Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Private Robert Gould Dall, 1st Bn, Black Watch

Moriaty

I have just noticed that 3/4108 Private Robert Gould Dall, 1st Battalion, Black Watch from Freuchie, Fife in Scotland has two dates given for his death.

The CWGC web site, UK Soldiers that died in the Great War and the Scottish National War Memorial all say 10 January 1915.

His Medal Index Card says 10 May 1915.

Can anyone suggest which the correct date is?

He had arrived in France on 1 December 1914 and is commemorated at Le Touret.

Moriaty

The 1st Black watch Bn diary 10/1/1915 Givenchy, 2 OR's killed and 1 wounded.

CWGC says

001 DALL RG 3/4108 1ST BN 10/01/1915 BLACK WATCH (ROYAL HIGHLANDERS)-SDGW says KIA

002 TODD C 3/2620 1ST BN 10/01/1915 BLACK WATCH (ROYAL HIGHLANDERS)

Both 1st Bn

10/5/1915 Bn diary says at Hinges, (Went to billets Hinges on 9th) OR's killed 55, DOW 6, wounded 241, wounded and missing 6, missing 153.

10/1/1915 more likely to be correct?

Mike

There's only 1 entry for a Robert Dall on Scotland's People for 1915 and it's in "Service Return's" which ties in with him, it will give his date of death, it also gives a match for age 45 which is what's listed on CWGC, but it costs to view it.

If your unfamiliar with "service returns", they were hand written ledgers compiled at the time listing men who'd died in service, their name, rank, number, age (if known) cause and theatre of death, each Bn of each Regt had their own ledger, below is an example.

post-34049-0-36692500-1305732663.jpeg

Sam

Thanks for the various bits of information, I have got some credit at Scotland's People so will check out the Service Returns. I've got a note, possibly from the Fife Almanac, saying that Robert Gould Dall was killed by a sniper.

Moriaty

4108 Pte. R. Dall Black Watch was reported Killed in Action in the Times edition of 1st March 1915. So the MIC can't be correct.

John

Moriaty. The nominal roll BW appendix IV has 3/4108 Pte R.G. Dall KIA 10/1/15.

Aye Rob.

Thanks to all for the information, the date on the MIC remains a mystery.

Moriaty

• 11 years later...
  • Admin
On 18/05/2011 at 22:21, Moriaty said:

Thanks for the various bits of information, I have got some credit at Scotland's People so will check out the Service Returns. I've got a note, possibly from the Fife Almanac, saying that Robert Gould Dall was killed by a sniper.

Moriaty

Welcome to the forum. @Moriaty mentions the Fife Almanac.