Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

belgian soldiers in british convalesence home

Guest Ursula

Guest Ursula

I'm looking for information on wounded belgian soldiers staying in british convalescence homes.

My great grandfather Albert Lacroix (19 years old) was wounded in october 1914 and brought to England. He stayed 3 months at Kidbrook Park, Forrest Row, Sussex.

He stayed there with a number of fellow belgian soldiers. When he returned to the trenches he received letters and parcels from the families and nurses he met at Kidbrook Park.

I am looking for more information. General information on the stay of belgian or other foreign soldiers in english hospitals and convalescence homes. Were there records on the number of foreign soldiers staying in England.

And more specific information on Kidbrook Park at that time. I found out that the owner at that time was the Kekewich family. But my grandfather speaks of a mrs Hamilton Grace as the owner. Her husband was a major under general French. But I can't find any information on him.

I also have some pictures of my grandfather at Kidbrook Park. One with one of the nurse who kept supporting him with letters and parcels when he returned to the trenches. Her name was Sister Pratt. I would very much like to know what happend to her.

I hope this forum can help me.

For the people interested: my great grandfather survived the war after staying in 3 POW camps in Germany in 1918. Afterwards he stayed in the belgian army and fought in the Second World War and stayed again for 4 years inPOW camps in Germany. He died a natural death at the age of 74.

5296_kp-11.jpgThis is a picture of Kidbrooke Park best wishes Joan