Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

SSM E H Dixon 1st/1st Co of London Yeo

Hello I am researching SSM Edward Hooper Dixon 1st/1st County of London Yeomanry. I am trying to dig up any biographical info on him....

I have trawled ancestry etc and this is what I have so far:

1. MIC. 15 Star, BWM, VM

a. Army No. 2701 and later 260026 (Corps of Hussars)

b. Comm to Labour Corps 4th Aug 1918

c. List of claims submitted by DAG 3rd Echelon GHQ EEF Alexandria on 13th Mar 1919

d. resided at 3 Holme Lodge, St Nicholas, Cricklewood.

2. MiD LG 14 Jun 1918 p.7050

3. MSM LG 26th Apr 1917 (no mention on MIC 1. above)

4. Other MIC has incorrect number 360026

5. Corps of Hussars 1914-16 Star Medal Roll confirms the above. Has "Dis. Con. Regt not stated 4.8.18" which I assume is a typo for Dis Comm (commissioned) etc...which would tie in with the MIC.

6. Ancestry: Born 18th Aug 1881. 1901 census has him aged 20 living at 30 Richmond Rd, Staines.... married Lilian Christina Bulgin on 28th Sep 1912 at St Michael's Cricklewood. Father recorded as Arthur Dixon. Died 3Q 1973.

7. No Pension records or Service records found....

8. His photo albums are at the Liddle Collection.

Any additional info would be gratefully received....Regards MG

Hello

The only additional help I can offer is from the 1911 census.

He is a guest/visitor at his future wifes home in 11 Cedar Road Cricklewood the same address as on the marriage record.

Dental

Hello

The only additional help I can offer is from the 1911 census.

He is a guest/visitor at his future wifes home in 11 Cedar Road Cricklewood the same address as on the marriage record.

Dental

Thank you. I suspect that I will not get a great deal more info. I did not realise the 1911 Census had been released. MG

Martin

Have you checked out these two files at the NA, Kew?

WO 374/19873 DIXON, 2/Lieut E H 1908-1921

WO 374/19874 DIXON, Lieut E H 1910-1920

According to the Index to Officer's Long Number Service Papers there are three possible E H Dixons commissioned whose files they may be, namely Edward Hooper Dixon, Eric Harold Dixon and Edwin Henry Dixon. It may be worth posting a request in the "Look-up, Photo & Document requests" sub-forum to see if anyone going to Kew can pull the files for you to see if they relate to your man.

Regards

Steve

His Commission, London Gazette #30919, dated 25th September 1918, Page 11401. Link...http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/30919/supplements/11401

Labour Corps.

The undermentioned to be temp. 2nd Lts. for duty with Egyptian Labour Corps:

25 July 1918.

No. S.4/044276 Cpl. John Morgan Munro.

No. S/354850 Pte. John Abbey Stretch.

No. 207306 Pte. Leonard Digby Ovens.

No. 139161 Sjt. Henry Andrew.

No. 203467 Lce.-Sjt. Fred Naylor.

5 Aug. 1918.

No. 260026 Sqdn. Sjt.-Maj. Edward Hooper Dixon.

No. 260020 Sqdn. Sjt.-Maj. Henry Walter Morris.

No. 479069 Pte. Allan Soley Dobson.

No. 31526 Sjt. Henry Osborne Hughes.

No. 536818 Pte. Reginald Albert Streader.

No. SS/1687 Pte. George Alexander Eley.

No. 549112 Lee.-Cpl. William Arthur Livesey Slingsby.

No. 1937 Bdr. Clement Rickerby Trevaskis.

Regards

Steve

• 1 month later...
Guest StevenEyres

Hello Martin,

I am also researching Edward H Dixon. My interest is based on Family History work I am carrying out on the Bulgin family.

Before the Great War Edward Dixon was in the 15th Middlesex ( London and Scottish ) Rifle Volunteers. He had joined this 'out fit' with his Brother- in- law ; Alexander Virtue Dickson Bulgin.

Do you have a family connection with Edward Dixon ?

Regards

Steve

• 8 years later...
On 18/05/2011 at 14:10, Guest said:

Hello I am researching SSM Edward Hooper Dixon 1st/1st County of London Yeomanry. I am trying to dig up any biographical info on him....

I have trawled ancestry etc and this is what I have so far:

1. MIC. 15 Star, BWM, VM

a. Army No. 2701 and later 260026 (Corps of Hussars)

b. Comm to Labour Corps 4th Aug 1918

c. List of claims submitted by DAG 3rd Echelon GHQ EEF Alexandria on 13th Mar 1919

d. resided at 3 Holme Lodge, St Nicholas, Cricklewood.

2. MiD LG 14 Jun 1918 p.7050

3. MSM LG 26th Apr 1917 (no mention on MIC 1. above)

4. Other MIC has incorrect number 360026

5. Corps of Hussars 1914-16 Star Medal Roll confirms the above. Has "Dis. Con. Regt not stated 4.8.18" which I assume is a typo for Dis Comm (commissioned) etc...which would tie in with the MIC.

6. Ancestry: Born 18th Aug 1881. 1901 census has him aged 20 living at 30 Richmond Rd, Staines.... married Lilian Christina Bulgin on 28th Sep 1912 at St Michael's Cricklewood. Father recorded as Arthur Dixon. Died 3Q 1973.

7. No Pension records or Service records found....

8. His photo albums are at the Liddle Collection.

Any additional info would be gratefully received....Regards MG

Bit late maybe.  I am a grandson of Edward Hooper Dixon, now aged 78 and living in Plymouth.  He had only one daugter, my mother, "Lilian Gratiana, or Betty for short".  Names alluded to Italian grandmother we are told. She married Norman Embleton while both lived in Osterley, Middlesex.  At that time Dixon was manager of Lloyds Bank, Houslow, looking after the Cavalry regiments there. It is said that many of his antecedents were bankers.  One experienced the seige of Paris (Prussian War).  Certainly Dixon was in Lloyds in London after WW1.  His brother Peregrine was also a Lloyds manager in Sussex.  Yeomanry annual camp was in Hyde Park.  Bank daytime; mess dinners every night.  He retired to Mylor Bridge, Cornwall, where his wife died, and then back in London he married Eva, a singer who did Masonic Lodge entertainment.  He was London Grand Primo for three years during WW2, I believe. He died in the Geriatric Hospital at Battle, Sussex.  I have a photo displayed of him as a Corporal in the Gordon Highlanders with his medals.  He had all the bars to the Boer War medal except one.  The London Scottish were the first Yeomanry Rgt to France in 1914 and immediately in the line at Messines Ridge.  I retired from the Royal Navy as a Lieut Cdr (GL) (S) after 34 years service in 1993..    .    

• 3 years later...

First Name: Edward Hooper

Surname: Dixon

Regiments served with:

Unit

Rank

Service Number

County of London Yeomanry

Serjeant Major

2710/ 260026

Egyptian Labour Corps

Second Lieutenant

Corps of Hussars

Second Lieutenant

First Name: E H

Surname: Dixon

Service Number: 260026

Gazette Info: Gazette Issue 30746. Mentioned in Despatches. I have the honour to forward herewith the names of those serving or who have served under my Command , whose distinguished and gallant services and devotion to duty I consider deserving of special mention.

Gazette Date: 11/06/1918

Gazette Page: 7050

Service: British Army

Regiment: Yeomanry