Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

HMS Essex - Monmouth class cruiser.

Paul Dorrell

HMS Essex was built at Pembroke Dock between 1901and 1904 . She was a Monmouth class cruiser and saw service in the Atlantic between 1914 and 1916, I believe she was based in the Canary Islands during that time. In 1916 she was converted into a Destroyer depot ship, but I can't find any information about where she performed this duty. Can anyone tell me please?

Regards,

Paul

Shore Establishments of the Royal Navy, by Lt. Cdr. B. Warlow, R.N., gives:-

destroyer depot ship 1916-19, accommodation ship Devonport commissioned 01.01.1918-12.18 replaced by Albion.

David.

Paul

The NA at Kew has all the ESSEX log books for the period from 1 Jan 1914 through to 14 Mar 1917,with the exception of a period from Sep 1916 to end Feb 1917, and kept in the chronological sequence from ADM53/41085 through to 41102.None seen beyond Mar 1917 in the Catalogue.

Sotonmate

Thank you both, that's just what I wanted to know. Most grateful

Paul

Paul

The Ship's Logs I sampled today,from 1 Jan 1916, showed that the ship,was initially on patrols using Madeira,Canaries and Cape Verde as base ports. Cargo ship challenges were the order of their time on patrol. In Aug 1916 the ship sailed from Cape Verde for Plymouth,where it paid off on the 23rd. No Log Books then until Feb 1917,in Avonmouth, where it was storing until it commissioned on 5 March before sailing for Devonport,where the Log Books ended and she presumably became the Depot Ship noted by ARABIS here.

Sotonmate