917

Service No:25911

Additional information:Son of Edward and Jane Hayes, of Boughton Heath, Chester.

Casualty Type:Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference:IV. A. 29.

Cemetery:BOULOGNE EASTERN CEMETERY

Hi Russell

SDGW has same details that Atnomis gives but also died of wounds and formerly 137964 R F A. Can anyone in the family recollect any mention of Thomas being in the artillery?

Duncan

• Admin

Thanks very much

Atnomis - yes, I had all the info on parents etc (as per CWGC) and that he's remembered in Chester Town Hall - he's also on the memorial in St Paul's church in Boughton.

Duncan - so it's confirmed that he died of wounds - my Dad believed that was the case. Very interesting that your sources show him in the RFA (Royal Field Artillary?) as 137964) . No idea about that (hopefully a new line of enquiry) and there's very little family to ask - and those we've asked already didn't even know the little info we had. Was it normal for an RFA man to transfer to an infantry unit?

Any ideas anyone to these and my original queries?

Regards

Russell

A few queries:

Is this likely to be the correct MIC for this man?

Given that he lies in Boulogne and it states died, do I assume that he died of wounds? Could it be an illness or an accident?

Isn't the 15th Bn Lanc. Fus. the 1st Salford Pals? Just wondering how common it is that someone, for example, from Chester could be enlisted in that Bn. Is that common?

Where would you advise I go next to establish where he may have fought etc and how he may have been wounded etc?

Any help much appreciated,

Russell

Died means accident or illness. you'll find Died of wounds or Killed in action.

Looks like he might have been re cap badged. this happened to re-enforce regiments after losses, to bring Regiments up to strength. He might of asked to go into Inf Battalion?

On of the guys might have information for you if not try http://www.mikebooth2009.com/

Simon

Thanks very much

Atnomis - yes, I had all the info on parents etc (as per CWGC) and that he's remembered in Chester Town Hall - he's also on the memorial in St Paul's church in Boughton.

Russell

Do you have a picture of the memorial in St Pauls? If not I'll see if I can pop down this week. Im off until Wednesday.

Simon

• Admin

Antomis

Many thanks for the offer - but it's OK I have a photo already.

On the Town Hall mem there's quite a few in the Lanc. Fus. but only one other in the 15th Bn and he was KIA on 1/7/1916, when the Bn were engaged at Thiepval as part of 96th Bg/32nd Dv. But of course I don't know if my GU fought there if I can't find his enlist date/records etc.

I just downloaded the 32nd Div war diary from the NA (500+ pgaes long!!) but I guess it wont give much or any info on the lower ranks.

I see you say that he did not die of wouonds - but that contradicts was Duncan says on his reply according to SDWG records. Are you still certain?

Regards

Russell