Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Step Short, Folkestone

mike gunnill

Not sure this is the correct section, but he goes.........

The Step Short Group from Folkestone will open their new shop/centre on May 27th from 12noon until 16.00 hours. It can be found in Tram Road, Folkestone close to the harbour. It was the old visitor centre in the car park. Further opening times/dates to be arranged.

There will be a display of WW1 images and details plus specially designed mugs will be on sale to raise funds. Two different mugs will be available, one with the Step Short soldiers marching and the other with the same image plus a picture of The Mole Cafe. The group needs your support and have exciting plans for the future.

Further details via the web site: http://www.stepshort.co.uk/

Thank you

Thanks Mike,

Yes indeed exciting times for Step Short. Having gained a base we hope to progress on a number of projects.

Primary project is the WW1 Visitor books, then renovation of the Road of Remembrance, plus rebuilding the remembrance arch at the top of the hill. Also the events team are working on projects to support the annual march down the Road of Remembrance each August (an event that get bigger every year).

There are now three types of mugs for sale in the shop.

John

The Step Short Visitor Centre in Folkestone formally opens on Friday at 1200hrs. The opening will be attended by the local press and we hope Meridian Television. Local volunteers are being recruited to man the Visitor Centre and so far we have 3 days a week covered. I'm putting up a photo to show the interior and some of the displays (Treasurer Paul Emden at desk). We hope to have a display cabinet with WW1 artifacts on display soon. 3 types of mugs are for sale. One shows the classic picture of soldiers marching down the Road of Remembrance, another shows the Harbour canteen in the Great War and the third show Step Short images. We will also be selling Postcards showing classic photos taken in Folkestone in the Great War. These will hopefully be available in June.

The Visitor Centre will also have available local tourist information and town maps. Please call in if you are visiting!

John

post-8629-0-61637000-1306355346.jpg

John

I will be there on Friday with my wife, she had two Great Uncles(who came from Folkstone) killed and her Grandfather was an RE Tunneller who survived so we will definately be there.

John

John

I will be there on Friday with my wife, she had two Great Uncles(who came from Folkstone) killed and her Grandfather was an RE Tunneller who survived so we will definately be there.

John

Thanks very much John, would love to see you there or if I've gone back to the shop it's only 100 metres away.

John

The new Step Short Office / Visitor Centre centre in Folkestone was opened this afternoon by the Mayoress of Folkestone and the event was also attended by Damian Collins M.P. The event was well attended and I was really pleased to meet forum stalwart John Reed and his wife there.

The centre is located at the side of the Harbour car park in Tram Road.

Here is a photo of the opening.

John

post-8629-0-61016600-1306501418.jpg

I attended the Opening of Step Short today it was job well done and was a pleasure to meet all concerned. It was so nice to put faces to names and here are a few photographs.

John

post-1365-0-20703500-1306521763.jpg

I may visit Folkestone next month,either prior,or more likely, my return from France for a little while,before my overnight stay,in Dover,and drive up north,beyond Watford. :D

I know the Folkestone Harbour area e.g. the Rotunda(when it was a funfair),Lees Cliff Hall and the Cliff Railway and dare,I say it,when the Ferries crossed to Boulogne.

However,I have plenty Coffee drinking mugs, in the house,so to buy another,to me, seems wasted money,regardless of the Short Step's desire to raise funds with it's/Town's WW1 connection.

Like my Uncle wrote,in a Post Card from Folkestone to Scotland,in May 1915"Arrived here alright this morning but we are not to get the Boat untill night"

George

I may visit Folkestone next month,either prior,or more likely, my return from France for a little while,before my overnight stay,in Dover,and drive up north,beyond Watford. :D

I know the Folkestone Harbour area e.g. the Rotunda(when it was a funfair),Lees Cliff Hall and the Cliff Railway and dare,I say it,when the Ferries crossed to Boulogne.

However,I have plenty Coffee drinking mugs, in the house,so to buy another,to me, seems wasted money,regardless of the Short Step's desire to raise funds with it's/Town's WW1 connection.

Like my Uncle wrote,in a Post Card from Folkestone to Scotland,in May 1915"Arrived here alright this morning but we are not to get the Boat untill night"

George

Well George, having just saved yourself £4.99 maybe you could join Step Short and know the membership fee will assist in many worthwhile projects such a putting the Harbour Canteen Visitor Books on the internet. Step Short had no paid workers so nobody earns anything out of it. A true good cause.

John

John,

It was meant as a "tongue in cheek" comment. :D

Having first visited Folkestone in the 1970's to attend a Trade Union Conference plus the odd holiday since when the kids were little and now the odd lunch stop on the way to/from France I appreciate how the place has declined plus its desire to regenerate.

If I can assist financially when I next visit I will.I appreciate the mugs are a starting line and you hope to expand your range shortly.It may be when I visit something else will catch my eye.

George

Thanks George

We are also getting postcards printed which will have classic greatwar photos from Folkestone on them and some coasters as well.

The visitor centre is open today and was busy this morning.

John

On Sunday 29th May, we went down to Folkestone to see the new Short Step exhibition – it was closed and blinds down, on a bank holiday!

No information on when it would be open.

So don’t make a special trip to Folkestone to see this exhibition!

dabtoe

On Sunday 29th May, we went down to Folkestone to see the new Short Step exhibition it was closed and blinds down, on a bank holiday!

No information on when it would be open.

So dont make a special trip to Folkestone to see this exhibition!

dabtoe

Dabtoe

Please see post #3 regarding opening hours coverage. This project is completely volunteer run and opening hours will be built up. The centre was open on Saturday. At present it is not an exhibition at all. It is an office where information about Step Short and Folkestone is handed out. In the next week a glass cabinet is being placed in the office which will contain some WW1 artfacts. When opening hours are 'firmed up' and are reliably covered, the information will be placed on the website.

I'm sorry you felt your visit was wasted but I have had the same complaint against English Heritage which is a far larger, better funded and professionally staffed organisation. Please give us time to get this up and running.

John