Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

9th Battalion Northumberland Fusiliers

Rycroft

Need a little help on a soldier

Pte William Spencer 13235 9th Battalion Northumberland Fusiliers KIA 07/07/1916. He is buried in Gordon Dump Cemetery at Ovillers -La Boisselle Just looking to find out what the 9th was doing around that date. He came from Willington Quay on Tyneside. His brother Joseph Spencer MGC survived, and his other brother Frank Spencer was with the 17 th Middlesex (Footballers Battalion) Any help with pointers appreciated.

We have just visited Arras and Gordon Dump and now I wish I had done more research before I went !!! Still a good excuse for another trip in September.

Thanks

Rycroft

This is the resting place of W Spencer at Gordon Dump

Rycroft

post-32142-0-83263000-1305804573.jpg

Visited TNA last week and have photocopy of the War Diary for 7/7/16 - if you want a copy let me know.

Minerva

Thank you Minerva I have sent you a PM

Regards

Rycroft

War diary arrived today thank you Minerva it is very much appreciated. Facinating reading. In 4 days from the 5th to 7th July 1916 lost, killed, wounded, or missing 14 Officers and 299 OR. How many men made up a battalion in 1916 ??

Rycroft

• 3 months later...

Well almost September and we are booked to go back to France next week. If anyone should need anything around Gordon Dump just post or PM me. I will be taking the copy of the diary for the period that Minerva has given me Thanks once again for the diary.

Rycroft

Remembering Pte Henry Wilkinson 8th East Lancs and Pte William Spencer Northumberland Fusiliers

• 2 years later...

I am researching the death of 18 year old temp second lieutenant John Winton of 9th battalion Northumberland fusiliers, also on 7th July. I am confused. He was buried at Ovillers. His colonel says he was "leading his men to the assault when last seen, is believed to have been killed". But I had assumed it was against Ovillers, but maybe it was against Fricourt?

I would very much like to understand just what the battalion was doing over these first days of the battle, so if anyone could help I would be grateful.

Many thanks.

Will